ADVERTISEMENT

Debate: Financial Pain - Putin's to Blame

UCFloridaTech

Bronze Knight
Nov 10, 2009
Charlotte
There is no question that Vladimir Putin is principally responsible for the intense financial pain the American people and their families are bearing.

Who agrees?
Who disagrees?

There is no question that Vladimir Putin is principally responsible for the intense financial pain the American people and their families are bearing.

Who agrees?
Who disagrees?
Agreed. The Ukraine vs Russia war has increased oil prices which has trickled down to EVERYTHING ELSE. It’s a completely unnecessary conflict and our preparation/response to it has been mediocre at best. Additionally, the post-COVID recovery period has compounded the problem.

I'm no financial expert but my gut tells me that giving away a bunch of money to Americans -- no matter how well-intentioned -- along with the Fed being asleep-at-the-wheel have led to this rise in inflation.

There's also no question that world events sure as hell haven't helped the situation either. It was like throwing gasoline on the fire that was already starting to burn.

I was watching The Lion King with my son last night and it came to that part when everything was going great and the pride lands were booming under Mufasa but then Scar stole the throne and turned the pride lands into a wasteland and everyone was poor and miserable. Good thing that can never happen IRL.

Maybe continuing stimulus at full employment, child credits, student debt "forgiveness", and low rates were a bad idea? And now being responsible for millions more illegal aliens too. We are about to sink into a major recession unless we change course quickly. They need a history lesson on how Reagan fixed Carters out of control inflation.

Just maybe having an energy policy would help too?

Reactions: UCFloridaTech
I was watching The Lion King with my son last night and it came to that part when everything was going great and the pride lands were booming under Mufasa but then Scar stole the throne and turned the pride lands into a wasteland and everyone was poor and miserable. Good thing that can never happen IRL.

PRetty over simplistic way to look at it. The effects of decision making arent immediate when it comes to the economy. Inflation was going to happen no matter who was in office right now due to covid, and yes when you add in the war that doesnt make it any better.

Reactions: DaShuckster
Maybe continuing stimulus at full employment, child credits, student debt "forgiveness", and low rates were a bad idea? And now being responsible for millions more illegal aliens too. We are about to sink into a major recession unless we change course quickly. They need a history lesson on how Reagan fixed Carters out of control inflation.

Just maybe having an energy policy would help too?

THere was just as much stimulus under Trump than Biden, and not sure what you mean by an energy policy. There is more oil being pumped under Biden than Trump.

Other than this recession being delayed by 2 years due to stimulus there was little congress or a president was going to do to stop it. We experienced 13 years of uninterrupted growth. 20-30% stock market gains and 0% borrowing rates wasn’t going to be sustainable in perpetuity.

Reactions: UCFBS
Other than this recession being delayed by 2 years due to stimulus there was little congress or a president was going to do to stop it. We experienced 13 years of uninterrupted growth. 20-30% stock market gains and 0% borrowing rates wasn’t going to be sustainable in perpetuity.
I agree with you with one exception ...

The Obama-Biden energy policy screwed our allies even more than ourselves. People really need to stop being stupid, and actually hurting the environment.

We not only need education in fiscal responsibility, but energy economics. The Canadians and Europeans make fun of us, and states like California, for a reason.

PRetty over simplistic way to look at it. The effects of decision making arent immediate when it comes to the economy. Inflation was going to happen no matter who was in office right now due to covid, and yes when you add in the war that doesnt make it any better.
Of course it’s overly simplistic. Also, some actions are felt quickly, such as those where the market prices are driven by speculation. You’re right that inflation was going to happen because of M2 during COVID but it would’ve leveled back to equilibrium as long as there weren’t artificial forces causing it to be worse and for longer. Of course, the administration printed money and then prolonged lockdown rules among a host of other things, including the war. But they only want to blame the war as the reason and that is complete garbage. The war and the post-COVID inflation wouldn’t hurt nearly so bad without the day 1 EOs.

Nope. I disagree. We have flushed the economy with trillions in cash in 18-20 month period. We elected a group of people who absolutely want to destroy the fossil fuel energy sector and we have short supplies from COVID coupled with pent up demand. None of this is Putin's fault or doing. None of it. On day one the President signed executive orders reversing Trunp's energy policies. Within a week we saw energy prices creeping up .

So when you have way too much cash chasing too few goods you get inflation. Then add the real costs impacts of energy going up for everything it's a perfect storm for the economy. I have seen my wholesale costs go up almost 12% since February. Gas prices are sky rocketing . Everything you buy is touched by a diesel power truck which is double in price in 18 months .

You and I pay for that in price increases. It's an inflation spiral between bad monetary policy and energy prices . American agriculture is fossil fuel dependent from fertilizers to diesel tractors . Yet we have a political party think we can just be green without any negative consequences. Last time I checked you can't fertilize crops with lithium ion batteries .

Plants use organic non radioactive organic and inorganic chemicals to grow, principally nitrogen , potassium and phosphorus. Nitrogen is derived from urea and phosphate mining . To the extent we get urea from Russia , which I still think we do, the costs of getting it are directly tied to fossil fuels .

Now you can accept what's going on is bad policy from the federal politicians or you can't , but if you can't and want to blame Putin it doesn't change the facts that both parties did this or lead with massive COVID spending . It's like Jack Sparrow says, you can accept your dad is a good man and a pirate or you can't but it doesn't change any of it ..savvy .

My wife got mad at me for something I did. I said look sweety, it wasn't me , it was Putin . Y'all should try it. 😂.

Is no one coming to Biden's defense on this statement?

"There is no question that Vladimir Putin is principally responsible for the intense financial pain the American people and their families are bearing."
%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F308355a4-cc57-11eb-9bfa-a3bc386e6928.jpg

Do you / does anyone else think "principally" ?
I have no idea what the stats on this are. It's probably a significant thang. And that, combined with the fat orange man printing money not once, but twice, and then the demented man printing money once, and here we are.

I have no idea what the stats on this are. It's probably a significant thang. And that, combined with the fat orange man printing money not once, but twice, and then the demented man printing money once, and here we are.
I’d go with

40% was going to happen anyway
20% covid supply chain disruption
20% cash giveaway (2 from orange man and 1 from dementia man)
10% Biden energy policy
10% Putin

Reactions: KnighttimeJoe
I’d go with

10% Biden energy policy
10% Putin
I think that’s pretty fair. Although, that top 40% is a matter of severity. I don’t think that we’d have seen near the severity of inflation had the other 60% not happened. It would’ve been a speed bump with a correction.

I’d go with

10% Biden energy policy
10% Putin
I wouldn't disagree very much.
30% happen
15% supply chain
25% cash giveaway
20% Biden energy
10% Putin

I think its funny that we are arguing inflation percentages and whether or not the WH was justified in the amount of blame he's putting on Putin's war when the previous POTUS BLATANTLY LIED on a daily basis throughout his tensure.

I think its funny that we are arguing inflation percentages and whether or not the WH was justified in the amount of blame he's putting on Putin's war when the previous POTUS BLATANTLY LIED on a daily basis throughout his tensure.
Maybe, but 90% of the "news" outlets reported on it with their constant "fact checks". Where are those noble truth-seeking 'journalists' now?

That's been my point, news is skewed, both sides... Too many people blindly follow their reporting word for word as gospel like a flock of sheep... Review multiple sources, arrive at your own conclusion, share some logical views, experience, and opinions. Don't regurgitate Maddow / Hannity talking points.

Reactions: major.tom.foolery
That's been my point, news is skewed, both sides... Too many people blindly follow their reporting word for word as gospel like a flock of sheep...
Says the guy ignoring the unfiltered, real news coming out of the hearings and blindly eats the bullsh*t he's being fed like a good little lamb.

• Haha
Says the guy ignoring the unfiltered, real news coming out of the hearings and blindly eats the bullsh*t he's being fed like a good little lamb.
That is no more unfiltered than CNN, MSNBC, FOX, or NEWS MAX. You have a group heading this that wants to show one side of what happened only, picking who speaks and what questions get asked.

That is no more unfiltered than CNN, MSNBC, FOX, or NEWS MAX. You have a group heading this that wants to show one side of what happened only, picking who speaks and what questions get asked.
What is the other side you want to see? The damning evidence has all come from the mouths of republicans. The committee features 2 republicans. I ask again, what is the “other side”?

They are using Trumps own, recorded words, testimony from many people who worked closely to Trump, texts, etc etc. What is it you think we aren't getting?

They are using Trumps own, recorded words, testimony from many people who worked closely to Trump, texts, etc etc. What is it you think we aren't getting?
A sweating Giuliani in front of a landscape company talking about a forthcoming kraken is all that is missing from truly having both sides represented.

A sweating Giuliani in front of a landscape company talking about a forthcoming kraken is all that is missing from truly having both sides represented.
If only we had Rudy farting all over everyone in the room, then maybe we could take this seriously.

If the hearing is televised live and is being covered by CNN, MSNBC, FOX NEWS, NEWSMAX, PBS or anybody else with a TV camera and the questions about January 6th are directed at Republican members of Trump's inner circle, what 'side' is missing?

When former Attorney General Bill Barr is asked, "Did Trump's election fraud claims have merit?" and he answers under oath that it was "all bullsh*t," how much more 'unfiltered' can you get?

If the hearing is televised live and is being covered by CNN, MSNBC, FOX NEWS, NEWSMAX, PBS or anybody else with a TV camera and the questions about January 6th are directed at Republican members of Trump's inner circle, what 'side' is missing?

When former Attorney General Bill Barr is asked, "Did Trump's election fraud claims have merit?" and he answers under oath that it was "all bullsh*t," how much more 'unfiltered' can you get?
I hope they get to the bottom of it.

Bet this magically extends to November.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT