ADVERTISEMENT

Diminishing Bowl Game Possibilities

Ready to play in the Pepperidge Farm Whole Grain Baked Goldfish Bowl Bonanza!

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Ok.. so which bowls are late Friday or on the weekend? Cute bowl. Any other?

Fri Dec 20 - The North Dallas Smoothie Frisco Bowl (SMU)
Sat Dec 21 - Orlando Cure (UCF) and Boca (Temple) Bowls
Mon Dec 23 at 220pm - Pirate Ship Gasparilla bowl (Tulane)
Tue Dec 24 - Hawaii (None if AAC gets Cotton)
Fri Dec 27 - Navy home field Military bowl(Navy)
Sat Dec 28 - Cotton (AAC CCG winner Memphis)
Thu Jan 2 at 3pm - Birmingham bowl (AAC CCG loser Cincy)

There are other bowls that may open up but the better AAC teams this year would get them.

e.t.a. - Wtf is up with the Monday and Thursday afternoon bowl times? Added my guesses as to who goes where.

Last edited:
e.t.a. - Wtf is up with the Monday and Thursday afternoon bowl times?
Exactly!

Military bowl is nice, because it’s in the DC area. Holiday/military feel

Boca Bowl is in south Florida on a weekend

Cure bowl is local and on a weekend. Crap bowl though

those have to be the top 3, right?

Hawaii would be cool for this season. Let's do that. They'd probably sell a lot of tickets to locals with the connection. Pull some strings DW.

If AAC gets Cotton, the only way we fill all bowl slots is if usf somehow beats 1 of Cincy/Memphis/UCF. Hawaii is only an option tie in for AAC so likely first to be dropped.

e.t.a. If Hawaii gets 1 more win (San Jose St and UNLV best bets) and BYU gets 2 more wins (FCS & UMass are easy wins) they play each other in Hawaii. The AAC gets a spot if one of them fails.

Last edited:
Even before this game our bowl was in the toilet. Nothing changed
Stewart Mandel (The Athletic) has been "advocating"("/giving us benefit of the doubt") for UCF all year. In recent weeks he has *projected* (not just "discussed the possibility") UCF would fill an unfilled slot from SEC or ACC, as it looks like SEC and ACC will not have enough bowl-eligible teams to fill their contracted bowl slots. Mandel points to our quality team and how well we travel.

Losing to a 2-7 team probably cooks that goose.

Exactly!

Military bowl is nice, because it’s in the DC area. Holiday/military feel

Boca Bowl is in south Florida on a weekend

Cure bowl is local and on a weekend. Crap bowl though

those have to be the top 3, right?
Flying to Dallas on the Friday before Christmas would be pretty expensive for a game in a high school stadium vs. "at large" and isn't a very attractive option for Florida based UCF fans. I agree with your list.

Stewart Mandel (The Athletic) has been "advocating"("/giving us benefit of the doubt") for UCF all year. In recent weeks he has *projected* (not just "discussed the possibility") UCF would fill an unfilled slot from SEC or ACC, as it looks like SEC and ACC will not have enough bowl-eligible teams to fill their contracted bowl slots. Mandel points to our quality team and how well we travel.

Amen. That goose is probably stuffed with crow dressing.

My guess is if UCF goes 2-0 the rest of the way: Hawaii

1-1 or 0-2: Gasparilla
I hope you are right about the 2-0. I don't see any hope for a great bowl game but I can remember when we use to be happy if we had a winning season and played in any bowl. Boy, hope we don't go back to those days.

Hope so.

Since FSU beat BC today and has Alabama State next week, it looks like FSU will be 6-6 and Bowl Eligible.

Are any of the AAC bowls tied to ACC opponents? If so, UCF vs FSU would be an interesting game. I would favor UCF if not for Heupel's crappy play-calling, but FSU is notorious for gift-wrapping games to opponents.Game could either set the tone or do damage to whomever the next FSU coach is.

Honestly, I’m excited about any bowl. Who wants the season to end in November?

Also, you get more practices

Reactions: B R Knightz2
Honestly, I’m excited about any bowl. Who wants the season to end in November?

Also, you get more practices
Unless you’re in the CFI or a NY6 Bowl game, the practices are the most important aspect of the Bowl Season. One thing I’ve often scratched my head at with the NCAA is why they don’t allow teams that don’t play in bowl games to practice. Isn’t that the most important thing you want bad teams to do....practice? So you let “good” teams practice more than “bad” teams. Seems counterintuitive for the sport.

Unless you’re in the CFI or a NY6 Bowl game, the practices are the most important aspect of the Bowl Season. One thing I’ve often scratched my head at with the NCAA is why they don’t allow teams that don’t play in bowl games to practice. Isn’t that the most important thing you want bad teams to do....practice? So you let “good” teams practice more than “bad” teams. Seems counterintuitive for the sport.
If you're going to "reward" teams with extra practices, shouldn't achieving a targeted APR be the factor, not whether or not you win 5+ games? The limits on practice are supposed to be to allow study time for student athletes.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Decline the bowl. It doesnt meet our expectations and the kids dont deserve it for playing with no effort. The message sent will have greater impact than the extra scrimmage played in front of 30 people at the Birmingham Blumpkin Bowl

Decline the bowl. It doesnt meet our expectations and the kids dont deserve it for playing with no effort. The message sent will have greater impact than the extra scrimmage played in front of 30 people at the Birmingham Blumpkin Bowl

Naw. Get the kids the experience. Come out with a passion to crush whatever mediocre team they put in front of us. We need to set the standard that even in down years we can get to 10 wins. Set that as the floor of this program.

Reactions: mattropolis
I want Boca Bowl. Close to me so I can make game. Still will probably get a hotel because of drinking and Uber both ways will be about the same.

Ha! We aren’t making that bowl

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT