ADVERTISEMENT

Does Gabriel Davis still leave after this season?

ThesePeopleDontGiveaSh_t

Bronze Knight
Gold Member
Jul 5, 2019
He hasn't really been killing it this season and he won't get a ton of looks in our bowl game. Does he stay and try to improve his draft stock next year?

Gabe had a ball hit his hands in the EZ on that drive we had to settle for a FG in the 2nd half. He catches that, we win the game most likely. Same happened in Cincy. He's been great overall, though. Just pointing out that if he converts two catches that hit his hands in the EZ at Cincy and at Tulsa we're looking a lot better right now.

Hes been getting double teamed now ever since teams figured out that we only have 5 plays in the playbook

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Richie Grant has amazingly went from a 1st-2nd rounder to a 7th round/free agent. He would be wise to stay for his Senior year.
I know for a fact that he’s missed or whiffed horribly on a few tackles that cost us a lot of yards

Reactions: HammerB08
I know for a fact that he’s missed or whiffed horribly on a few tackles that cost us a lot of yards

Did he read too many mock draft rankings or something? Hopefully this is a wake up call and he comes back with a ton of motivation for 2020.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Did he read too many mock draft rankings or something? Hopefully this is a wake up call and he comes back with a ton of motivation for 2020.
Exactly. Thats been the theme this year vs the past two. Players reading their press clippings and not putting in the work. I personally enjoyed it more when the committee kept under-rating us week in and week out because we always had the chip on our shoulder. That chip has been gone this season

Yes

He is not going to risk injury staying at UCF for another year. He’ll get taken in the first 4 Rounds

We should have Bam and Grant back next year. We have had better DBs than Grant that haven’t been drafted

As far as Gabe, his stock has dropped a little lately IMO. He’s not as good as Anthony Miller from Memphis and probably Trequan Smith

What I’ve noticed about him is that he has trouble making contested catches. Many times this season, if a defender gets their hands on his hands, it’s a win for the defender. That’s his one flaw, but it’s a big one for NFL purposes. Otherwise, he’s got the size/speed and uncontested ball skills going for him.

What I’ve noticed about him is that he has trouble making contested catches. Many times this season, if a defender gets their hands on his hands, it’s a win for the defender. That’s his one flaw, but it’s a big one for NFL purposes. Otherwise, he’s got the size/speed and uncontested ball skills going for him.
He doesn’t fight for ball. He won’t be great or even good in NFL if he doesn’t correct that.

I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves. He has enough stats to show NFL scouts. At times, I think they went to him too much. It was great when it was Stanford, but we have other players to feed.
That said, if he spent as much time in the film room watching other teams like Stanford maybe we're undefeated?

I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves. He has enough stats to show NFL scouts. At times, I think they went to him too much. It was great when it was Stanford, but we have other players to feed.
That said, if he spent as much time in the film room watching other teams like Stanford maybe we're undefeated?
Scouts glance at stats. Not much more. They watch film. Stats only tell part of the story. Spoon feeding him will not get him drafted high. Not fighting for ball will not get him drafted high. He needs to run good routes and fight for ball.

Scouts glance at stats. Not much more. They watch film. Stats only tell part of the story. Spoon feeding him will not get him drafted high. Not fighting for ball will not get him drafted high. He needs to run good routes and fight for ball.
Lol you take my words too literal.

I do think scouts like some productivity. ECU receivers and Anthony Miller were very productive. How many guys get drafted high with under 40 catches?

he can't keep DBs on his back hip, so they're always getting their hands in on slants, etc. he has a big body too so that shouldn't be a problem, but it is. probably should play pickup basketball and only be allowed to rebound.

At least one of these Alabama receivers looks like a whole different level than our guys, Gabe Davis included

I do think scouts like some productivity. ECU receivers and Anthony Miller were very productive. How many guys get drafted high with under 40 catches?
40 catches in 12 or 13 games isn’t much. 3 per game sometimes 4. It’s what you do with them. Aiken never had more than 36 and he played in NFL for a few years. Marshall didn’t do anything until final year when he had 74. I’m sure a lot of guys were underutilized in college. Wrong offense or coaches didn’t know how to use them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT