ADVERTISEMENT

Did we cancel a game against Gators in ‘07?

Yes, but I don’t remember why. UF waxed us in ‘06. This is irrelevant now but Gators are trying to use this to rationalize not wanting to give us a home and home.
Yeah. Gator fans are saying a 2for 1 is a good deal for us.

Gator fan telling me we did.

The below explains it pretty well from this Orlando Sentinel article.

“The Gators and the Knights last played in 2006. UF won 42-0 in Gainesville en route to winning a national championship.

The schools were scheduled to play again in 2007, but the Knights were released from their obligation, according to a document obtained through a public-records request.

Instead of playing at UF on Sept. 1, UCF played a road game against NC State on Sept. 1 before opening its new on-campus stadium with a game against Texas.

The document stated the schools instead would schedule a game at some point during the 2012-15 seasons. Handwritten notes on the document dated 2012 stated UCF associate athletics director David Hansen indicated the Knights preferred to pay UF $100,000 in lieu of scheduling a game at the Swamp.

The first schedule change was made during former athletics director Keith Tribble's tenure. The hand-written note coincided with the tenure of former athletics director Todd Stansbury.”

The below explains it pretty well from this Orlando Sentinel article.

“The Gators and the Knights last played in 2006. UF won 42-0 in Gainesville en route to winning a national championship.

The schools were scheduled to play again in 2007, but the Knights were released from their obligation, according to a document obtained through a public-records request.

Instead of playing at UF on Sept. 1, UCF played a road game against NC State on Sept. 1 before opening its new on-campus stadium with a game against Texas.

The document stated the schools instead would schedule a game at some point during the 2012-15 seasons. Handwritten notes on the document dated 2012 stated UCF associate athletics director David Hansen indicated the Knights preferred to pay UF $100,000 in lieu of scheduling a game at the Swamp.

The first schedule change was made during former athletics director Keith Tribble's tenure. The hand-written note coincided with the tenure of former athletics director Todd Stansbury.”
Question is why didn’t we play them instead of North Carolina State? Why did we cancel 2012? We were decent that year

Yeah. Gator fans are saying a 2for 1 is a good deal for us.

It wouldn’t be for a myriad of reasons including lost revenue (~2M each for the lost home games), competitive disadvantage of only getting them at Spectrum once and perpetuating the P5 to G5 superiority complex...despite us out ranking UF the past two seasons.

It wouldn’t be for a myriad of reasons including lost revenue (~2M each for the lost home games), competitive disadvantage of only getting them at Spectrum once and perpetuating the P5 to G5 superiority complex...despite us out ranking UF the past two seasons.
It’s that or nothing. Time for DW to keep making phone calls, but he may not even get as far with some other top P5 schools

Not sure of the purpose of a 1and 1 and neutral site game. Maybe someone can explain that. Would a neutral site game make more than a home game for either school?

Question is why didn’t we play them instead of North Carolina State? Why did we cancel 2012? We were decent that year

That’s tough to say...different athletic leadership across the board back then. At the time of the original request, we had just gotten permission to move it further into the future so that we could schedule Texas at home to open our OCS in 2007.

Then, with yet another athletic leadership administration in place we bought out of the arrangement, possibly due to the lost revenue of another away game (as mentioned in my earlier post).

Hindsight is 20/20 though. We likely didn’t know how good we were going to be in 2012 and as we all know, scheduling is far more art and luck than science, despite what the P5 and CFI Committee talking heads say.

Reactions: Mikesi
We were decent that year, but young. I think that was the first full time year for Bortles. The cancellation could have been for a lot of reasons: scheduling conflict, no desire to play surrounded by swamp trash, nobody likes that airboat gas smell, Gainesville is like a fan fiction set of The Florida Project, if anybody wanted to see a man's balls hanging out of his jean shorts they could just Google it, or whatever.

The real answer is that it probably wasn't financially beneficial to play them in Gainesville and we opted out.

scheduling is far more art and luck than science, despite what the P5 and CFI Committee talking heads say.
Exactly. Just imagine if Stanford won the PAC 12 this year. Or if Pittsburgh beat Clemson and won their bowl game.

Additionally, if both teams remained good throughout 2019.

We would have a nice schedule in 2019

However, the pressure is too great. We are going to lose 1-2 at some point. It will be so amusing to watch us get slammed after winning say 29 out of 30.

Please correct me if wrong, but UCF canceling a game is about as important to the current AD at universities as is what they had for breakfast on May 3, 1983. What I mean is, this happens quite a bit and would hardly be a reason for a current AD to hold it against another school. Is it right to say only fans care about this? The 2-1 is more about arrogance of a P5 and not pettiness?

Reactions: MercedesKnight
Perhaps the bigger question should be, why do the ADs at Carolina schools have bigger balls than UF's AD. They don't hide when ECU comes calling for games.

Reactions: MckenzieMilton10
It’s that or nothing. Time for DW to keep making phone calls, but he may not even get as far with some other top P5 schools

Not sure of the purpose of a 1and 1 and neutral site game. Maybe someone can explain that. Would a neutral site game make more than a home game for either school?

Maybe for us, depending on the venue and attendance. Doubtful for them as BHG Stadium seats almost 92k, but still probably better than what they'd make from the away game.

Not only would a 2-1 be a slap in the face, you can bet the home game would be demanded at the Citrus Bowl. The guy has been caught in a lie about blocking UCF out of the Peach Bowl.

Reactions: LemmyKilmister

I’m guessing the schools would split the money in a neutral site game. So would be better than having 2 away games. Especially if the neutral site is our old home stadium.

Maybe for us, depending on the venue and attendance. Doubtful for them as BHG Stadium seats almost 92k, but still probably better than what they'd make from the away game.
I’m guessing the schools would split the money in a neutral site game. So would be better than having 2 away games. Especially if the neutral site is our old home stadium.
So then Danny White is essentially proposing a 1 and 1 1/2 or a 1 for 2, correct?? If I’m reading that correctly.

1 home game. 1 away game and a neutral site game that UF most likely loses money from a lost home game. The most likely place would be Camping World Stadium. That’s almost like a home game for UCF.

Both teams lose money because of a lost home game, but they lose more.

So then Danny White is essentially proposing a 1 and 1 1/2 or a 1 for 2, correct?? If I’m reading that correctly.

1 home game. 1 away game and a neutral site game that UF most likely loses money from a lost home game. The most likely place would be Camping World Stadium. That’s almost like a home game for UCF.

Both teams lose money because of a lost home game, but they lose more.

Bet it wouldn't be at Camping World Stadium. I bet UF would want the Gator Bowl or Ray Jay.

I think it is bc ESPN set up the Texas game to open our stadium. Schedule had to shuffle around bc of available dates.

Planned to push out and play the game but it never got rescheduled. My guess is with a low buyout of $100k it made more sense (and money) to play a home game or some other road a game with better contract conditions.

Remember our attendance has been ahead of projections from day 1.

Last edited:
We flew a national champ banner over a neutral Bama game! They havent signed a contract with us yet!
Anything short of blindsiding Saban with a chair at a restaurant wont work.

How about one of those bluebloods that are good pay us $10-15 million for a game on their field?

Gator fan telling me we did.
Yes, we agreed to a 2-away game series, 2006 and 2007. It was stupid. Why we did away-only, I don't know.

We didn't have the program built back then. Understand we got very lucky in 2005, and 2006 we bombed. I didn't see us winning 2007 at the Swamp either that year.

O'Leary was always against away-only P5 games. Frost was more of the same. He didn't like going to Michigan.

Last edited:
Exactly. Just imagine if Stanford won the PAC 12 this year. Or if Pittsburgh beat Clemson and won their bowl game.

Additionally, if both teams remained good throughout 2019.

We would have a nice schedule in 2019

However, the pressure is too great. We are going to lose 1-2 at some point. It will be so amusing to watch us get slammed after winning say 29 out of 30.

This is blasphemy. You take it back now. We’re never losing again!

Who cares whether we canceled a game 11 years ago? Do UF people really think that affects anything right now?

Is "you canceled a game in 07" really a comeback for the fact that UF won't play us on equitable terms?

Who cares whether we canceled a game 11 years ago? Do UF people really think that affects anything right now?

Is "you canceled a game in 07" really a comeback for the fact that UF won't play us on equitable terms?
Yes they say we owe them for that game.

They just jelly we’re better than them and getting all the press. Trying to look down on us. They’re trying way to hard though, it’s see through. Cute little Florida. Go away back to irrelevance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT