ADVERTISEMENT

Crooked Can Brewing

cnsaguy

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Sep 18, 2002
Chemmie, you know these guys? Opening up in Winter Garden soon.

Nope. Never heard of it.
There are a few new breweries trying to open in the Orlando area, but being slowed down by regulation. The only person I know opening one is Ten-10 Brewing on Virginia Ave, in Colonialtown.
Otherwise, I seem to know more people opening breweries in Tampa and Miami than in my own town. Our city regulators are morons. Miami, Tampa, Jax, and even Tallahassee, are exploding with new beer and Orlando sits here rotting away with Orlando Brewing's garbage.

Here's and article of the guys developing it and the brewmasters

link

Originally posted by chemmie:
Nope. Never heard of it.
There are a few new breweries trying to open in the Orlando area, but being slowed down by regulation. The only person I know opening one is Ten-10 Brewing on Virginia Ave, in Colonialtown.
Otherwise, I seem to know more people opening breweries in Tampa and Miami than in my own town. Our city regulators are morons. Miami, Tampa, Jax, and even Tallahassee, are exploding with new beer and Orlando sits here rotting away with Orlando Brewing's garbage.
I'm happy to see new businesses but I think these new startups are in growth frenzy mode but will run into a wall eventually. Just in downtwon St Pete now there is Green Bench, St Pete Brewing Co, and now 3 Daughters. Neither really has found distribution into supermarkets, even locally, and their tasting rooms aren't particularly packed. At least not when I've beenthere.

In the case of 3 Daughters, they have an awesome venue with stuff to do, but the beer is so-so.

I can find Cigar City in most downtown St Pete bars but rarely can find these offered.

Originally posted by UCFKnight85:
Originally posted by chemmie:
Nope. Never heard of it.
I'm happy to see new businesses but I think these new startups are in growth frenzy mode but will run into a wall eventually. Just in downtwon St Pete now there is Green Bench, St Pete Brewing Co, and now 3 Daughters. Neither really has found distribution into supermarkets, even locally, and their tasting rooms aren't particularly packed. At least not when I've beenthere.

In the case of 3 Daughters, they have an awesome venue with stuff to do, but the beer is so-so.

I can find Cigar City in most downtown St Pete bars but rarely can find these offered.
Cigar City is already much, much, much, larger than those other guys, in just the 5-6 years they have been open. That's why you see them everywhere.

Every one of those breweries still can't keep up with demand, though. The industry is still growing. I suspect there will be a slowdown soon, and brewers making inferior products will be weeded out, like 3 Daughters.

It's the same thing here in VA. We did a 3-brewery run last weekend: Forge Brew Works, Fairwinds Brewing Company and Port City Brewing. The first one had awesome beer and an awesome tasting room but it's surrounded by car shops and shit. Second one is in a very nice building bu the beer sucked. Port City is the only one that you can find everywhere in the area, but the vanue was packed with more hipsters than Little Miss Knight and dingy's wedding. That's just 3 of the many breweries in the state. Seems like there's one every 5 miles or something.

I know Trader Joe's let's you make your own six pack but I don't remember any other supermarkets doing that in FL. Up here, all the supermarkets let you do that so it's easier to taste what's out there, since every one of them carries almost completely different stock.

I didn't find a beer I really liked the first time we went to Crooked Can but they only had 8-10 going at the time. My wife found a few she was really in to though and I love the overall atmosphere and can't wait till they open up the whole market there.

Goin w this obscure brew tonight:
c8Os7iE.jpg

Team Filasteen

Been there a few times now. Haven't tried all but the Weisenbock is really good. The Kolsch and the APA are also solid. Not a big fan of their "flagship" beers.

The beers are better than I thought they'd be, so I'm happy about that.

I've heard they are supposed to be pretty good.

Nope. Never heard of it.

Oxy-Moron*

Not even close to true. There are plenty of excellent lagers. Sadly (and I was guilty of this at a point in time as well) a lot of people getting into craft beer now adays want big, bold, brews. The phase runs its course, and soon you're looking for a great, crisp, lager that you can drink a bunch of on a hot day. A lot of craft brewers are doing it now, too. Just look at all the (not necessarily lagers) berlinner weiss, gose, session IPA, hoppy session lagers, low abv saisons, etc.

Crooked Can is pretty good. The location is really cool, too. I never knew downtown Winter Garden was as cool and quaint as it is. Certainly worth a visit. None of their beers were offensive. They were all above average, even if most of them were typical styles. They weren't trying anything new or crazy when I was there, just doing normal styles and doing them well.

I just realized I have a friend who works there, so that's even more incentive to check it out- it seems like they run a clean and solid facility (based on her snapchats of the brewing area) and the employees seem laid back and friendly.

Not even close to true. There are plenty of excellent lagers. Sadly (and I was guilty of this at a point in time as well) a lot of people getting into craft beer now adays want big, bold, brews. The phase runs its course, and soon you're looking for a great, crisp, lager that you can drink a bunch of on a hot day. A lot of craft brewers are doing it now, too. Just look at all the (not necessarily lagers) berlinner weiss, gose, session IPA, hoppy session lagers, low abv saisons, etc.

Crooked Can is pretty good. The location is really cool, too. I never knew downtown Winter Garden was as cool and quaint as it is. Certainly worth a visit. None of their beers were offensive. They were all above average, even if most of them were typical styles. They weren't trying anything new or crazy when I was there, just doing normal styles and doing them well.

Yes, lagers like Mama's Lil Pils are awesome. The 3 Daughters Beach Blonde Ale is awesome too but I know it's "not technically" a lager. But close.

However, if I'm just grabbing something cold and light to slam while in my pool or at the beach, getting some High Life is more than fine. The good stuff can wait for dinner.

Yes, lagers like Mama's Lil Pils are awesome. The 3 Daughters Beach Blonde Ale is awesome too but I know it's "not technically" a lager. But close.

Yeah especially for the summer in Florida, you're going to want to find great-tasting sessionable lagers, IPAs, and ales, and not the next great imperial stout that comes out.

Founders All Day IPA 15 packs ftw. My fridge is always stocked with one of these.

Reactions: fabknight

However, if I'm just grabbing something cold and light to slam while in my pool or at the beach, getting some High Life is more than fine. The good stuff can wait for dinner.
Well yes; you're both right. I don't really like Lagers - hence my comment. Lil Pils is great (of course, it's a pilsner) and 3 Daughters Beach Blonde Ale is a blonde ale or maybe Kolsch.

Victory Prima Pils and Sam Adams IPL are both good choices.

I had a lot of Kalik this past weekend in the Bahamas. It tasted pretty damn good on those beaches.

I had a lot of Kalik this past weekend in the Bahamas. It tasted pretty damn good on those beaches.
Kalik is good - i think it is obvious i was talking about mass-produced American lagers previously.
Hard to beat a Kalik or Corona when you're beach on a sand bar floating behind the boat.

I've been drinking it like water since it got to Florida. ...and the Anderson Valley Gose.
I had that for the first time the other day. It's kind of 1-dimensional but you can't get anything similar for less than double the money.

I've been drinking it like water since it got to Florida. ...and the Anderson Valley Gose.

Just tried Oskar Blues Pinner the other day. This was the second best session I've had behind All Day. And it's cheaper...

Reactions: fabknight
Love me some Oskar Blues. Where did you find the Pinner?
You can get Pinner almost anywhere that has Dales or G'dnight. Total Wine, ABC, Big C...maybe even Publix.

Pinner is good stuff. I've been drinking a lot of it, too.

I went back to Crooked Can this past weekend. The market is open there, awesome place. Their Kolsch is great, as are their stouts. With a couple decent restaurants within walking distance, that is becoming a nice place to go on the weekends.

You can get Pinner almost anywhere that has Dales or G'dnight. Total Wine, ABC, Big C...maybe even Publix.

Pinner is good stuff. I've been drinking a lot of it, too.

I went back to Crooked Can this past weekend. The market is open there, awesome place. Their Kolsch is great, as are their stouts. With a couple decent restaurants within walking distance, that is becoming a nice place to go on the weekends.

Thanks. I typically get my Oskar Blues at the ABC on East 50 but didn't notice the Pinner. I'll look again because I know they don't have it at either of my Publixes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT