ADVERTISEMENT

DG

Damn...

giphy.gif

Why is “NFL” even being discussed? I’m a fan of DG, but tired of whoever is putting the “NFL” ideas into these young Knights heads.

He is not an NFL QB at this stage. He has a great deep ball, but needs to improve in several areas before contemplating the NFL.

Why is “NFL” even being discussed? I’m a fan of DG, but tired of whoever is putting the “NFL” ideas into these young Knights heads.

He is not an NFL QB at this stage. He has a great deep ball, but needs to improve in several areas before contemplating the NFL.
the deep ball is why , some NFL QBs can’t throw it . so some assume with nfl level coaching he may be a prospect

Reactions: 90Knight

Felipe Franks is in the NFL and he cant throw anything, hes just big
Taylor Heineke was undrafted, small, with not a big arm, he stuck around and is now starting for WFT.

It most definitely can happen, no ones saying hes QB1, or first rounder. but he can have a career in the league especially with his talent

He won’t get drafted if he leaves this year. Injury hurts a lot but his size is the biggest deterrent.

He is averaging only 5 yards on pass attempts so far..we’ll see if he improves today at Wake Forest and going forward but he may not be the same QB
Sadly, and as much as I hate to admit it, you may be right.

He constantly grades out as very good to elite. This is a team sport. He can't go out and play defense.
Error. He does not "constantly" grade out as very good to elite. In games against teams with a winning record he has at times graded very average.

Milton and Mack couldn't play defense either, but they did what needed to be done, even when it meant scoring over 40 or 50 points to get wins against quality opponents.

Lol u seriously are trying to imply Mack is better than DG?

maybe DG should transfer to a loaded roster to shut our fans up …it isn’t just knighlife , half of our Twitter fanbase seems to not like him

Lol u seriously are trying to imply Mack is better than DG?

maybe DG should transfer to a loaded roster to shut our fans up …it isn’t just knighlife , half of our Twitter fanbase seems to not like him
Is there any QB our twitters do like? Come on this is all getting crazy.

Every time I get the slightest bit frustrated with our offense I think back to the O’Leary days and that puts things back in perspective. Offense and QB play is the last of our worries. I’m baffled by how many people want to keep dogging out this group that almost always scores over 30 PPG. You have to stop the other team too and that’s our problem, plain and simple.

Obviously Keene will go to Cincinnati and throw for 500 yards and 5 tds to show how easy it is.
Don't expect him to have that easy a time of it but I won't be surprised if he does well. If his high school film is any indication, I think he is a very talented QB and fun to watch.

Another mark is his 17-8 record as a starter (9-3/6-4/2-1). Good but definitely not excellent. And, barring a miracle, barely winning two out of every three games will not get a conference championship.
Mack isn’t doing great at OD.

Error. He does not "constantly" grade out as very good to elite. In games against teams with a winning record he has at times graded very average.

Milton and Mack couldn't play defense either, but they did what needed to be done, even when it meant scoring over 40 or 50 points to get wins against quality opponents.
This season he has. Even against Louisville.

Don't expect him to have that easy a time of it but I won't be surprised if he does well. If his high school film is any indication, I think he is a very talented QB and fun to watch.

Cinci will be particularly difficult, as they usually do their best to confuse the hell out of QBs with exotic looks on defense. I expect him to struggle in that game, but he should have some good games against the lesser opponents.

The Milton fairy tale is nice, but in reality he fell on the right side of lucky bounces many times. Memphis couldn’t make a field goal late. Milton did nothing vs Auburn first half but defense kept us in. Vs the cows they went on a 27-7 run midway in the game and missed a wide open Wilcox for a TD that would have put them up 2 scores. During the 9 drive drought Milton threw 2 picks and 2 incompletions on 4th down for turnover on downs. Mike Hughes was the hero.

Gabriel is really good and most of last year's losses came down to the defense not being able to get a stop when they needed one. I think most P5 schools would welcome him as a transfer today.

His stats are comparable to Milton's although his TD to INT ratio is much better than Milton's. Gabriel would've passed him in every statistical category by mid-season at the latest.

The difference, IMO, is the supporting cast. Milton was surrounded by playmakers on offense *and* defense *and* special teams. Adrian Killins, Otis Anderson, Tre'Quan Smith, Mike Hughes, Shaquem Griffin, Trysten Hill, Titus Davis, Nevelle Clarke. DG had a talented receiving corps in 2019 and 2020 and the offense was statistically unbelievable, but last year's defense was one of the worst in the country. This year's looks marginally better.

This isn't to say KZ wasn't a gamer. That dude obviously has the it factor as much as any QB we've seen at UCF. I'm just saying if you gave DG O'Leary's defense the W-L record would be different.

The Milton fairy tale is nice, but in reality he fell on the right side of lucky bounces many times. Memphis couldn’t make a field goal late. Milton did nothing vs Auburn first half but defense kept us in. Vs the cows they went on a 27-7 run midway in the game and missed a wide open Wilcox for a TD that would have put them up 2 scores. During the 9 drive drought Milton threw 2 picks and 2 incompletions on 4th down for turnover on downs. Mike Hughes was the hero.
This is some revisionist history if I've ever seen it.

In the biggest 3 game stretch in UCF history. (USF, Memphis Auburn) Milton went 73-119, threw for 1,109 yards (370 per game) Had 11 TD passes and 4 interceptions and oh by the way, also ran for 230 yards in those 3 games and added 3 more TDs on the ground. Yeah he accounted for 14 TDs in 3 games. That's a lot of lucky bounces. His defense gave up 124 points (41.3 per game) in those 3 games, and managed to win them all. What a lucky guy, right place right time.

That being said, arguing that Gabriel is not a winner, and somehow Mack is, is even more absurd. Gabriel put up 35 points against Louisville despite losing his top running back and receiver. What he was working with against Louisville as far as playmakers isn't even in the same ball park as what Milton had in 2017-2018, plus a significantly worse defense than we had in 2017-2018.

Last edited:
This is some revisionist history if I've ever seen it.

In the biggest 3 game stretch in UCF history. (USF, Memphis Auburn) Milton went 73-119, threw for 1,109 yards (370 per game) Had 11 TD passes and 4 interceptions and oh by the way, also ran for 230 yards in those 3 games and added 3 more TDs on the ground. Yeah he accounted for 14 TDs in 3 games. That's a lot of lucky bounces. His defense gave up 124 points (41.3 per game) in those 3 games, and managed to win them all. What a lucky guy, right place right time.
What did I say that was untrue? Not a thing. DG…in case you weren’t aware…also put up video game counting stats. He had no support from defense or special teams.

Every time I get the slightest bit frustrated with our offense I think back to the O’Leary days and that puts things back in perspective. Offense and QB play is the last of our worries. I’m baffled by how many people want to keep dogging out this group that almost always scores over 30 PPG. You have to stop the other team too and that’s our problem, plain and simple.
I remember when we beat Georgia with a measly 10 points. Now 35 isn't good enough and people want to blame the offense for not scoring more! 🤯

Question for the group, two outcomes with Keene.

Keene runs the table, do you bring Gabriel in to finish the season and play in Conference Championship?

Keene loses to Cincinnati, SMU, (maybe more), do you bring in Gabriel to finish the season and play in Bad Boy Mowers bowl or tell him to redshirt?

Question for the group, two outcomes with Keene.

Keene runs the table, do you bring Gabriel in to finish the season and play in Conference Championship?

Keene loses to Cincinnati, SMU, (maybe more), do you bring in Gabriel to finish the season and play in Bad Boy Mowers bowl or tell him to redshirt?
I think Gus will play the one which gives us the best chance to win.

That being said, arguing that Gabriel is not a winner, and somehow Mack is, is even more absurd. Gabriel put up 35 points against Louisville despite losing his top running back and receiver. What he was working with against Louisville as far as playmakers isn't even in the same ball park as what Milton had in 2017-2018, plus a significantly worse defense than we had in 2017-2018.
A winner wins. We lost vs. Louisville.

I don’t think DG will be ready for CC. Probably Bowl Game at earliest. At this point I think you give him the redshirt. He could still play in 1 more game and keep it.

Is there any QB our twitters do like? Come on this is all getting crazy.
Yeah. Usually it’s someone not playing that is “going to be the next big thing”. We’re no different than every other fanbase in that regard.

To me, it looked like Dillon is a better QB this year. He’s running a new system and the supporting cast, especially at the WR/RB position are not as talented or as deep (as a unit)….yet. There’s going to be a learning curve. He looks 100% better when choosing to run, and it looks natural. Last year he looked scared any time he ran (not confident).

Not every QB is a top 5 college QB like Milton was. He and Bortles were special. Every QB is not going to be what they were. It doesn’t mean they are bad QBs. I mean, we had seasons in the 2000’s where we barely had a QB at all. You just have to hope the kids keep trying to get better because maybe they just will someday.

Look at Clemson. I bet their message boards are blowing up already with people wanting to move on from the new QB. In his case, you just have to see if he starts to grow into the position.

Fans are rarely happy or have realistic expectations. I have no further expectations for this season. We’re rolling out a true freshman and that could be ugly at times. I’m thinking 5-4 is my expectation. The team, if back at full health, can certainly exceed that.

Reactions: lawknight
I don’t think DG will be ready for CC. Probably Bowl Game at earliest. At this point I think you give him the redshirt. He could still play in 1 more game and keep it.
So you're telling me, if DG redshirts, we could literally still have him for 3 more seasons after the end of this season. '22, '23, and '24.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT