ADVERTISEMENT

DeSantis and Higher Education in FL

How is it "not" organic? If you have a diverse student population, doesn't it make sense to personalize their education around their cultural backgrounds and interests? Or is American higher education supposed to be "devoid of gender and culture?"

You know for a fact applicants were hired simply because of how they checked a box? Sorry, but I find that very hard to believe.

Affirmative action was always about creating a diverse POOL of applicants to choose a candidate from. I hired a hell of a lot of people over the course of my professional life and I never had anyone in Human Resources tell me who to hire, period. When I worked for State agencies, they only wanted to know I made an effort to diversify my applicant pool and what were the credentials of the person I ended up hiring.

Funny thing is, some women and minorities who 'pulled themselves up from poverty' (people like you and me) weren't getting the same breaks. I'm guessing that in our cases, employers saw something DEEP INSIDE US that made us stand out as special. ;) :)

Excuse me, but the supposed 'victims' are DeSantis and his MAGA crowd. Why is it so horrendous that major universities like UF have curriculum and support services geared for women and minorities? Why is SOME curriculum and SOME student services okay while others are not? Remind me who are the ones focused on how people check boxes on gender and race.

I have no doubt you are. And I appreciate that your concern for the welfare of the disabled community comes out of your personal experiences with your son. I'm sure you could talk at length about how disabled people have to deal with scores of ignorant and insensitive A-holes.

My point is there are other well-meaning groups of people behind the DEI banner you find so disgusting who deal with the same types of ignorant and insensitive A-holes. Your Governor's actions help explain why.

I don't live in Florida. My Governor is Roy Cooper.

At the core of our lives we each experience it differently. We each have events and moments that truly shape all of us. Some of us get through these years unscathed and while many trudge through it. I recognize I will never have the experience of being a woman or a minority. I can't. What I can do is treat everyone I come across with respect and dignity. That is exactly what I earnestly try to do. It's called love your neighbor. It's called being kind . It's called stepping in and helping with talents you have where you are and serving others. I genuinely practice this . My life has been shaped deeply by pain, loss and struggle. I am doing my part to make as much lemonade as possible from it. Right now my son Kyle has two menegocoels in his skulls where Grey matter and cerebrospinal fluid are pushing into holes in his sinus cavity. The cranial lining is keeping fluid and his brain from leaking into his sinus. Since Kyle is non verbal we have to wait and see. The neurologist in Asheville and the neurosurgeon in Orlando pretty much say if it leaks CSF then that's when we do surgery . I share this because it's events and stuff like this that shape us. I wake up everyday not knowing what it brings.
Again, I don't pretend to know what others are going through or how others treat them. The difference between you and I suppose Shuck you think you can try to walk in those shoes of others, but I know I can't. I don't insult them by trying . I can have empathy but I don't try to be them.

I suppose I share my story because you can have empathy but until you have truly walked in my shoes you just don't know. I know this and I don't hold against you or anyone else. So, I just treat all people with grace and dignity even those I don't agree with in things like politics . Treat people well .

I am being sincere, if you want to join me In Orlando for a UCF football game, I will take you. I live in North Carolina so it's a road trip for me as well. 😆 I don't talk politics at games . I go to the games to cheer on my Alma matter and see my son.

I recognize I will never have the experience of being a woman or a minority. I can't. What I can do is treat everyone I come across with respect and dignity. That is exactly what I earnestly try to do.
I'm confused, Nauti. On one hand you tell us you despise DEI, a blanket term used to encompass curriculum and student support services for women, minorities and the LGBTQ community. Where is that respect and dignity you are talking about?
I suppose I share my story because you can have empathy but until you have truly walked in my shoes you just don't know.
Something tells me that if the Republicans decided that services for the disabled community 'were too damn expensive' and 'woke,' you'd sing a different tune. You don't have to 'walk in somebody else's shoes' to see its a slap in the face to a group of Americans.
I am being sincere, if you want to join me In Orlando for a UCF football game, I will take you. I live in North Carolina so it's a road trip for me as well. 😆 I don't talk politics at games . I go to the games to cheer on my Alma matter and see my son.
I appreciate the offer, Nauti. Mrs Shuckster and I have family in Florida but we've spent plenty of time in North Carolina over the years. When my family and I lived in Virginia, we loved vacationing in your state.

My daughter lives west of charlotte. We travel to NC 2 or 3 x per year. I love the mountains and the outer banks.

My daughter lives west of charlotte. We travel to NC 2 or 3 x per year. I love the mountains and the outer banks.
The outer banks was our 'go to' vacation spot. There was a place called Tanglewood along the beach in Nags Head that the whole family enjoyed.

A few years back, it was torn down and replaced by a bunch of condos. :(

ADVERTISEMENT