ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching options

FinNasty23

Five-Star Recruit
Gold Member
May 5, 2005
Ok, while this probably won't be a popular topic... call it a self defense mechanism or whatever... but I'm trying to figure out that IF Frost left, who are our options for a coach?

I would think we would be a really attractive job and could probably attract a pretty good coach. So, who is out there that would be a good fit? (Considering being built for a speed spread system)

I'm thinking 2019. The list is long.
Glad someone else may call plays if Frost's wife has a baby.

Dewitt is the assistant head coach and he's already said that he isn't going back to the cold.

I personally like Troy Walters.

After what I saw yesterday, Austin Peay's coach is an option. Bringing that program from the dead to an offense that was very productive.

Or we can go the older route. Someone who won't leave.

Even having this convo when UCF is undefeated and not winless is making to me start to hate College Football
Absolutely. We have never been 7-0 and only ranked higher after the Fiesta
Bowl. This is the best team in UCFs history. G5 football life is great and shitty at the same time

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Austin Peay's coach is an option. Bringing that program from the dead to an offense that was very productive.
The AP coach is on watch at least but obviously not next year if Coach Frost decides to leave.

If we were to win out this season, including a NY6 Bowl, we will be ranked in the top 15 to start next season. If we perform as well next season and run the table, we will have a shot at getting into the playoff. Had there been a 4 team playoff in 2010 (the year Auburn won the NC) Boise State would have been in had they not dropped their last game to Nevada and Colin Kaepernick. If we start out ranked high, and win against Pitt and North Carolina we could be in the mix at the end of next season. It would also help if several of our conference mates can be ranked next year. I'm not sure coach Frost would want to deal with all the shenanigans that go on at a place like Florida, especially while trying to raise a young family. Maybe he would. Honestly, I think his system would fit in perfectly for the Gators. That is why I didn't think he would take the Nebraska job at the end of this season. I figured the Gators might have a vacancy after next season. Keep doing what he has been doing here at UCF, just take it down the road and get the truly elite athletes in the state of Florida. He wouldn't have to settle for under the radar kids. He could target the best of the best in the state of Florida and beyond. I'm not sure this is the time to make a move like that, but if he is offered that job, or any other, and he accepts it then I wish him and his family nothing but the best, unless he crosses UCF's path.

If we were to win out this season, including a NY6 Bowl, we will be ranked in the top 15 to start next season. If we perform as well next season and run the table, we will have a shot at getting into the playoff. Had there been a 4 team playoff in 2010 (the year Auburn won the NC) Boise State would have been in had they not dropped their last game to Nevada and Colin Kaepernick. If we start out ranked high, and win against Pitt and North Carolina we could be in the mix at the end of next season. It would also help if several of our conference mates can be ranked next year. I'm not sure coach Frost would want to deal with all the shenanigans that go on at a place like Florida, especially while trying to raise a young family. Maybe he would. Honestly, I think his system would fit in perfectly for the Gators. That is why I didn't think he would take the Nebraska job at the end of this season. I figured the Gators might have a vacancy after next season. Keep doing what he has been doing here at UCF, just take it down the road and get the truly elite athletes in the state of Florida. He wouldn't have to settle for under the radar kids. He could target the best of the best in the state of Florida and beyond. I'm not sure this is the time to make a move like that, but if he is offered that job, or any other, and he accepts it then I wish him and his family nothing but the best, unless he crosses UCF's path.
I would wish him the best but root for the worst. No offense to him. Any player or coach that leaves before it's time I'd root against.

I would wish him the best but root for the worst. No offense to him. Any player or coach that leaves before it's time I'd root against.
Absolutely agree. Especially if he went to Nebraska. We are fans of UCF and it's graduating players. It's no different than a player who transfers out.

With who we have returning next year I would expect he would stick around through 2018 to make a run with the team he currently has rather than try to resurrect Florida or Nebraska who's fan bases expect conference and national titles year after year but are in conferences with Saban and Meyer. Tall order.

yeah I love Frost and think he's a good coach but him going to UF would make me root for bad luck and that Program imploding.

The Salt in the wound would be too in our face since they are just up the road.

I posted about this 2 years ago that my fear was that Frost becomes successful too fast and leaves after year 2. With this offense, we need a minimum 3 year commitment from Frost. Nobody can run the offense except a few Oregon guys. If Frost leaves, his replacement will probably throw the ball more. Our team isn't set up for that.

Chinan(d)er is the first option but then who runs the offense? I think that we just have to bring in another P5 offensive coordinator like Jake Spavital of West Virginia. Swamp Donkey is also available.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Sorry for those that don't like the thread... and screw trolls.

I'm just trying to figure out who might be out there that would be good coaches for UCF if we lose Frost. Like it or not... there is going to be rampant annoying speculation about Frost's future the rest of this season. Having an idea of good replacements will make it easier, at least for me, lol.

If Sumlin is fired from Texas A&M... do you think he'd be a good target or that we'd be able to land him?

Reactions: firm_bizzle

I'm just trying to figure out who might be out there that would be good coaches for UCF if we lose Frost. Like it or not... there is going to be rampant annoying speculation about Frost's future the rest of this season. Having an idea of good replacements will make it easier, at least for me, lol.

If Sumlin is fired from Texas A&M... do you think he'd be a good target or that we'd be able to land him?
Sumlin doesn’t have a clue what the purpose of a defense is....no way!

Ok I'll bite even though I do not want this hypothetical to materialize in a month or 2.

Danny White surprised us once and I think he could do it again. Two names Holgerson and Rich Rodriguez. Anyone outside of UCF would think that's crazy to leave a P5 but Rich Rod has been rumored to wanting to be back on the East Coast & Florida Athletes would fit his scheme more. Holgerson name always comes up when a job in Florida opens but probably less likely. Both would be risky and maybe not have the youthful energy of Frost on the Recruiting Trail so I hope this never materializes but they both run systems that might fit our roster.

I talked to Frost the other night over some beers. He said he was never leaving because he loved how much the fan base crushed the Nebraska trolls. Okay so maybe I didn't talk to him, but I just can't imagine him leaving after this year and hopefully he will be our Bobby Bowden and stay a very long time.

Only coach i can think that bolted schools after two years was Urban Meyer. He did it twice with Bowling Green and Utah. Meyer had winning seasons all years though, unlike Frost who was just below .500 at 6-7 in his first year. If we finish undefeated or at least with a loss or two, he gives us one more year to go undefeated with his recruits to see how far he can take this program. Of course, the entire conference will have to step up ooc wise especially against the P5. If we can beat Pitt and UNC, we will finally take our program to place we thought GOL would do. In the world of the P5, is it too late? Maybe but we can't be ignored anymore unless they poach Frost. Houston beat two Top 5 teams but losing conference, coach was taken and now have taken a step back.
As for the Gators, why strike at the job opportunity when the job can be available in a couple of more years with another failed regime and millions of dollars to spend. Perhaps Kiffin and Butch Davis at the FUs will be candidates too. If Frost wants a job in the P5 with Florida he should wait two to four years probably love this place but is frustrated with the structure of college football and will finally take the big budget job with the Gators or Seminoles and will run his program with the Top 20 recruits year in and year out. Plus his family won't have to move and he will still benefit from not having to travel so far.
In comparing him to Meyer, i just hope post Frost we end up succeeding like Utah and coach Whittingham eventually accepting a PAC 12 invite.

This post was probably just created because all of the anxiety that these coaching rumors are causing the diehards.

Frost has said and done nothing but positive things. It's only the fans and media who are starting the rumors.

He's coming back in 2018, but after that who knows. All I can say is that if you're anything but a top notch coach and are inexperienced, you're going to be seriously exposed by coaches like Saban, Meyer etc. and scrutinized with a lot less tolerance with a microscope by the fanbases of UF, etc

Define this “before its time”. Also, I guess I should appreciate you not triggering folks by using binary terminology...
Kind of like defining blue. I know it when I see it but can't describe it to a blind person. If I want them to stay but they leave, it's before it's time.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
UCF is loaded what coach would not want to be next in line. It's almost certain you will win with the young talent they have. It's pretty much a safe bet for success. Frost might stay he has one hell of a team.

I think that what all of you are missing is that one unfortunate loss in the G5 or one significant injury and Scott Frost's value diminishes. That is why coaches leave for the money so they can strike while the iron is hot. We are having a great year, but if MM gets hurt I guarantee things would cool down considerably. Frost either leaves after this season or settles in for the long haul. If we get to a NY6 bowl there is nothing more he can realistically accomplish at UCF. I refuse to believe that the powers that be would ever let us in the playoffs. I watched the ESPN playoff show and there was not even a whisper of anyone other than the usual cast of characters.

UCF is loaded what coach would not want to be next in line. It's almost certain you will win with the young talent they have. It's pretty much a safe bet for success. Frost might stay he has one hell of a team.

I disagree. There are lots of programs with talent, what this staff has done with the young players is remarkable. The play calling has been superb. The personnel changes on point and the in-game adjustments are awesome. Did anyone watch USF this weekend? What a horrible coaching job USF did. No imagination at all. It was almost like they were not paying attention to the game.

If Frost leaves we will need someone with the understanding of how to use the talent. Remember that some of these guys were part of that 0-12 debacle. I would hate to see the talent go wasted.

Reactions: jared151
So many are having this argument that any solid coach will lead this team. Do you think particular coaches don't have an impact or alter the style of a team? You just saw a team go 9 wins to 0 wins to 6 wins to this. With a lot of the same players involved.

Is UF and FSU filled with bad players, many with UCF offers. Did Georgia suddenly find good football players? It's all about coaching and maximizing talent and it requires a mesh between players and coaches.

Right now both Clemson and Georgia fans aren't complaining about dumping winning coaches trying for something more (Tommy Bowden never had a losing season, and Mike Richt had 9 10+wins seasons). If everyone believes UCF can succeed and dominate with anyone at the helm then why wouldn't UF expect the same for their program with the same players UCF recruits?

Frost won't go to the gators. If he does not come to Nebraska I bet he stays at UCF for a couple years. He is better off with you in every way until he comes home. In my opinion.

My problem with the "coming home" argument is the failure of people to understand that the people that live in Florida did not want to go home. That's why they are in Florida in the first place.
You are right not many people go north to retire. If he comes back it would be because he's from here and feels something for the program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT