ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching

KnightVision82

Diamond Knight
Jan 26, 2004
What you do during these type of circumstances in the off season is wonder a lot about coaching?

What will be different on the offensive side of the ball?
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-missouri/article188112264.html

There are numerous articles out there on Heupel. He likes the fast offensive play like Frost.
He wants the QB to be ready by reading the defense before snapping the ball to throw the ball quickly. We know OC Taafe worked with Blake on this a lot. He doesn't have a high sack rate due to quick release of QBs. He typically calls a lot of passing plays but will run the ball when the run game is working. Frost claimed he was a running offense. He doesn't take a lot of responsibility for failure. This is unlike Frost who use to take the blame a lot for the players. Heupel believes that if the players are executing then his offense works. We'll see how the players respond to this. I believe KZ will make enough plays when other aspects of the offense aren't working to avoid this initially. When QBing isn't good, we'll see how interviews with Heupel and players go.

What will be different on the defensive side of the ball?
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/5-things-florida-randy-shannon

I believe we're going to get similar energy out of a Shannon coached defense as we did with last DC. I expect our LB group to be improved due to new DC coaching. Therefore, I don't expect to see a big drop in LB production because Griffin left. The elevation of the play of the group should make up for the loss of #18. The big unknown here is the tension of a lot of 3 and outs that a fast past offense can put on the defense. Frost and Chinander were friends and never blamed the other side of the ball when things weren't working. It will be interesting to see how Shannon works with Heupel if his defense is subjected to being on the field a lot. This is a bigger concern of mine than the defensive alignment. Our team won last year many times while only one side, offense or defense was working well.

Reactions: knightraveler
Again, Remember the Titans. Coach Boone and Yost. Trystan Payton would be Petey.

Any DC that complains about how often his defense is on the field because the offense is scoring so much doesn't need to be our DC.

Allegedly why CJH was tossed from Oklahoma. The head coaches brother, the DC, whined and complained that the super fast O put too much pressure on the D.......

That's why GOL loved it when his offense burned clock time and why coaches love offenses that keep QB Tom Brady off the field.

Some DCs are okay with it and others are concerned about how the stats make them look as coaches. It's inevitable that higher scoring offenses that throw a lot are going to have a negative impact on the defense because the other team gets more possessions.

That's why GOL loved it when his offense burned clock time and why coaches love offenses that keep QB Tom Brady off the field.

Some DCs are okay with it and others are concerned about how the stats make them look as coaches. It's inevitable that higher scoring offenses that throw a lot are going to have a negative impact on the defense because the other team gets more possessions.
Usually when the Patriots lose do they give up 19 points or 35 or more?

Any DC that complains about how often his defense is on the field because the offense is scoring so much doesn't need to be our DC.

I want to make sure we are reading this correctly...

That's different than "because the offense plays fast". Fast offenses can get a LOT of 3 and outs if they aren't very good. I'm only talking abut fast offenses that actually SCORE alot.

I want to make sure we are reading this correctly...

That's different than "because the offense plays fast". Fast offenses can get a LOT of 3 and outs if they aren't very good. I'm only talking abut fast offenses that actually SCORE alot.
Fair point. Offense and defense have to work together. Fast d needs to keep the offense on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT