ADVERTISEMENT

DeSantis wants to Big Brother State Universities

Poolside Knight

Todd's Tiki Bar
Apr 2, 2007
assuming this will make it easier for funding threats and make FL Universities less attractive to quality professors who don’t want to be threatened with legal action bc a student tapes their lecture for the Daily Caller . Randy Fine has already screwed UCF enough

assuming this will make it easier for funding threats and make FL Universities less attractive to quality professors who don’t want to be threatened with legal action bc a student tapes their lecture for the Daily Caller . Randy Fine has already screwed UCF enough

The flip side of this is a professor kicking a kid out of class and putting a black mark on their academic record that they can't remove for simply disagreeing with an ideologue. If we're going to lean one way on this, shouldn't it be towards the protection of the student?

Reactions: Knight In TN
Free speech on University campuses has been gone for a long time. If they are trying to make sure all sides are heard and 1/2 not muzzled it is a good thing. If they try to like the left has, to completely shut down one sides ability to speak out than it is a bad thing. And that means Left, Right, and in between should feel free to speak up.

If a student is openly mocked by a professor for their views, would you like them to have no recourse?

If a student is openly mocked by a professor for their views, would you like them to have no recourse?

But what does "mocking" consist of? If a professor disagrees with a students views is that considered "mocking"? If a professor pushes back and challenges the students views is that "mocking"?

Whether you agree or disagree with a professor's viewpoint, I would argue that's part of what a college education is all about. If I was a UCF student, I wouldn't be too keen on the crap being spewed by Professor Charles Negy. Nonetheless, I would defend his right to voice his views in his classroom.

I always thought debates between students (with each other or with their professor) was one of the things that separated college from high school. At some point, students needs to stand up for what they believe in.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
But what does "mocking" consist of? If a professor disagrees with a students views is that considered "mocking"? If a professor pushes back and challenges the students views is that "mocking"?
You know what mocking is, don’t be cute.

Wouldn’t you agree that there’s a difference between teaching and indoctrination?

A healthy learning environment is not one where students are afraid of speaking their mind for fear of sabotaging their own academic success, but that’s exactly what happens across the country in college classes every day.

Whether you agree or disagree with a professor's viewpoint, I would argue that's part of what a college education is all about. If I was a UCF student, I wouldn't be too keen on the crap being spewed by Professor Charles Negy. Nonetheless, I would defend his right to voice his views in his classroom.

I always thought debates between students (with each other or with their professor) was one of the things that separated college from high school. At some point, students needs to stand up for what they believe in.
Of course debate is a part of a healthy learning environment. But debate needs to have a level of respect for it to be beneficial for everyone.

You know what mocking is, don’t be cute.

Wouldn’t you agree that there’s a difference between teaching and indoctrination?

A healthy learning environment is not one where students are afraid of speaking their mind for fear of sabotaging their own academic success, but that’s exactly what happens across the country in college classes every day.

I am not being cute, I am seriously asking. You have to have some sort of criteria to meet these terms. If you don't then why wouldn't every student who did poorly on a paper just complain the professor didn't like their views?

I don't disagree, but I don't think this is nearly as common as you guys think. I mean when were you in college? How would you, or anyone, possibly know what is going on in college campuses around the country everyday? Are there some professors that do that? Probably, but I don't think it is the norm. I think most professors just want you to be capable of supporting your positions, and I think you probably get some students who didn't do well because of their own effort, who like to blame it on their professors.

Absolutely. Indoctrination is the crap I learned about American history from my teachers and the textbooks the school board approved.

Fortunately, I had an amazing professor for my Intro American History classes in college who opened my eyes to what really happened and what didn't. Funny thing, I became much more fascinated by American history once I began learning the truth.

I am not being cute, I am seriously asking. You have to have some sort of criteria to meet these terms. If you don't then why wouldn't every student who did poorly on a paper just complain the professor didn't like their views?

I don't disagree, but I don't think this is nearly as common as you guys think. I mean when were you in college? How would you, or anyone, possibly know what is going on in college campuses around the country everyday? Are there some professors that do that? Probably, but I don't think it is the norm. I think most professors just want you to be capable of supporting your positions, and I think you probably get some students who didn't do well because of their own effort, who like to blame it on their professors.
Professors routinely have protested and even told their students to protest (some offering extra credit) conservative speakers on campus. There’s no shortage of examples of this.

Professors routinely have protested and even told their students to protest (some offering extra credit) conservative speakers on campus. There’s no shortage of examples of this.

So what? That isn't remotely the same thing as punishing a student who has different political views.

Absolutely. Indoctrination is the crap I learned about American history from my teachers and the textbooks the school board approved.

Fortunately, I had an amazing professor for my Intro American History classes in college who opened my eyes to what really happened and what didn't. Funny thing, I became much more fascinated by American history once I began learning the truth.

Yup. Which is about to get even worse since they are trying to white wash American history even more.

You have an example of a professor offering extra credit for a protest based on the target of protest being a conservative? Not only a single one, but apparently “no shortage” of them? I know you truly believe that, which is sad.

As you might expect, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln resides in a very conservative, Red state. There have been speakers over the years from across the political spectrum but its ALWAYS the....(cue sinister music)...EVIL LIBERAL ONES that draw the ire of State Legislators.

I recall a big bruhaha back in the early 2000s when the film Fahrenheit 911 came out when it was discovered that...gasp!...SEEING THAT FILM was a class requirement for some of UNL's political science classes that fall. It didn't matter that these classes also had requirements involving a number of conservative speakers coming to campus, the University shouldn't be allowing THAT RADICAL, Michael Moore, to indoctrinating our sweet, innocent young people.

Some things never change.
:)

Love this ❤
Agreed. Freedom of speech isn't just defined by the left. I cannot stand most of the right's arguments as a Libertarian, but I fear a nation where only the left defines what is 'free.'

I'm 100% behind this. Society today dictates that speech of any kind comes with consequences and nobody should be exempt of that rule. More importantly though, the right needs to start clamping down on hateful leftist rhetoric and indoctrination so this is a step in the right direction. The left can have their free speech, but when it crosses acceptable lines they should probably be imprisoned.

Reactions: UCFBS
I'm 100% behind this. Society today dictates that speech of any kind comes with consequences and nobody should be exempt of that rule.
Post your full name and address here so that you can make sure your dumb racist opinions are tied to you personally and that your "free speech" comes with the appropriate consequences you desire for others. Thx in advance.

Post your full name and address here so that you can make sure your dumb racist opinions are tied to you personally and that your "free speech" comes with the appropriate consequences you desire for others. Thx in advance.
Don't worry, people like yourself have already dox'd thousands of people who weren't even at the Jan 6th rally, or even in DC at all.

But I feel for some of my colleagues who work in DC who were geo-located as 'too close' ... despite them being Trump haters and registered Democratic voters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT