ADVERTISEMENT

Could UCF's football attendance rank MUCH HIGHER in the nation due to COVID-19 policies?

KnightMatt8

Silver Knight
May 29, 2001
Governor Ron DeSantis appears to be, in my opinion, pushing for as speedy a return to normal business, school, and other operations within the state of Florida as he can. I say this neither as praise nor as criticism of what he's doing. The question on my mind is could UCF football have an advantage over schools in states that have had more restrictive lockdowns in terms of what our game attendance will be this fall? Maybe it's a crazy thought, I don't know; if I sound crazy, just scroll on to the next message, I guess, LOL. But I'd be interested to hear some thoughts about what attendance might be like at our home games this fall.

This thought has crossed my mind as well. Especially with some schools saying they will not be going back to campus in the fall and others saying they won't play unless students are back on campus. But I think it's too far out to have a good feel for this.

I bet some of these other schools reverse their decisions and we still don't know what UCF will do.

Reactions: KnightMatt8
This thought has crossed my mind as well. Especially with some schools saying they will not be going back to campus in the fall and others saying they won't play unless students are back on campus. But I think it's too far out to have a good feel for this.

I bet some of these other schools reverse their decisions and we still don't know what UCF will do.
Another wait and see topic just like recruiting. I kind of miss last year when we were just waiting on normal stuff like eligibility waivers and the QB battle.

I agree that it is still too soon to say for certain one way or the other. I'm basically operating on theory here. A lot could change in the next week or two, much less one-to-two months from now.

Reactions: Knight Strength
I agree that it is still too soon to say for certain one way or the other. I'm basically operating on theory here. A lot could change in the next week or two, much less one-to-two months from now.
Exactly. Very fair topic. I am interested in others thoughts on this as well.

some of you really overrate the tribalism of our fanbase..most of our games pre Covid19 were half empty mid third quarter.

Heat, direct Sun, and many other excuses have led to a lot of empty rows other than the 1 big division or rivalry game yet everyone thinks we are just going to blindly pack it in?

Reactions: Flem3000
some of you really overrate the tribalism of our fanbase..most of our games pre Covid19 were half empty mid third quarter.

Heat, direct Sun, and many other excuses have led to a lot of empty rows other than the 1 big division or rivalry game yet everyone thinks we are just going to blindly pack it in?
Yea we're still building the dedicated part of our fanbase. The most we can ask for at this point is for fans to show up early enough for us to start with a home field advantage.

No, you make a fair point. I don't mean to suggest that I'm convinced we'll have an attendance advantage. At this point, I'm undecided one way or the other.

Same thing at Bama when they aren’t playing a top 25 team.

I can only speak to myself and family with this, but from my point of view, I wouldn’t expect anywhere near full capacity. In fact, it may be forcefully limited.

I have season tickets, but I also have a newborn two month old son. Our original plan was to go to as many games as possible, grandparents were looking forward to the baby sitting time. But after Covid, I’m not planning on being at any games. I can’t risk bringing it home. Mask or no mask. UCF can keep my money as a donation.

I’m not convinced there’s even going to be a season. Disney is operating at minimal guests, I don’t see how any sports team is just going to pack the fans in. The team showed up for practice and players caught it. I’m sure they’ll make a recovery. But if you can’t guarantee it won’t spread within a small group, hoe are you going to justify the safety of thousands of people? And I’d love to see a decision where they try to limit fans and try and decide which ones with tickets are allowed in and which aren’t.

it’s going to be a mess.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
If there are no restrictions, I’m expecting a great crowd for North Carolina. I have already had 3 people ask me if I had tickets

My office was packed today and I’m 45 minutes from UCF. There wasn’t a single person of any age that didn’t come in due to Covid. That’s a 180 from just 6 weeks ago

I’m not convinced there’s even going to be a season.
They have already announced coaching interaction dates and full practice dates. No person of college football player age has died in Florida. The doomsday scenario and fear mongering is over. We know a lot more about this than in March.

The season is a go

I can only speak to myself and family with this, but from my point of view, I wouldn’t expect anywhere near full capacity. In fact, it may be forcefully limited.

I have season tickets, but I also have a newborn two month old son. Our original plan was to go to as many games as possible, grandparents were looking forward to the baby sitting time. But after Covid, I’m not planning on being at any games. I can’t risk bringing it home. Mask or no mask. UCF can keep my money as a donation.

I’m not convinced there’s even going to be a season. Disney is operating at minimal guests, I don’t see how any sports team is just going to pack the fans in. The team showed up for practice and players caught it. I’m sure they’ll make a recovery. But if you can’t guarantee it won’t spread within a small group, hoe are you going to justify the safety of thousands of people? And I’d love to see a decision where they try to limit fans and try and decide which ones with tickets are allowed in and which aren’t.

it’s going to be a mess.
It’s true. Based on an informal poll on this board half the people aren’t comfortable going out to eat in the midst of this pandemic. I feel it’s even less that will sit for 3-4 hours in a stadium. Universal has opened and crowds are at roughly 20% of the level from a year ago. This even in the first period of reopening which should be higher due to pent up demand.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...os-crowds-look-extremely-thin-after-reopening

UCF ticket demand will decrease substantially especially for the lesser conference games and with likely limited tailgating.

College football's latest tenuous steps toward an on-time return are being taken. The NCAA College Football Oversight Committee will submit a detailed four-phase plan next week for football activities to begin in mid-July.

The committee will recommend that coaches begin interacting with players on July 13 with training camp starting on Aug. 7. Those dates would each be pushed up a week for the handful of teams competing in Week 0.

It’s time to attempt get back to normal life.

thread is about projected attendance and demand in the current situation, there are a lot of fans in the same situation as Ace

Yes, UCF’s attendance could be much higher in proportion to the stadium size if allowed

This is because people are much more comfortable at this point due to DeSantis opening things up in a concise, well-organized manner and trying not to stir up the public with fear-mongering and the doomsday mentality scenario. Some beaches were open for exercise early on and he stressed outdoor activities with the proper social distancing precautions

The team showed up for practice and players caught it.

Not that it makes a big difference but I don't think the timeline supports your claim that the players showed up and caught it.........the players showed up, they were tested and the results were positive......allegedly all 3 cases were asymptomatic. That said I do agree that keeping the spread across football teams is going to be very challenging at best........If they do play this season it is very possible that many players will be sitting out for multiple games and many 2nd and 3rd string will get playing time.......

Governor Ron DeSantis appears to be, in my opinion, pushing for as speedy a return to normal business, school, and other operations within the state of Florida as he can. I say this neither as praise nor as criticism of what he's doing. The question on my mind is could UCF football have an advantage over schools in states that have had more restrictive lockdowns in terms of what our game attendance will be this fall? Maybe it's a crazy thought, I don't know; if I sound crazy, just scroll on to the next message, I guess, LOL. But I'd be interested to hear some thoughts about what attendance might be like at our home games this fall.
I was reading that Trump is going to have rallies where people have to sign Covid waivers to attend. College football could do the same

I was reading that Trump is going to have rallies where people have to sign Covid waivers to attend. College football could do the same

What does the waiver accomplish?

Full stadiums won't happen, cause if you don't take extra precautions and an outbreak occurs. Odds are at least a few dozen people out of 40k will end up in the hospital and incur medical expenses. Even if you block the lawyer, the news is going to be, covid outbreak at blank university football game.

What does the waiver accomplish?

Full stadiums won't happen, cause if you don't take extra precautions and an outbreak occurs. Odds are at least a few dozen people out of 40k will end up in the hospital and incur medical expenses. Even if you block the lawyer, the news is going to be, covid outbreak at blank university football game.
Fair question. I was thinking legal liability. But that’s a fair point, the court of public opinion works differently

It’s true. Based on an informal poll on this board half the people aren’t comfortable going out to eat in the midst of this pandemic. I feel it’s even less that will sit for 3-4 hours in a stadium. Universal has opened and crowds are at roughly 20% of the level from a year ago. This even in the first period of reopening which should be higher due to pent up demand.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...os-crowds-look-extremely-thin-after-reopening

UCF ticket demand will decrease substantially especially for the lesser conference games and with likely limited tailgating.
Why limit tailgating? People are spread all over campus. They only place I see packed in tailgating is memory mall

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Hate to break it to everyone, we all will eventually get this, it isn’t going away and who is to say the vaccine will work. They should just open everything up and if you want to go, go. If not don’t go. Do you all worry this much about the flu, pneumonia, meningitis. Get on with living, your life is short enough and wasting it being scared is no way to live.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Hate to break it to everyone, we all will eventually get this, it isn’t going away and who is to say the vaccine will work. They should just open everything up and if you want to go, go. If not don’t go. Do you all worry this much about the flu, pneumonia, meningitis. Get on with living, your life is short enough and wasting it being scared is no way to live.
It’s not all about you though. That’s my dilemma. I’m not too worried about recovering from the virus myself, but could I live with myself if I unknowingly gave to my parents who are at high risk for complications? I don’t think so.

It’s not all about you though. That’s my dilemma. I’m not too worried about recovering from the virus myself, but could I live with myself if I unknowingly gave to my parents who are at high risk for complications? I don’t think so.

I’m in the same boat. I go to work, and to the store when I have to. But can’t risk bringing it back to my infant who is just starting to develop an immune system.

The country we not get moving with these thoughts. My dad and in laws are in their 70’s going about their life. All their friends are as well. Woodstock accrued during a pandemic that had a higher death rate. It isn’t going away so people can either move on or be paralyzed by fear. I get it but is that really living? How long do we just not normalize life. Like I said some flu years are disastrous. The swine flu killed way more children than this and yet they went to school, my kids did.

Then live life and don’t give it to your parent or the elderly. That’s what I’m doing.

The country we not get moving with these thoughts. My dad and in laws are in their 70’s going about their life. All their friends are as well. Woodstock accrued during a pandemic that had a higher death rate. It isn’t going away so people can either move on or be paralyzed by fear. I get it but is that really living? How long do we just not normalize life. Like I said some flu years are disastrous. The swine flu killed way more children than this and yet they went to school, my kids did.
Woodstock took place in August 1969. The first wave of the 1968 influenza pandemic peaked at the end of 1968 and ended in March 1969. The second wave started in November of 1969. So no Woodstock didn’t take place during a period of time where there was a virus circulating at higher death rate, but rather between 2 waves of influenza. Your anecdotal stories (which I believe) of relatives of yours in their 70s “getting on with normal life” doesn’t mean that it is the right thing to be doing at this time. It’s not a big deal for most. They are just limiting public gatherings and wearing masks and taking sanitization precautions when going out.

Woodstock took place in August 1969. The first wave of the 1968 influenza pandemic peaked at the end of 1968 and ended in March 1969. The second wave started in November of 1969. So no Woodstock didn’t take place during a period of time where there was a virus circulating at higher death rate, but rather between 2 waves of influenza. Your anecdotal stories (which I believe) of relatives of yours in their 70s “getting on with normal life” doesn’t mean that it is the right thing to be doing at this time. It’s not a big deal for most. They are just limiting public gatherings and wearing masks and taking sanitization precautions when going out.
So you are trying to tell me that the flu I mentioned was not occurring during the Woodstock area, I guess because it was between waves my comparison is invalid, you do realize football games went on, people went to basketball games, hockey games, flew, took trains, subways, and drove all over the country during this period. Kids went to school, college football was played, a war was going on. Same thing for the flu in the 50’s. I only get one go around on this rock and I am not going to sit back and let a year or two go by due to being scared. I don’t want to get this but sitting around isn’t an option...time we don’t get back. High school kids missed many milestones this year and won’t get to experience many of the things you were able to. Ask any elderly person if they would go back and time and sit at home doing nothing for a year.

So you are trying to tell me that the flu I mentioned was not occurring during the Woodstock area, I guess because it was between waves my comparison is invalid, you do realize football games went on, people went to basketball games, hockey games, flew, took trains, subways, and drove all over the country during this period. Kids went to school, college football was played, a war was going on. Same thing for the flu in the 50’s. I only get one go around on this rock and I am not going to sit back and let a year or two go by due to being scared. I don’t want to get this but sitting around isn’t an option...time we don’t get back. High school kids missed many milestones this year and won’t get to experience many of the things you were able to. Ask any elderly person if they would go back and time and sit at home doing nothing for a year.
Here’s what I’m telling you. It occurred when people weren’t dying from the flu pandemic. Between waves. I fully expect we play football. Because you have relatives in their 70s who want to risk it, that’s fine. I don’t care. Good for them. My parents don’t want to risk it. They also want to see their children and grandchildren which is why I’m being careful. You can be reckless if you like and still leave others to behave how they see fit.

I don't like going there on this forum but you are a complete idiot if you are still comparing covid19 to the flu at this point.
Name calling is not a good way to debate people, so what if you disagree...anyways my point is we have had pandemics in the past and didn’t shut everything down. Her is a link to the CDC for the 68-69 flu. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1968-pandemic.html Here is one for 55 flu. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1957-1958-pandemic.html Population was way less. So do you all propose we don’t ever go back to normal? Who is to say the vaccine will work, what then. If people don’t want to go out that is cool, the rest of should be able to. Make sure we wash our hands, stay home if sick and do the best we can.

https://apnews.com/ae59cfc0641fc63afd09182bb832ebe2

wearing a mask at Publix, curbside carryout, essentials(work), and outings with a trusted circle of family/friends is a little different than walking into a 45K crowd when someone close to a fan may be immunocompromised . not everyone has that selfish mindset and they are not a 'bad fan' if they punt on 2020 barring a major treatment breakthrough and/or vaccine by September.

Reactions: Nyght Shadow

wearing a mask at Publix, curbside carryout, essentials(work), and outings with a trusted circle of family/friends is a little different than walking into a 45K crowd when someone close to a fan may be immunocompromised . not everyone has that selfish mindset and they are not a 'bad fan' if they punt on 2020 barring a major treatment breakthrough and/or vaccine by September.
Like I said if people don’t want to go then don’t go.

Like I said if people don’t want to go then don’t go.
That’s the point of this thread. A good portion won’t go. You actually said “Do you all worry this much about the flu, pneumonia, meningitis. Get on with living, your life is short enough and wasting it being scared is no way to live.”

Sorry it isn’t “wasting my life” to limit public interactions with people I don’t know who haven’t been taking precautions to prevent getting the virus. I can still live my life spending time with friends and family who are being careful. My parents are living their lives seeing their grandchildren regularly. And I don’t want to risk giving them the virus.

First of all, the risk of getting Covid in Publix and a game is EXTREMELY low if the proper precautions are taken. Second of all, nobody who’s immunocompromised should be going to games

Lastly, outings and get togethers with family and friends does carry a risk as you’re more likely to be VERY close in an intimate setting and sharing things

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT