ADVERTISEMENT

Did the refs and score table seem unfair today against UMASS?

Knight_Classes_begin_7pm

Golden Knight
Oct 6, 2013
I watched the game and it seemed like refs were calling everything against UCF or Non-calls.

Then the whole this with BJ's foul count.

ALSO, I really didn't understand the "put 2 tenths of a second back on the clock" before Umass' last possession.

The clock showed 0.6...so why did they add 2 tenths? :-/

Thoughts, comments?

Reactions: UCFhonors
I watched the game and it seemed like refs were calling everything against UCF or Non-calls.

Then the whole this with BJ's foul count.

ALSO, I really didn't understand the "put 2 tenths of a second back on the clock" before Umass' last possession.

The clock showed 0.6...so why did they add 2 tenths? :-/

Thoughts, comments?

We didn't handle the press well, but man they were letting a lot of contact go. Yes it seemed one sided and I'm usually pretty fair in my assessments. A good example is rewatching the last play of the game. The Umass guy totally pushed Tacko out of the way or he makes that last rebound of the game instead of Nick. It worked out for us getting completely hosed on that call.

You don't think about basketball. It will always be unfair because organized basketball is a fundamentally flawed sport. The foul call is a game destroyer. It can take out a teams best player and provide the other team with 15+ points all based on the refs perception or view point. It's unwatchable.

It is what it is. Players are instructed to let their coach work the refs, wipe it from your memory and move on to the next play. Tack was indeed being shoved pretty consistently and only went to the line 3 times, once intentionally away from the ball by their coach's instructions (and that worked out well for us).

We didn't handle the press well, but man they were letting a lot of contact go. Yes it seemed one sided and I'm usually pretty fair in my assessments. A good example is rewatching the last play of the game. The Umass guy totally pushed Tacko out of the way or he makes that last rebound of the game instead of Nick. It worked out for us getting completely hosed on that call.
KT I agree. That tackle of Tacko should have been a flagrant (for trying to hack a shaq on a guy just standing there)

I loved how they interviewed the UMass coach at center court at both halftime and after the game! So weird. Even he kept complaining how his squad was fouling far too much (before complaining about a couple fouls).

Possibly...but look what Nick does....his left foot is the pivot foot...he gets some contact (could have been a foul) but he clearly moves his pivot foot (i.e. traveling) prior to the shot.

Refs in this case decided to let the players determine that outcome of that play vs the whistle...and that's ok.

It is difficult to referee a basketball game. Even harder to do it while watching it online. I've learned just to yell at the computer screen and then move on when I think there is a bad or missed call. LOL. Go Knights!

On the subject of fouls, here's the flip side:
One important success area in the Dawkins coaching transformation: FEW FOULS this year!
UCF is among the national leaders in fewest fouls.
Tacko's are way down over last season. He was always in foul trouble last season.
Guess how many fouling machine Tank had against UMass? ZERO
Matt hardly ever fouls any more.
That's why Johnny's been able to keep his handful of players on the court and in position to win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT