ADVERTISEMENT

DC Travis Williams needs to go away

HartfordWhalersFan

Three-Star Recruit
Sep 21, 2019
I have seen enough. Each week it is a struggle for our defense. Our defensive line and linebackers generate no pass rush and our defensive backfield couldn’t cover my deceased grandmother. I’m happy our Knights are winning games but we let our opponents hang around, in the fourth quarter, too much. In 2023, UCF will be lucky to win two conference games in the Big-12. Running by your opponent and continuing to execute arm tackles has got to stop soon. Gus truly knows he needs to fire Travis Williams however, we fans know he won’t do that.

I have seen enough. Each week it is a struggle for our defense. Our defensive line and linebackers generate no pass rush and our defensive backfield couldn’t cover my deceased grandmother. I’m happy our Knights are winning games but we let our opponents hang around, in the fourth quarter, too much. In 2023, UCF will be lucky to win two conference games in the Big-12. Running by your opponent and continuing to execute arm tackles has got to stop soon. Gus truly knows he needs to fire Travis Williams however, we fans know he won’t do that.
Are you the guy that leaked the play calls to ECU?

Please change the name of this thread title to Williams had a bad game.

Williams is a great all around coach. We are fortunate to have him and will be damn lucky if we keep him his past this season. He did not have his best game but we got the W and that’s what matters
T-Will is a great guy and connects personally with the players. However, it’s 1 of 2 things:
1). The defense has little talent. No pass rush, and our entire LB core or secondary can’t cover anyone. OR
2) bad coaching

it’s obvious to anyone watching. If I was an opposing team, I would NEVER run the ball against us. It’s like watching a team practice routes with no defenders.

Reactions: Yaes
There are several issues that you can’t pin on the DC. First of all, it’s not his fault that the front 4 cannot generate ANY pass rush. That’s a talent issue. To be honest, I think he deserves a lot of credit for the defense being where it is despite the lack of pass rush. I believe that what has happened is that the coaching staff has realized that we aren’t getting anywhere with the 4 man pass rush, so they’ve put in some big guys on the end of the line. Thats one reason the run defense is good, but you can see like yesterday that teams have had success bouncing it outside because of that.

Obviously, as far as the secondary, the biggest issue is that the defenders don’t turn around to look for the ball. This makes them more prone to having penalties called on them. That could be a DC issue if he is part of the coaching of technique, but it is also a position coach issue. I think The DC’s job is to call the right plays and make sure the players are in the right position, which they generally are.

This post is stupid and so are you.

This post needs to be pinned for people to laugh at. TWill has sparked one of the greatest two-year defensive turnarounds in college football with the majority of the same players who ranked toward the bottom of every national category. To quantify the lunacy of this post, Georgia Tech was considering interviewing TWill (only two years experience as a coordinator) for its head coaching vacancy. Also, TWill is the No. 1 defensive coordinator target of the Auburn head-coach-in-waiting.

What TWill has done with UCF's linebacking corps is deserving of a Frank Broyles award nomination. No, the unit is not good. But he has masked its deficiency to the point where it isn't enough of a liability to get UCF beat.

What this season taught me is UCF's secondary was highly overrated and largely untested last season due to opponents CHOOSING to run the ball at will on UCF while not needing to pass. Opponents opting to run the football led to skewed defensive statistics for the back end players. In other words, the secondary was not and is not as good as perceived or advertised.

A direct result of TWill shoring up the run defense this offseason (now 27th nationally) is the pass defense has been exploited. UCF ranks 76th nationally in passing yards allowed and has dipped to 21st in pass deficiency defense.

TWill is doing the best he can.

There are several issues that you can’t pin on the DC. First of all, it’s not his fault that the front 4 cannot generate ANY pass rush. That’s a talent issue. To be honest, I think he deserves a lot of credit for the defense being where it is despite the lack of pass rush. I believe that what has happened is that the coaching staff has realized that we aren’t getting anywhere with the 4 man pass rush, so they’ve put in some big guys on the end of the line. Thats one reason the run defense is good, but you can see like yesterday that teams have had success bouncing it outside because of that.
Totally agree. UCF needed to land a big-time rush end to replace BigCat and whiffed on many targets in the transfer portal.

Obviously, as far as the secondary, the biggest issue is that the defenders don’t turn around to look for the ball. This makes them more prone to having penalties called on them. That could be a DC issue if he is part of the coaching of technique, but it is also a position coach issue. I think The DC’s job is to call the right plays and make sure the players are in the right position, which they generally are.

I think the issue is UCF's defensive backs are so out of phase in coverage that they do not give themselves the opportunity to "turn around to look for the ball." I can assure that it is not technique. Gus hired Addison Williams as a "Special Assistant to the Head Coach" while he was at Auburn because cornerbacks coach Greg Brown (hired by former DC Kevin Steele) was teaching that specific technique of playing the receiver, not the ball, and Gus didn't approve.

Totally agree. UCF needed to land a big-time rush end to replace BigCat and whiffed on many targets in the transfer portal.

I think the issue is UCF's defensive backs are so out of phase in coverage that they do not give themselves the opportunity to "turn around to look for the ball." I can assure that it is not technique. Gus hired Addison Williams as a "Special Assistant to the Head Coach" while he was at Auburn because cornerbacks coach Greg Brown (hired by former DC Kevin Steele) was teaching that specific technique of playing the receiver, not the ball, and Gus didn't approve.
Hopefully walker stays commited because him next to lee hunter will clog the running game. Deejay holmes appears to be leaning ucf who would be a great edge rusher

I agree but it’s more than just turning around to look for the ball. Receivers are wide open, especially when we play zone. No one attacks the ball which is why we have such few turnovers. If they studies game film correctly, they would see common routes and formations.

in terms of T-Will as defensive coordinator, it just doesn’t seem like they watch opponents game film because we are always caught off guard by what the opposing team is doing.

Reactions: Knight59 and Yaes
I dont' know about fireing him but I certainly am concerned about defense.

They also play off way too far and they don't seem to know where the receivers are until it's too late.

People forget this defense was lights out against smu for an entire half. They dropped 77 on houston. I wonder if the defense is a little tired from some tough games
Reminds me of the 2017 team that didn’t have a bye week - fatigue could definitely be a factor right now, but they’re still playing well enough to win.

This post needs to be pinned for people to laugh at. TWill has sparked one of the greatest two-year defensive turnarounds in college football with the majority of the same players who ranked toward the bottom of every national category. To quantify the lunacy of this post, Georgia Tech was considering interviewing TWill (only two years experience as a coordinator) for its head coaching vacancy. Also, TWill is the No. 1 defensive coordinator target of the Auburn head-coach-in-waiting.

What TWill has done with UCF's linebacking corps is deserving of a Frank Broyles award nomination. No, the unit is not good. But he has masked its deficiency to the point where it isn't enough of a liability to get UCF beat.

What this season taught me is UCF's secondary was highly overrated and largely untested last season due to opponents CHOOSING to run the ball at will on UCF while not needing to pass. Opponents opting to run the football led to skewed defensive statistics for the back end players. In other words, the secondary was not and is not as good as perceived or advertised.

A direct result of TWill shoring up the run defense this offseason (now 27th nationally) is the pass defense has been exploited. UCF ranks 76th nationally in passing yards allowed and has dipped to 21st in pass deficiency defense.

TWill is doing the best he can.
Great post. Agreed.

People forget this defense was lights out against smu for an entire half. They dropped 77 on houston. I wonder if the defense is a little tired from some tough games
Good question.

The BIG12 has a lot of successful passing teams. The AAC has a lot of successful running teams. The Defense does a great job in our current conference. If we were to try and make a BIG12 Defense this year, it would not have been successful against Memphis or Cinci. I would argue that we would also do poorly against Navy. Navy will be the biggest test to see how our Run Defense holds up. There could be as many as 1-3 passing attempts the entire game. Next year will be an adjustment. Whether Coach Travis is here, we will need to wait and see. I'm hoping the guy stays as we need consistency in the first 2 years of joining a new conference.

You can def tell our LBs need help cause the middle has been wide open the last few games, TWill doing the best he can but gotta be pulling his hair out over that pass coverage 10 yards from the line in the middle.

T.Will is as solid of an investment as the T-bill!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT