ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone think that games against North Carolina away and Pittsburgh at home are likely wins?

Mikesi

Diamond Knight
Oct 17, 2013
North Carolina played some good teams tough in 2017 and apparently had some key injuries

They had the 23rd ranked recruiting class in 2018 with some very highly touted players from Florida and offensive linemen from Central Florida. Year after year, they have a 30 something or better recruiting class. Often in the 20’s

Pittsburgh doesn’t recruit as well (30s and 40s), but they have good line play and have upset Miami and Clemson in recent years

The ACC has talented players and teams, and even though these 2 aren’t elite ACC teams, I’m expecting very tough games.

Of course if we win them they don’t mean anything and if we lose them than everyone will say that we suck.

North Carolina played some good teams tough in 2017 and apparently had some key injuries

They had the 23rd ranked recruiting class in 2018 with some very highly touted players from Florida and offensive linemen from Central Florida. Year after year, they have a 30 something or better recruiting class. Often in the 20’s

Pittsburgh doesn’t recruit as well (30s and 40s), but they have good line play and have upset Miami and Clemson in recent years

The ACC has talented players and teams, and even though these 2 aren’t elite ACC teams, I’m expecting very tough games.

Of course if we win them they don’t mean anything and if we lose them than everyone will say that we suck.
I think right now most of our games are likely wins. Pitt being the easier game with the home crowd.

No. They are from a P5 conference. They have special powers and only other P5 teams can beat them. Any G5 school must either conjure up magic and/or special super-human abilities can beat them.

Any G5 school must either conjure up magic and/or special super-human abilities can beat them.
Ok great. Since we possess those powers, I’ll have to assume that we should be pencilling them in as 2 Ws

UCF should be expecting wins. However I think there are some very serious gaps that need to be filled on defense in particular. I don't think anyone can downplay how great a cover man Mike Hughes was. That guy shut down so many great receivers and made so many great plays last year. I don't see anyone stepping up to his level. Also some big time leaders left. It will all depend upon what kind of leadership and chemistry this new coaching staff brings in. I will say it again. I think last year was less about Frost and more about the team leadership and team chemistry.

Any team can win on Saturday. We have a new coach with teams who will be gunning for us. UCONN will be practicing to beat us all spring and summer. It’s like what Boise does - one game to practice for all year and the football season they are prepping to play for their bowl game. It’s only 2 Games as their conference and other OOC games aren’t as tough.

Reactions: Mikesi
Ever wonder how a school often gets a top 30 recruiting class and is rarely a top 30 or top 25 team? I will say this. If we struggle against UConn and we don't blow the doors off SC State, then those two games become ones we lose too. However, if UConn ad SC State are over by the half or the third quarter,well we likely roll like last year.

Different question...does anyone really think this offense will take a step back? Sure, the offensive terminology will be different, but overall, it won't be that different schematically.

Different question...does anyone really think this offense will take a step back? Sure, the offensive terminology will be different, but overall, it won't be that different schematically.
It should be better honestly. It’s the defense that worries me. We will have a better DC, but not necessarily better personnel

We're not facing the same prolific offenses we did last year either. USF and Memphis won't be better. FAU and Navy may be the best offenses we see all regular season. And you don't shut down Navy with better athletes. You shut them down with better coaching.

With the talent we have, this offense could put up 35 a game with KZ going schoolyard calling his own plays!

:cool2:

Reactions: Wings0fred
It should be better honestly.

Why should the offense be better? Is there something about Josh's scheme that is better suited to the players than what Frost ran? Or is it just that your players are a year older/better/stronger/faster? I watched a bit of Missouri last year, but not enough to really grasp Josh's offense.

Why should the offense be better? Is there something about Josh's scheme that is better suited to the players than what Frost ran? Or is it just that your players are a year older/better/stronger/faster? I watched a bit of Missouri last year, but not enough to really grasp Josh's offense.

Perhaps it will be better, perhaps put up more points........potential contributing factors for improvements

1) Maturity of key skill players - older, better, faster
2) CJH might be a better QB coach
3) O line coach Elarbee might be an upgrade
4) CJH might actually go faster than CSF (could be a challenge on our D)
5) Clown car full of UCFast skill players getting more opportunities
6) Improved 3rd and short play calling
7) Scheme was numero uno in the SEC

Perhaps it will be better, perhaps put up more points........potential contributing factors for improvements

1) Maturity of key skill players - older, better, faster
2) CJH might be a better QB coach
3) O line coach Elarbee might be an upgrade
4) CJH might actually go faster than CSF (could be a challenge on our D)
5) Clown car full of UCFast skill players getting more opportunities
6) Improved 3rd and short play calling
7) Scheme was numero uno in the SEC

Number 1 is definitely a plus! Did you lose any o linemen that will be missed? From what little I recall about Huepel's offense, it was very different than Frost's. It was more traditional, but much more vertical in the passing game. I know they beat the hell out of us. But then again, that's not saying much.

It seems like most of their runs were between the tackles, but with the rb having the option to bounce outside. Also, very few wide receiver screens. A bunch of down field passing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight_Fyre
Ever wonder how a school often gets a top 30 recruiting class and is rarely a top 30 or top 25 team? I will say this. If we struggle against UConn and we don't blow the doors off SC State, then those two games become ones we lose too. However, if UConn ad SC State are over by the half or the third quarter,well we likely roll like last year.
fwiw Furman scored alot of points against us before the half. We just had a 30 point lead.

Defense gave up a lot of points last year (no shaq this year). I think many games will be close. Also, this year's schedule is tough no matter what anyone says. Last year was special and we may not repeat it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT