ADVERTISEMENT

Competitive college admissions scam

DaShuckster

Diamond Knight
Nov 30, 2003
https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/0...ng-those-arrested-in-college-admissions-scam/

One of the long-standing myths of the competitive college admissions game is that minorities are 'unfairly' advantaged in the selection process due to - gasp! - Affirmative Action! I've always considered that hand-wringing to be hogwash. When an admissions committee at a highly competitive school is searching for the best students from thousands of diverse high schools around the country, it's disingenuous to believe that they can view every single student the same way and be fair about it.

But that's not to say the system isn't rigged. This scandal has uncovered only a small little part of the 'dirty little secret' of college admissions: The children of the wealthy ALWAYS have "ins" that nobody else has. But what's crazy about the story linked above is the fact these idiot parents tried bribing coaches and test proctors. How incredibly stupid of them!

Instead of being caught bribing peon coaches and proctors, these wealthy parents should have been savy enough to know the time-honored, "legit" way: Bride the school's president! It would be a mind-boggling statistic if there was some way we could get a tally of the number of school buildings and athletic facilities across the country that have been named after "generous" benefactors -- who, by coincidence, just happened to have a daughter, son, or grandkid seeking admission.

Of course you'd hold this up as definitive proof that the meanie wealthy people are a bigger issue that the inherent systematic flaws in the current affirmative action regime.

These people are idiots and they will be punished but if we're being honest for one second, we're talking about a 43 people total involved and a handful of schools. There are 5,300 universities and colleges in the US.

And by the way, doesn't this entire investigation prove your point wrong? "Te children of the wealthy ALWAYS have "ins" that nobody else has.

Really? These very wealthy people were having to break the law and bribe people because their kid DIDN'T have an "in" merely for the sake of being the child of a rich Hollywood A-Lister. Unless you're going to tell me that every single wealthy person (as ambiguous as that entire term is) is bribing people to get their kid into whatever college they want to attend.

Unless you're going to tell me that every single wealthy person (as ambiguous as that entire term is) is bribing people to get their kid into whatever college they want to attend.
What I'm saying is that if the price is right or you know the right people and your kid isn't so far outside the norm as to raise eyebrows, you can get your kid in.

I mean it happens--at ALL schools. On the other hand, there are scholarship opportunities given to thousands of students who would have a helluva time paying for tuition otherwise.

And then let's not forget sports. Admittance into the a university and education are given to numerous individuals--many of whom wouldn't have a chance in hell of getting in were it not for their playing abilities. Countless individuals have benefitted as such and get an education.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Of course you'd hold this up as definitive proof that the meanie wealthy people are a bigger issue that the inherent systematic flaws in the current affirmative action regime.

[roll]

Awwwwww... poor rich white people. So much discrimination.

[roll]

Awwwwww... poor rich white people. So much discrimination.

[roll]

The biggest class action lawsuit against affirmative action going to the SCOTUS was filed on behalf of several Asian American groups.

lol lol at your stupid ignorance blowing up on you yet again. You walk around obsessed with self hatred for being white.

Just look at these goddamn rich white people, at it again!

The organizations include the Asian American Coalition for Education (AACE) — which wrote in court filings that it represents about 260 businesses, education and cultural groups and accuses Harvard of discriminating "against Asian-American applicants in order to maintain unlawful racial quotas" — and the Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF) in conjunction with about 20 other groups — which said the fair admissions group failed to prove Harvard discriminated.

Wenyuan Wu, director of administration for AACE, said in an email to NBC News. Wu added that the "abysmal state of K-12 education in underrepresented communities across the country" was the true cause of the lack of racial diversity on college campuses, and that a race-conscious admissions policy would not solve the issue.

What the hell is the point of being rich if you can't get everything you want? I'm not out here trying to earn things. I just want to buy everything I want. That's why the make fake boobs and liposuction.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
The biggest class action lawsuit against affirmative action going to the SCOTUS was filed on behalf of several Asian American groups.
The underlying assumption with this lawsuit is that everybody can -- and should -- be put on the same magical measuring stick because that would be the "fairest" way to go about it. To that notion, I say bullpucky. What does this magical measuring stick look like? Ask ten people and you'll get ten different responses.

How can you "fairly" evaluate and compare smart kids? If you have kids with similar grades and scores, how do you differentiate between a smart kid attending an elite prep school in Orlando, a smart kid attending a high school with a senior class of 10 in the Nebraska Panhandle, a smart Black kid attending a poor school in south Detroit, a smart Asian kid growing up in Silicon Valley and a smart disabled student from Maine? Oh, and remember, don't show any BIASES for God sakes!

The underlying assumption with this lawsuit is that everybody can -- and should -- be put on the same magical measuring stick because that would be the "fairest" way to go about it. To that notion, I say bullpucky. What does this magical measuring stick look like? Ask ten people and you'll get ten different responses.

How can you "fairly" evaluate and compare smart kids? If you have kids with similar grades and scores, how do you differentiate between a smart kid attending an elite prep school in Orlando, a smart kid attending a high school with a senior class of 10 in the Nebraska Panhandle, a smart Black kid attending a poor school in south Detroit, a smart Asian kid growing up in Silicon Valley and a smart disabled student from Maine? Oh, and remember, don't show any BIASES for God sakes!

I have no idea what you're even trying to say here or how it relates to the quote that you pulled from my post.

The Asian groups' complaint is pretty simple - certain members were being removed from consideration by schools like Harvard, despite being qualified when compared to other entrants, purely because there were mandated quotas based upon race, and there was an implied cap on the amount of Asians they could take, to make way for other minority groups.

It's illegal. Full stop. We lost our president over some bullshit why shouldn't the ivy league schools lose their presidents for accepting admissions bribes?

It's illegal. Full stop. We lost our president over some bullshit why shouldn't the ivy league schools lose their presidents for accepting admissions bribes?

It wasn't bullshit. Full stop. The state says what you can and cannot do with certain money. We were egregious with our misuse.

It wasn't bullshit. Full stop. The state says what you can and cannot do with certain money. We were egregious with our misuse.

Yea, I don't get why people like FC and others in the Dungeon keep saying we didn't do anything, or being punished was bullshit. Granted we were just trying to replace an old, old building that was falling apart, but they violated tons of mandated accounting practices and weren't forthcoming about it.

I think the witch hunt by the FL House is bullshit in that they are now going overboard to get their rocks off at UCF's expense. Probably due to the UF and FSU influence deciding its' in their best interest to shit down UCF's neck.

But ultimately UCF screwed up and Whitaker had to go given he was smack dab in the middle of it.

Yea, I don't get why people like FC and others in the Dungeon keep saying we didn't do anything, or being punished was bullshit. Granted we were just trying to replace an old, old building that was falling apart, but they violated tons of mandated accounting practices and weren't forthcoming about it.

I think the witch hunt by the FL House is bullshit in that they are now going overboard to get their rocks off at UCF's expense. Probably due to the UF and FSU influence deciding its' in their best interest to shit down UCF's neck.

But ultimately UCF screwed up and Whitaker had to go given he was smack dab in the middle of it.

The witch hunt is complete crap, especially since their audit is going to find that EVERY state university has pulled this shit. We might be the most guilty but just wait and see.

It's bullshit in the sense that it's not a big deal, just like it's bullshit that rich people can't bribe their way into ivy league schools.

However both are violations. We shouldn't downplay Ivy league schools accepting the bribes and shouldn't downplay the people bribing.

The Asian groups' complaint is pretty simple - certain members were being removed from consideration by schools like Harvard, despite being qualified when compared to other entrants, purely because there were mandated quotas...
One would think that no selective admission committees would be stupid enough to use numerical quotas.

When it comes to being "qualified" for admission to an elite school, you can bet that well over 90% of the applicants would be considered qualified--but so what? Only 10% are going to be admitted.

So my question is this: Who are 'the best' applicants to take? What's your criteria?

Test Scores? Yeah, no built-in bias exists there. :rolleyes: Oh, by the way, screw your college's fine arts applicants and intercollegiate sports programs.

Advanced HS program of study? Yeah, screw the kids from small and/or poor schools. But be very careful, if your committee takes this into consideration you might be--gasp!--favoring minority and rural white smarties.

Grades? Do all schools grade the same? Is the top 10% at a prep school the same as at public school or a small school?

Extracurricular activities? Yikes, talk about a built-in bias towards wealthy kids.

Special talents or abilities? That Black jock with a lower test score got in and I didn't! How unfair!

Again, unless actual quotas are stupidly involved, the ONLY way a judge can look at a selective admissions process and find 'favoritism' is with the school's legacy and "friends of the school" ($$$) programs.

It's bullshit in the sense that it's not a big deal, just like it's bullshit that rich people can't bribe their way into ivy league schools.

However both are violations. We shouldn't downplay Ivy league schools accepting the bribes and shouldn't downplay the people bribing.

You make it sound like the entire school leadership was in on it at these Ivy League's or something. As far as I've read, these people found idiot single school administrators who used their positions to illegally pull strings in exchange for bribes. I didn't read anything saying there was a broader school conspiracy and these payments were then being funneled around to give everyone their cut.

With the UCF accounting issue, it truly was a group effort to knowingly use appropriated money illegally. Many people knew of it and were fired, including our now ex-President who was in the middle of this the entire time. It's not like we had one single guy moving money around when people weren't looking and manipulating the books to fool everyone else.

We shouldn't downplay Ivy league schools accepting the bribes and shouldn't downplay the people bribing.

Every college and university in the country is into accepting brib..er, generous donations from "friends of the school." If your brib..er, generous donation goes to the school, it's considered legal, baby!!!

You make it sound like the entire school leadership was in on it at these Ivy League's or something. As far as I've read, these people found idiot single school administrators who used their positions to illegally pull strings in exchange for bribes.

The difference is whether the bribe went to the individual or to the school. If you believe there's never been an Ivy League Dean who 'pulled strings' in order to receive a generous gift to the school, you're living in Naiveland.

The difference is whether the bribe went to the individual or to the school. If you believe there's never been an Ivy League Dean who 'pulled strings' in order to receive a generous gift to the school, you're living in Naiveland.

Oh look, you're making an assumption about something that I never said again. Bravo, at least you're staying on script.

Why stop at Ivy League Deans? I'm sure there are Deans at every level of schooling that have pulled strings for "donations" to the school. I'm sure somewhere in LA there are actors and actresses trying to bribe exclusive private preschools to get their kids ahead on the waiting list.

As it relates to the actual story we're discussing, this was dealing mostly with rogue admins who these people found and were willing to mark their kid for an athletic spot to get them in. It wasn't some broader school conspiracy.

As it relates to the actual story we're discussing, this was dealing mostly with rogue admins who these people found and were willing to mark their kid for an athletic spot to get them in. It wasn't some broader school conspiracy.

The POINT of my OP was that parents can bride a Dean or University President with a donation to the school and its entirely legal and you can put a damn medal on them, but if they bride a coach or test proctor, its a Federal Offense, baby!!!

The POINT of my OP was that parents can bride a Dean or University President with a donation to the school and its entirely legal and you can put a damn medal on them, but if they bride a coach or test proctor, its a Federal Offense, baby!!!

I'm pretty sure that if a Dean was taking direct bribes that went into his bank account, he'd be caught up in this just the same and headed for jail.

As for a donation to the school, maybe it looks shady but there's nothing remotely illegal about it, and it doesn't personally benefit a Dean financially. Unless maybe getting him a small bump on his performance bonus if it's tied to giving. And that's still a far cry from the $1.3M that went into one of these peoples' personal bank account.

As for a donation to the school, maybe it looks shady but there's nothing remotely illegal about it, and it doesn't personally benefit a Dean financially. Unless maybe getting him a small bump on his performance bonus if it's tied to giving.

Show me any major college Dean who's performance isn't directly tied to donations?

As a result, many Deans haven't thought twice about using their school's competitive admissions program to their career advantage. Again, as you said, legal because it isn't 'directly' benefiting those Deans financially. But is this behavior ethical? Of course not. But it's the dirty little secret that has existed as long as there have been American colleges.

I have no idea what you're even trying to say here or how it relates to the quote that you pulled from my post.

The Asian groups' complaint is pretty simple - certain members were being removed from consideration by schools like Harvard, despite being qualified when compared to other entrants, purely because there were mandated quotas based upon race, and there was an implied cap on the amount of Asians they could take, to make way for other minority groups.
Wait, I thought we were to the point that lying about ethnicity on an application was now acceptable. Damn my naivete.

Wait, I thought we were to the point that lying about ethnicity on an application was now acceptable. Damn my naivete.

:joy:

Omg the ultimate irony. The people here raging about elite wealthy people abusing the university system are the same people who would gleefully vote for a wealthy elitist white woman who abused the university system to get ahead

Here is the news ....

Rich Hollywood liberals, the biggest proponents of race based admissions and affirmative action, sidestep their own agenda to benefit their families.

Just like rich Hollywood liberals, the biggest opponents of "building the wall" all have HUGE walls surrounding their houses.

Just like rich Hollywood liberals, always promoting "green" initiatives are the first to drive big SUV's and fancy gas guzzling sports cars ... and take private jets.

Donations?

Uber rich laugh at that waste as some went directly toward an individual at an Univ aho could do their dirty work under the table.

USC fired an Athletic Dept Admin (#3 in command) for accepting $1.3 Million in brides to help 24 kids gain admission on false pretenses.

:joy:

Omg the ultimate irony. The people here raging about elite wealthy people abusing the university system are the same people who would gleefully vote for a wealthy elitist white woman who abused the university system to get ahead
meanwhile you have people like shookster claiming thats not even true!!!!111!

remember when everyone was upset with a bunch of people who didnt deserve to get in skipped the line and went straight in?

i bet no one has applied that same logic to people illegally entering our country while there are thousands, if not millions waiting in line the legal way.

Reactions: Knight_Light
Feel free to bash me for things I've said. But making sh*t up about what I've said crosses the line.
there was this whole thread about elizabeth warren lying about being native american to get into college and then again using that lie to advance her career. of course you still cant admit that. thats you staring at a mountain of evidence and pretending it doesnt exist. i dont know how you look at yourself in the mirror.

The lesson here is to never trust an elitist rich liberal. Got it. ;)

These Hollywood folks are the scum of the earth.

ADVERTISEMENT