ADVERTISEMENT

The Stock Market Thread: Where we blame everything we can except Trump. (Unless its going well)

lol is it hard posting with such a low comprehension of what you're talking about? Always? Or are you so lacking in IQ that you don't actually know better?

Here, I'll help you. The market gradually lost value throughout the day. It started off down roughly 120-150 points, and this accelerated throughout the day as more economic data came in, and fears of a trade war took off. For folks like you who can't count, that's a 7 hour span.

The meltdown we had a few months ago was nothing like this. The market lost 1,000+ points in the matter of minutes, and then regained 500 of those points in 3 minutes after. But yes, I'm sure that was all due to traders at home rapidly hitting their ETrade sell buttons to the tune of $800B in lost market caps.

lol is it hard posting with such a low comprehension of what you're talking about? Always? Or are you so lacking in IQ that you don't actually know better?

Here, I'll help you. The market gradually lost value throughout the day. It started off down roughly 120-150 points, and this accelerated throughout the day as more economic data came in, and fears of a trade war took off. For folks like you who can't count, that's a 7 hour span.

The meltdown we had a few months ago was nothing like this. The market lost 1,000+ points in the matter of minutes, and then regained 500 of those points in 3 minutes after. But yes, I'm sure that was all due to traders at home rapidly hitting their ETrade sell buttons to the tune of $800B in lost market caps.
So no to the water idea?

FC should get a job on FBN with his savvy market knowledge. Maria, Payne and Varney have nothing on him.

LOL.

And he still thinks the investments of normal people like us have an effect on the market as a whole, or that our profits are larger than a drop in the bucket.

'tank' the stockmarket? The S&P is still up almost 10% YoY. I would hardly call that tanking.

Historically, stocks would return 3-5%. The only reason we are seeing these outsized, huge gains the last few years is because of Central Bank money printing. With Central Banks now going into a 'normalization' phase, expect for more downside as everyone heads for the door , trying to lock in profits.

'tank' the stockmarket? The S&P is still up almost 10% YoY. I would hardly call that tanking.

Historically, stocks would return 3-5%. The only reason we are seeing these outsized, huge gains the last few years is because of Central Bank money printing. With Central Banks now going into a 'normalization' phase, expect for more downside as everyone heads for the door , trying to lock in profits.

You’re addressing someone in FC who doesn’t know what the market actually is, much less how it works or how it’s performed recently

Yeah, I have a degree in economics, an MBA and work in financial services.

Well Mr fancy pants you have no excuse for not knowing this was caused by them new fangled computers. The fact that trump started a trade war with our largest trading partner the same day was just a coincidence.

Yeah, I have a degree in economics, an MBA and work in financial services.

Yet you think markets move 1000 points in mere minutes via manual trading and people using ETrade

You also apparently can’t tell the difference between that type of flash crash and a normal broad based selloff.

I know the state of our economy is what's driving the market down.

The 10 year yield has been rising rapidly. The fed has raised rates 6 quarters in a row and we have a president who thinks a trade war is the move to make to bring jobs to a country that doesn't need them.

It's only computers reacting to market conditions of an overheated stock market with P/E ratios at a rate we haven't seen since the last time the market dropped 40%.

In the stock market we've given back all gains and more since the tax plan.

We bring in substantially less money on taxes as a government now, primarially from reduced business tax rate.

We passed a budget that raised what the government spends by a substantial amount

Where have all the fiscal conservatives gone? Or are you all only concerned with dunking on libs and snowflakes?

tax plan was good. i dont know anyone who didnt like getting more of their own money back.

the budget and the spending is out of control. we needed to see big reductions across the board. completely stupid.

In the stock market we've given back all gains and more since the tax plan.

We bring in substantially less money on taxes as a government now, primarially from reduced business tax rate.

We passed a budget that raised what the government spends by a substantial amount

Where have all the fiscal conservatives gone? Or are you all only concerned with dunking on libs and snowflakes?

It's amazing how you can't even make a shitty point without blatantly lying. We had Federal Revenues in January and February of this year that were HIGHER than the previous year, and we ran a surplus in federal receipts.

PS- still think your uncle on his ETrade account made the market swing 1,000 points in mere minutes a few months back? lulz

tax plan was good. i dont know anyone who didnt like getting more of their own money back.

the budget and the spending is out of control. we needed to see big reductions across the board. completely stupid.
I sure as hell don't like adding over a trillion in debt to get a pittance while the vast majority of the tax cut has gone to stock buyback programs so far, making the rich richer, and not being used for R&D or employee wages or benefits, just like we said it would.

It's amazing how you can't even make a shitty point without blatantly lying. We had Federal Revenues in January and February of this year that were HIGHER than the previous year, and we ran a surplus in federal receipts.

PS- still think your uncle on his ETrade account made the market swing 1,000 points in mere minutes a few months back? lulz
I think Trump made the market swing by trying to stimulate an economy that had been in bull market for 8 years, thus overheating it. Ten years from now no one will be able to explain why we underwent a huge stimulus program with 4% unemployment amd record high markets. That's what triggered the cash out. It wasn't just computers deciding to sell stocks it was a reaction to Trump stimulus plan. He's an idiot.

I sure as hell don't like adding over a trillion in debt to get a pittance while the vast majority of the tax cut has gone to stock buyback programs so far, making the rich richer, and not being used for R&D or employee wages or benefits, just like we said it would.
not going to deny that is happening but a number of companies gave out bonuses. some even gave out raises while others have gone on to hire more people.

no matter what the spending needs to be pulled way back

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...dget-deficit-risks-intensifying-market-frenzy

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stanco...nent-1-trillion-federal-deficit/#4fbf299f7a65

The ballooning federal budget deficit under President Donald Trump will force the U.S. to borrow more than $1 trillion this year and risks worsening the frenzy behind the global sell-off in stock markets.

President Donald Trump’s budget blueprint doubles the deficits he forecast a year ago with little expectation they’ll shrink anytime soon.

As a result, the $20 trillion federal debt that Trump railed against as a candidate is projected to balloon to $30 trillion a decade from now.

not going to deny that is happening but a number of companies gave out bonuses. some even gave out raises while others have gone on to hire more people.

no matter what the spending needs to be pulled way back
My company paid out 5M of the 19M they get every year. 2.5M of that is raises 2.5M is bonuses.

So my company made 14M the first year and 16.5M every year after that. We had record EPS in 14 15 and 16. They didn't need that money and it created no jobs while only 15% of the corporate welfare went toward raises. The rest fattened up the shareholders. Money well spent?

My company paid out 5M of the 19M they get every year. 2.5M of that is raises 2.5M is bonuses.

So my company made 14M the first year and 16.5M every year after that. We had record EPS in 14 15 and 16. They didn't need that money and it created no jobs while only 15% of the corporate welfare went toward raises. The rest fattened up the shareholders. Money well spent?

Yeap.

You'd have to be a Grade A moron to believe increasing the already huge wealth gap in our country would be a good idea.

But, you also believe the money will trickle down, believe global climate change is a hoax, still think Trump is a great leader and President, believe Obama ballooned the deficit, and you live in a trailer.

I think Trump made the market swing by trying to stimulate an economy that had been in bull market for 8 years, thus overheating it. Ten years from now no one will be able to explain why we underwent a huge stimulus program with 4% unemployment amd record high markets. That's what triggered the cash out. It wasn't just computers deciding to sell stocks it was a reaction to Trump stimulus plan. He's an idiot.

Thanks for ignoring my main point.

And lulz at your STILL thinking that a market swings 1,000 points in a few minutes thanks to people "cashing out". Despite the fact that it's open knowledge that trading is becoming more computerized than ever, you still think it's guys sitting at home ferociously hitting "sell" on their ETrade account.

Thanks for ignoring my main point.

And lulz at your STILL thinking that a market swings 1,000 points in a few minutes thanks to people "cashing out". Despite the fact that it's open knowledge that trading is becoming more computerized than ever, you still think it's guys sitting at home ferociously hitting "sell" on their ETrade account.

Those aren't the only two options, Copernicus.

Then leave. If you're going to throw a hissy fit about what your company is doing, if you "morally object" so greatly, then leave. No one is forcing you to work there. Go ahead and leave.

I'm sure you have significant shares of your own company within the index funds that your 401k brokerage uses, and those are all going to see the benefits of "fattening up shareholders" (NOTE: THIS WOULD BE YOU). But hey, they're just corporate meanies. You need to leave any find a more socially responsible company. So go ahead.

xLtc1S3.png

I'm sure you have significant shares of your own company within the index funds that your 401k brokerage uses, and those are all going to see the benefits of "fattening up shareholders" (NOTE: THIS WOULD BE YOU). But hey, they're just corporate meanies. You need to leave any find a more socially responsible company. So go ahead.

This is one of their bigger issues, people like 85 and Bob believe the general public benefits significantly from this. They live in a dream world where 90+ percent of the population (which they are included in) don't own only a small fraction of the wealth.

Then leave. If you're going to throw a hissy fit about what your company is doing, if you "morally object" so greatly, then leave. No one is forcing you to work there. Go ahead and leave.

Any company worth working for would be doing the same thing because it's good business. None of them should have had the option. This was sold to the American people as a tax cut for them and that companies would give raises and create jobs. Only people who have never planned financials know how this works 95% of the American public has no clue what their companies saved in taxes and what they spend on those "crumbs."

And yes I did ok in the deal. I'm not poor and I'm not arguing policy for myself. I shouldn't have benefited as much as I did. I live in a big house and have a nice truck and my kids go to a top school. I'm not rich but I didn't need tax cuts and stock handouts while we have huge wealth inequality.

Any company worth working for would be doing the same thing because it's good business. None of them should have had the option. This was sold to the American people as a tax cut for them and that companies would give raises and create jobs. Only people who have never planned financials know how this works 95% of the American public has no clue what their companies saved in taxes and what they spend on those "crumbs."

And yes I did ok in the deal. I'm not poor and I'm not arguing policy for myself. I shouldn't have benefited as much as I did. I live in a big house and have a nice truck and my kids go to a top school. I'm not rich but I didn't need tax cuts and stock handouts while we have huge wealth inequality.

You've ignored every single thread and story on this board featuring companies investing in their operations, bringing jobs back to the US, expanding their footprints, paying people more, etc. It's not even worth rehashing those again because you've decide you will simply ignore them. You made your mind up long ago that nothing good can come from reducing our taxes, so that we aren't the highest taxed developed nation in the world.

I do like how you adopted the Pelosi codeword of "crumbs" though. How many of her fantasyland PR stops did you listen to? lol

You've ignored every single thread and story on this board featuring companies investing in their operations, bringing jobs back to the US, expanding their footprints, paying people more, etc. It's not even worth rehashing those again because you've decide you will simply ignore them. You made your mind up long ago that nothing good can come from reducing our taxes, so that we aren't the highest taxed developed nation in the world.

I do like how you adopted the Pelosi codeword of "crumbs" though. How many of her fantasyland PR stops did you listen to? lol
I know crumbs when I see them.

Yeap, the government should be mandating what businesses should do with their money. You seem to be lost on what the purpose of a business is, to make the shareholders money, not be a charity for employees.

By the way, if I posted about how generous my company was in sharing the 5M in bonuses it would probably get a great reaction but when I also happen to know our tax cost savings the story isn't so rose tinted at 15%. Find me a story posted here that gives hard numbers of companies reinvesting the majority of their tax savings in permanent pay raises and I'll find you 10,000 companies that aren't.

Yeap, the government should be mandating what businesses should do with their money. You seem to be lost on what the purpose of a business is, to make the shareholders money, not be a charity for employees.

Oh no you must be mistaken. I've been assured that businesses will reinvest that money into their employees.

The reason I hate the tax cuts is because I know that the goal of a business is 100% maximizing income for shareholders. People who own substantial stock in America are the richest 10%. The biggest tax changes went to companies who will maximize the wealth of the richest 10%

You forgot the Republican talking point is that business will reinvest in the middle class.

By the way, if I posted about how generous my company was in sharing the 5M in bonuses it would probably get a great reaction but when I also happen to know our tax cost savings the story isn't so rose tinted at 15%. Find me a story posted here that gives hard numbers of companies reinvesting the majority of their tax savings in permanent pay raises and I'll find you 10,000 companies that aren't.

When did I ever claim that? You are, once again, moving the goalposts to argue against something that was never said. It's incredible how often you do this.

I don't have the time or inclination to research these companies and figure out what a majority savings would be, and match that against investment and hiring pledges. And you know this, which is why you moved the goalpost to such asinine claim.

There's also the fact that most companies have no idea what their savings actually will be.

Regardless, this is all moot. You know you've ignored the story after story after story of companies hiring and paying more thanks to the tax bill, so you're just peddling new bullshit to distract everyone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT