ADVERTISEMENT

Could UCF win in 2019 with Quinton Flowers?

There are many similarities, and only a few differences. I always thought that Flowers was a bit underrated on a national level.

Flowers was very quick and shifty running the ball. He wasn’t as big as Wimbush. Both had/have very similar speed.

As far a passing the ball, both had great arms, but weren’t consistently accurate. Winbush did play agains better competition overall, but Flowers did have his moments vs P5 teams

Flowers was a competitor like none other and I really respected that. He had no quit in him and played every game to the end like it was his last game. Never say die attitude. It was scary. Not yet sure if Wimbush is that kind of player.

Ultimately, Flowers was best when a play broke down and he didn’t have to think. When he was allowed to play in a less disciplined manner.

Notre Dame fans are saying that Wimbush is that guy as well.

The comparison is mostly difficult based on competition, surrounding talent, etc.
Flowers was asked to be the entire USF offense at times. Could you see Wimbush having a game like Flowers did against UCF in 2017?

Based on past film, I can’t.

Additionally, Wimbush actually has less experience at QB on a college level

I like this topic! Hard to say... but I like our chances at getting to the CCG!

Wimbush is a much better runner than Flowers. More elusive in general. Better timing. Definitely a more powerful runner, looks just as fast but has better acceleration, hits harder, and is tougher to bring down (even if wrapped up).

We have at least one very good option at QB. The starting job will still go to whoever is more accurate. The coaches are in a good position having to choose between the guys on our team.

Reactions: Mikesi
I like this topic! Hard to say... but I like our chances at getting to the CCG!

Wimbush is a much better runner than Flowers. More elusive in general. Better timing. Definitely a more powerful runner, looks just as fast but has better acceleration, hits harder, and is tougher to bring down (even if wrapped up).

We have at least one very good option at QB. The starting job will still go to whoever is more accurate. The coaches are in a good position having to choose between the guys on our team.
One thing we know for sure is that the 2019 UCF Knights are going to have a successful and talented QB running the ball. For years to come actually

Oh., then there is that #30 guy.

Reactions: Knight Strength
The team has had unprecedented success so I don't know if/how we can keep up the same level of success but we definitely have the players to do it one more year. If coaching and recruiting stay consistent we could stay at the top of the American for a long time.

Character is something not discussed. I don't see Wimbush jerking off the crowd after scoring a touchdown. Just saying...I'm proud knowing we bring in folks having high standards and morals.

Character is something not discussed. I don't see Wimbush jerking off the crowd after scoring a touchdown. Just saying...I'm proud knowing we bring in folks having high standards and morals.

Added excitement. :alien:

Flowers had 8,000 passing yards and 71 passing TDs. 3,600 yards rushing and 41 TDs. Wimbush has 2600 passing yards and 20 TDs. 1,100 rushing yards and 16 TDs. Not even comparable. Wimbush is closer to Mack.

Glass houses... Nate Evans standing over the LSU player comes to mind yet I don’t think any of us see him as having character issues. It’s an emotional game but asking every 22year old to stay in line can be a challenge.

Glass houses... Nate Evans standing over the LSU player comes to mind yet I don’t think any of us see him as having character issues. It’s an emotional game but asking every 22year old to stay in line can be a challenge.
Taunting a player you just laid out is worse than the fans who are yelling at you and saying stuff about your girlfriend and Mom.

Both were extremely classless moves. After that incident and game, I respected Flowers more as a player than a person

Reactions: ahabmw
So you guys are saying if Book went to USF we never see Flowers play? Yeah ok.
Completely different players and argument

Book isn’t necessarily better than Wimbush. He just was for Notre Dame. Offense was more geared towards Book’s strengths

Wimbush might be better for UCF or USF. running the ball and playing against AAC competition. Book may not be.

However,

Flowers > Wimbush until proven otherwise

Completely different players and argument

Book isn’t necessarily better than Wimbush. He just was for Notre Dame. Offense was more geared towards Book’s strengths

Wimbush might be better for UCF or USF. running the ball and playing against AAC competition. Book may not be.

However,

Flowers > Wimbush until proven otherwise
I looked at just his games against G5 opponents Ball St,UMASS, Temple, Miami Oh and Navy. Totaled 781 passing yards, 7TDs and 4 Interceptions. Totaled 268 rushing yards and 4 TDs. Averaged 157 yards passing and 54 yards running. Against G5. That’s not going to cut it.

We could always try this... Mack at QB, McCrae in the backfield, BW in the slot then going in motion. Imagine the headache for the D trying to cover the run! That would also open up many passing opportunities! Throw AK out wide....

We need high level competition between Wimbush and Mack to have a chance at going undefeated again in AAC this year. Knowing that Wimbush isn't KZ it's comforting to know that he's the most agile runner of the three.

We need high level competition between Wimbush and Mack to have a chance at going undefeated again in AAC this year. Knowing that Wimbush isn't KZ it's comforting to know that he's the most agile runner of the three.
I wouldn’t sleep on Mack as a runner. Nobody yet knows his ceiling. It could be unbelievable based on what we have seen so far

there were allegedly a UCF fan(s) screaming at him about his Dead Parent, if that is true I can't really blame him for absolutely hating our fanbase.

And I know after the game there were some of our fans saying it was made up by Flowers but it's not the first time our fanbase has been accused of behaving badly so I doubt it

there were allegedly a UCF fan(s) screaming at him about his Dead Parent, if that is true I can't really blame him for absolutely hating our fanbase.

And I know after the game there were some of our fans saying it was made up by Flowers but it's not the first time our fanbase has been accused of behaving badly so I doubt it
I never blame athletes for going after fans. They don’t do it for fun. It’s beca the fan thinks they are tough or safe behind a fence.

So lets drop down to the level of a couple drunk fans in the stands? Its called leadership and being a role model to your team, and to others in the community; doing the right thing even if your feelings are telling you otherwise.

So lets drop down to the level of a couple drunk fans in the stands? Its called leadership and being a role model to your team, and to others in the community; doing the right thing even if your feelings are telling you otherwise.
If you are looking at football players to be role models in your community, you are looking in the wrong place.

I like that ucf can have an intimidating environment but Fans can cross the line

When you go through what Flowers has gone through and to have a fan mock that I give him a pass for 1 bad gesture in anger

I like that ucf can have an intimidating environment but Fans can cross the line

When you go through what Flowers has gone through and to have a fan mock that I give him a pass for 1 bad gesture in anger
So if one of our players jacked it towards the Bool fans we’d be laughing all day about it.

The idea that a college student is immediately decried for any provoked response because they wear an athletic uniform is dumb. Fans, particularly drunk students can be incredibly cruel. The student sections are the ones that should face scrutiny, as those are the obnoxious fans that grow up to yell racist and homphobic slurs at players like what happened in a Red Sox game because they think it's just part of the game.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2762079/amp

Highlights from the article.

Duke fanbase chanted how's your grandma, 1 week after an opposing players grandmother passed away.

Chants of orphan directed at players whose both parents passed away.

A sign directed at jj Redick indicating the fan sexually assaulted his 12 year old sister.

In each case if the player wants to flip off the fan or do what flowers did, that's them showing restraint. Those fans deserve a whole lot worse.

The idea that a college student is immediately decried for any provoked response because they wear an athletic uniform is dumb. Fans, particularly drunk students can be incredibly cruel. The student sections are the ones that should face scrutiny, as those are the obnoxious fans that grow up to yell racist and homphobic slurs at players like what happened in a Red Sox game because they think it's just part of the game.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2762079/amp

Highlights from the article.

Duke fanbase chanted how's your grandma, 1 week after an opposing players grandmother passed away.

Chants of orphan directed at players whose both parents passed away.

A sign directed at jj Redick indicating the fan sexually assaulted his 12 year old sister.

In each case if the player wants to flip off the fan or do what flowers did, that's them showing restraint. Those fans deserve a whole lot worse.
Malice at the Palace

I wouldn’t sleep on Mack as a runner. Nobody yet knows his ceiling. It could be unbelievable based on what we have seen so far
Different running styles and he couldn't get out of the pocket against LSU which I know KZ would have at least some of the time. Wimbush is running all over the place in his vid.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Different running styles and he couldn't get out of the pocket against LSU which I know KZ would have at least some of the time. Wimbush is running all over the place in his vid.
Since he’s so inexperienced as a passer, LSU keyed on Mack running with the ball. The offensive line didn’t help.

I believe Mack has a longer run than any of the above and one even longer run that was called back. Additionally, he probably has more rushing yards in a game and TDs than either KZ and Wimbush.

All this and he’s barely played.

Last edited:
Not exactly 100% relevant to this thread, but I came across this article on Aranda’s defensive system the other day and it’s pretty interesting and definitely confused UCF’s offense.
https://td328-5f8d55.pages.infusionsoft.net/
Thanks!

Ultimately, I think if we had Milton, ran the ball more with McCrae, didn’t have the drop or the stupid penalties that we win that game.

Any of the above really, but I’m sure LSU fans would disagree. That’s fine

Additionally, for 2 million dollars a year, I would expect/hope that an SEC defensive coordinator would be able to confuse a first year head coach and a QB starting his third game

I believe Mack has a longer run than any of the above and one even longer run that was called back.
Against ECU it was called back right? It was a hell of a run, he looked so quick turning the corner and running down the sidelines

would bet Wimbush is better at 'play broke down' runs than Mack, sample size is small but some of those large negative plays can be avoided with a QB with better awareness of pressure

Against ECU it was called back right? It was a hell of a run, he looked so quick turning the corner and running down the sidelines
I think so. It was a very nice run. Maybe 80 yards. Would have put him near 200 I believe

would bet Wimbush is better at 'play broke down' runs than Mack, sample size is small but some of those large negative plays can be avoided with a QB with better awareness of pressure
Yes. It appears that Wimbush or KZ are more instinctive. Sometimes those things take time. Other times, the QB just never gets it

Brian Kelly's offense doesn't favor dual threat guys. That's why Wimbush, Golson and Zaire all wound up getting passed over/bailed out by pro-style quarterbacks (Rees, Kizer and Book). And Kelly would change QB's rather than tweak his offense.

Either Wimbush or Mack is going to do great with Heupel. WHoever is more accurate with those medium range throws is going to win the job.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Brian Kelly's offense doesn't favor dual threat guys. That's why Wimbush, Golson and Zaire all wound up getting passed over/bailed out by pro-style quarterbacks (Rees, Kizer and Book). And Kelly would change QB's rather than tweak his offense.

Either Wimbush or Mack is going to do great with Heupel. WHoever is more accurate with those medium range throws is going to win the job.

Totally agree. Mack needs to improve in reading the defense and getting out of the pocket when the play is breaking down to keep his #1 spot. KZ had a whole season in 2016 to improve at this while being small enough to squeeze through crumbling pockets of protection. I'm very happy with the depth we have at the QB position now :)

I was very proud of how our team played after KZ went down. A lot of upside going into next season!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT