ADVERTISEMENT

COLUMN: It's not time to panic ... yet?

ucf1

Silver Knight
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2001
Happy Labor Day weekend, Knight Nation, and welcome back to college football!

A few weeks ago, I penned a column advising Knight Nation to temper its expectations for the 2024 football season. After another stellar recruiting season led by Gus Malzahn and his crew, many fans were ready to crown the Knights as the 2024 Big XII Champions and book their hotels in Arlington, before the season even started. Fast forward to Thursday evening, after UCF’s first game of the season against FCS opponent New Hampshire, and many of those same fans were frantically reconsidering making those hotel reservations.

More here from Brian W. Peterson for the Sons of UCF.

Vegas hasn't budged. UCF still has the 4th best chance to win the conference. That's what it was before week 1.

All UCF has to do is have better Qb play. All other aspects of the offense, defense, and special teams looks to be improved from last year

If anything just ground and pound and beat teams running the ball. Good Ole' O'leary Ball. :p

I think we will see improvement against Sam Houston State even though they will be tougher competition.

In KJ We Trust...for now...

Watching KJ's performance -- particularly in the first half -- gave me the same "I've got a BAD feeling about this" vibes I got last season watching Jeff Sims' first game starting at QB for Nebraska.
OMG totally! It also reminder me of when JRP could not pass or when Pete Dinovo started in the Penn St game in Ireland

Reactions: Yaes
Panic? I never thought we would be this good this fast in the B12. If we win 8 or more this year we should be very happy. If we begin a UM type run like when they joined ACC then we need to panic.

Panic? I never thought we would be this good this fast in the B12. If we win 8 or more this year we should be very happy. If we begin a UM type run like when they joined ACC then we need to panic.
UCF has won 3 games in B12 , two against Houston and Cincinnati. Expected it to be worse?

But he's a great game manager...in the Big 12 you need QBs that can lead your team to victory both with passing and running game. We have seen 3 QBs like this Culpepper, Bortles and KZ. We know what this looks like.

All UCF has to do is have better Qb play. All other aspects of the offense, defense, and special teams looks to be improved from last year
True, but QB play is a huge part of today's game. As UCF has seen in the past, elite QB play can make all the difference.
If anything just ground and pound and beat teams running the ball.
Easier said than done. Trust me, if KJ can't scare the Big XII's defensive coordinators with his passing, they are going to be loading the box to stop the Knights' ground game and dare him to beat them with his arm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT