ADVERTISEMENT

COLUMN: The Rabbit Hole of the Moral Victory

ucf1

Bronze Knight
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2001

What is a moral victory?​

According to Google, it is “a defeat that can be interpreted as a victory on moral terms, for example, because the defeated party defended their principles.”

In other words, it’s finding the silver lining in a loss and juicing it up exponentially. The UCF Knights football program has had a long history with the moral victory.

It really got going back in 1997, when the then UCF Golden Knights were still an independent fledgling program in Division I-A (now FBS) and opened the season with three road games: at Ole Miss, at South Carolina, and at 6th-ranked Nebraska. UCF held their own each time.

Click here to read more from the Sons of UCF. Thanks!

Last edited:
I disagree with the premise of the article, that people care about moral victories and that they're acting like this was one.

Rather than a moral victory, this loss is more like "maybe we aren't as bad as we feared and the team hasn't quit."

A game to build from and something to give the fanbase some hope that it might not be so bad is not the same thing as a moral victory.

It's also not early in the season where we don't know what we might be made of yet. There's no comparison to 97.

After 3 L's in a row its better than the alternative to not have been beaten badly.

Why can't it just be that?

Yeah I care 0 for moral victories and I don't think it's great for the team to continously claim moral victories. At some point it just makes the team soft and okay with losing because "at least we were close" - Screw that win or win not, there is no moral victory

Hop on the Gus Bus if you are in to moral victories. GOL would puke at the thought. Good god, I never thought I would ever want to see a GOL offense again, but a lot better than the midget league offense Gus runs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT