ADVERTISEMENT

Crazy Plane Incident

Evidently they had a total containment failure of one of the CFM56 engines, AP now reporting she died. Terrible.

Guess 60 Minutes should have covered Southwest and not Allegiant Air.

Just the other day Southwest attempted to land in a nasty storm at New Orleans. Passengers texting "goodbye", scream, cry, vomit... Aborted and had to go to Panama, FL to re-fuel. Not a good week for Southwest.

Guess 60 Minutes should have covered Southwest and not Allegiant Air.
Actually, both. This is not the first time SWA has had a 737 cowling come undone recently. Although it's the first time it's happened to a mid-age 737-700, and not an old 737-300.

As I posted to the Dungeon thread:
Yet another 737 engine cowling that broke off for SWA. And this is not the first time.

I swear SWA has some serious issues with how they are maintaining those 737s. It was one thing when it was an older 737-300, but this is a mid-age 737-700.

Many times I've shot photos of un-flush panels on their jets near the mount or even the cowling. I've sent them to Southwest for analysis, and heard nothing.

I've mentioned it on the pilot forums too. Apparently it's a known issue by some of their flyers. The FAA really needs to investigate their maintenance.

On a brighter note ... at least someone might get a new chair out of this. ;)
http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2016/04/a-repurposed-boeing-737-engine-cowling-makes-a-great-chair/

That said ...
Just the other day Southwest attempted to land in a nasty storm at New Orleans. Passengers texting "goodbye", scream, cry, vomit... Aborted and had to go to Panama, FL to re-fuel. Not a good week for Southwest.
That's not a SWA issue.

In fact, both SWA and Allegiant have some excellent, well compensated aircrews, because they don't codeshare. The few times they attempted such, they ended it quickly.

The 737, like the A320 series, has excellent flight handling. They are capable of landing in a lot of storms that some aircraft cannot.

Even the MD80 that Allegiant still runs were excellent in their time, especially as longer-distance commuters. Boeing stupidly shut down the line after they bought McD, and both Brazil's Embraer (EJ-190 series) and Canada's Bombardier (various RJ series) swooped in and took their customers.

The MD-95 (Boeing 717) held the highest on-time departure rate for 3 years straight, and Delta sure loves them (leased from SWA, former AirTran). They are fast and cake to work on.

Actually, both. This is not the first time SWA has had a 737 cowling come undone recently. Although it's the first time it's happened to a mid-age 737-700, and not an old 737-300.

As I posted to the Dungeon thread:
Correction, it was another 737-700 a little while back ...

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/...-failure-of-southwest-airlines-flight-wn-3472
VMkQZ.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT