ADVERTISEMENT

DNA testing

Crazyhole

Todd's Tiki Bar
Jun 4, 2004
Anybody else have a DNA test done to find out how your genetics respond to pharmaceuticals? I did it a couple of weeks ago and it's pretty crazy.

8 pages worth of material, mostly boring but a few things are really interesting:

My brain doesnt respond to opioids, which explains why painkillers havent ever worked on me. (Vicodin for kidney stones, percocet for broken ribs). Alcohol doesnt absorb into my brain either, which would explain my unusually high tolerance. Nutrients from food are blocked as well so I guess I have to take something for that. Drugs like Prozac are blocked too. No increased risks of alzheimers, dementia, parkinsons.

The thing only cost 350 bucks for tons of info. Pretty good tool to have in the future.

I'd love to do it ... but it can and has been used against people in a court of law.

And also for them.
Yes, but in those cases, it's taken to prove innocence in a criminal trial where they are already charged, or even convicted.

I'm talking about the case where my 13 markers come up, along with hundreds of others in every city, but I'm the one who traveled to all 3 of the cities, just by chance. Pretty weak when there are people who have never, ever been tested at all.

No thanx. DNA tests are not exacting for a privacy reason, which is why they should only ever be used to disprove a match, never to find one blindly. I don't think people realize this. DNA is purposely not exacting.

Just this week: Genealogy website helps track down rapist and murderer of 12 yr old girl after 32 yrs.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/dna-napkin-led-arrest-cold-case-1986-rape/story?id=56139536
Sorry, but I question any DNA evidence matched blindly. It's not for finding people, but eliminating people. It's only good when there is other evidence, and then to prove it's them in 1 out of a few hundred. That's the problem with DNA, it is purposely not exactly.

We'll see how much evidence is on this guy. But DNA alone is not sufficient. Ask any lawyer and they'll tell you how many juries believe it is because of the 'CSI effect.'

Well I'm just glad that if someone ever commits a crime and the government tries to implicate me I can provide my DNA evidence as a defense. Beyond that, its a helpful tool for future treatment that I may need.

Well I'm just glad that if someone ever commits a crime and the government tries to implicate me I can provide my DNA evidence as a defense. Beyond that, its a helpful tool for future treatment that I may need.
While it can correctly defend you, it can incorrectly match you too.

The way we test DNA is not as exacting as fingerprints.
And juries don't understand this fact either.

My wife did one of those geneology things, and her mother did it too. They came back with completely different results. How the hell does that happen?

My parents both did them and our last names are German as far as the eyes can see... very little German in us. How the hell am I supposed to believe I am of pure blood now that I know this?

not a good idea for barrister to take one of these dna test kits. there are probably several dozen kids out there that dont know who their father is, and this might end up in child support payments for him.

Reactions: barrister1602
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT