ADVERTISEMENT

COLUMN: UCF Football Has a Long Climb Ahead

ucf1

Bronze Knight
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2001
Look, I’ll be honest: It’s been a draining few days at the office. The time change means it’s getting darker earlier, each day. The weather has been cold and wet outside. The UCF Men’s Basketball team lost a heartbreaker against Ole Miss on Sunday. Things haven’t been the best. In short, I’m cranky. So, reader beware, this isn’t going to be a feel-good article from “Wild Bill.” Walk away now if you are looking to read a puff piece about the Knights, today. It’s time to take a reflective look at where we are.

Click here to read more from the Sons of UCF.

While we have made strides in local recruiting, to the nation at large, we are still a G5 school, which is why top end QBs don’t take us seriously (that, and the offensive system we run isn’t NFL prep friendly). AND we apparently lack appropriate NIL funds.

This isn’t new to the portal, several of the top end candidates went to meh P5 programs last year, such as GT, Purdue, Louisville, Wash St, Ore St, Kentucky, NC St (yes had a top QB transfer last year too), Indiana, Cal, Neb.

All of these guys had 4 star transfer grades….

There are still a few guys out there that would be upgrades, but we wasted a lot of time chasing a guy who was just using us for leverage. Even to the point where he said after his visits that UCF was fantastic and NC St was OK. We were fooled and bitch slapped at the same time.

But the window is closing quickly, once Ward chooses, everybody else with a 4 star transfer grade gets locked up within a couple of days.

Last edited:
it has been a very wet ‘dry season’

and telling the truth isn’t being a ‘negative Nancie’

nil is a curveball and with how it is currently not regulated I feel UCF is at somewhat at a disadvantage but our coaching staff still takes some blame. Would Golesh as UCF coach right now lose on his QB target vs NC State? Our head coach having a negative perception on developing QBs could have been in play and that is a problem for the Program. TMO mentioned recruiting when announcing Gus’s extension..it has been quiet , maybe a few good signing day surprises

I agree that ucf media and all our socials made a complete ass of themselves… they care more engagement trolling on ‘X’

Reactions: Shark19
which is why top end QBs don’t take us seriously (that, and the offensive system we run isn’t NFL prep friendly).

There are still a few guys out there that would be upgrades, but we wasted a lot of time chasing a guy who was just using us for leverage. Even to the point where he said after his visits that UCF was fantastic and NC St was OK. We were fooled and bitch slapped at the same time.
the man flew in on a warm Saturday night in the O , had a nice dinner, maybe hit one of our Bars for the scenery , got free Nike’s , etc nice 2nd half of the weekend. I don’t doubt that UCF is more fun than NC State.

Look, I’ll be honest: It’s been a draining few days at the office. The time change means it’s getting darker earlier, each day. The weather has been cold and wet outside. The UCF Men’s Basketball team lost a heartbreaker against Ole Miss on Sunday. Things haven’t been the best. In short, I’m cranky. So, reader beware, this isn’t going to be a feel-good article from “Wild Bill.” Walk away now if you are looking to read a puff piece about the Knights, today. It’s time to take a reflective look at where we are.

Click here to read more from the Sons of UCF.
"I’m sure they did all they could to get him to sign with UCF (other than taking him to a half-empty UCF basketball game where the Knights lost… Who’s genius idea was that??"

And Brandon's cringey close-up photos...

Terrence Ross Wow GIF

While we have made strides in local recruiting, to the nation at large, we are still a G5 school, which is why top end QBs don’t take us seriously (that, and the offensive system we run isn’t NFL prep friendly). AND we apparently lack appropriate NIL funds.

This isn’t new to the portal, several of the top end candidates went to meh P5 programs last year, such as GT, Purdue, Louisville, Wash St, Ore St, Kentucky, NC St (yes had a top QB transfer last year too), Indiana, Cal, Neb.

All of these guys had 4 star transfer grades….

But the window is closing quickly, once Ward chooses, everybody else with a 4 star transfer grade gets locked up within a couple of days.
I have to agree with you. I think it is very difficult to attract a top end QB to the offense that Gus runs and unless his offense changes I think that will continue to be the case.

i think it's more concerning that gus thought grayson f'n mccall was good enough. he hasn't been good since 2022.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT