ADVERTISEMENT

Clock Management Woes

PositYourself

Bronze Knight
Dec 28, 2021
What's the cause of Gus's bumbles in this area and will it ever improve?

"The true turning point, however, might have come moments earlier. Harvey extended the possession with a 3-yard gain, giving the Knights first-and-goal from the 10 with 1:06 left on the clock. On first down, Jefferson evaded pressure and scrambled for a 1-yard gain, but the Knights wasted 49 seconds in between those two snaps before Malzahn burned his final timeout of the half.

UCF tried to substitute personnel ahead of second-and-goal, allowing TCU the same opportunity at its own pace.

"Every time we subbed, it took forever for them to get off the field. They jogged in, barely," Malzahn said. "That's on me. We should have got points, at least three. … That wasn't the best clock management."

I don't understand why we don't have a two minute "package" with the personnel we have on the field. Like there shouldn't be all this hub bub to get a play call in during that time. If we don't have that timeout, we would have been screwed.

I saw Gus bitching at the refs but if the shoe was on the other foot we would have slow played our substitutions as well.

I don't understand why we don't have a two minute "package" with the personnel we have on the field. Like there shouldn't be all this hub bub to get a play call in during that time. If we don't have that timeout, we would have been screwed.

I saw Gus bitching at the refs but if the shoe was on the other foot we would have slow played our substitutions as well.
With radio coms there isn’t a problem with getting play call in fast. KJ doesn’t even have to look at sideline.

Well play call is one thing, the personnel is another. You'd think if we had 11 or 21 or whatever package in there they could just come up with something to avoid substituting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT