ADVERTISEMENT

DOW back over 25,000

Crazyhole

Todd's Tiki Bar
Jun 4, 2004
pretty amazing and quite honestly questionable that the stock market recovered so quickly under these circumstances.

I have a feeling that this is priming a dry pump in the desert when people are dying of thirst.

Reactions: Cajam and Ucfmikes
Shocking frankly. I'm staying on the sidelines until late June. Might even wait it after the election if Biden wins there might be a tank and then he doesn't actually change much.
There are no market indicators that lead to the DOW being this high. We are in the worst quarter since at least 1929 and somehow are not in a bear market. That should make everybody question what's going on.

That's really odd since resident doctor and expert Wall St trader @hemightbejeremy assured me that we were headed to 15,000 after a temporary short squeeze in April.

Once all the short squeezing is over we are headed down.

Everybody knows the market is headed down. But shorts are having to cover causing a loop of FOMO and short squeeze buying driving the market up despite the underlying market conditions. We are trading at 2019 levels despite outlooks being dismal. Same thing happened in 2008. There will almost assuredly be a correction soon.

Believe me, you’ll know.

That’s because Trump is president. Who would you rather have to try to fix a destroyed economy after a global pandemic?

I’ll hang up and listen

Reactions: beelit47
pretty amazing and quite honestly questionable that the stock market recovered so quickly under these circumstances.

I have a feeling that this is priming a dry pump in the desert when people are dying of thirst.
And what did I sell????

Noooooooothing!!!!! It always bounces back

I tried to find everything that I had available to buy into my fund at rock bottom.

And what did I sell????

Noooooooothing!!!!! It always bounces back

I tried to find everything that I had available to buy into my fund at rock bottom.
Explain why its bouncing back already. It makes no sense.

Explain why its bouncing back already. It makes no sense.
Economic consumer confidence

getty-trump-thumbs-up-800x533.jpg

Fear can develop and dissipate faster than it takes for the first ripple to show it self in the data.

We are looking at a collapse of housing with AirBNB sell off coming, we will see increased defaults, consumer confidence is very low and retail may be dead dead.

None of that has shown up. All we are seeing in the market right now is people who dont understand how much theyre about to lose.

Reactions: Crazyhole
I forgot who said this but the market is high because it's the only place people can park their money in order to get a return right now.

All we are seeing in the market right now is people who dont understand how much theyre about to lose.
That's my take too. It pains me to be on the sidelines but with the condition we're in right now, I can't see how in the world the markets can sustain this.
I forgot who said this but the market is high because it's the only place people can park their money in order to get a return right now.
My money is safely parked in Bonds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crazyhole
That was me, but I was talking about it happening this summer and fall. This just makes no sense.

I sold part of my stocks today. will sit on sidelines for a while. Waited too long to bail out when it crashed 2 mos ago. Now have another chance to hang on to most of the gains I made over the last 12 years. I expect another drop, unless things bounce back a lot faster than I think.
But am covered if things go really bad short term, and still have enough to grow long term.

All of these rookie investors are all impatient and trying to time the market, hit the home run, etc., why the conservative investors are getting ready to retire.

Play for the long run. The market always recovers eventually

Saudi Arabia is continuing to reduce their foreign holdings to buy US stocks. Sounds great until they risk losing their peg to the dollar and have to sell to cover their budget deficit. Sucks to be Boeing right now.

The economy always has had a lot of momentum. It takes a long time for the wheels to fall off. I'm chilling on the sidelines until I can see if there is a second wave in the fall and we see the earnings numbers/effects of unemployment in Q3.

The economy always has had a lot of momentum. It takes a long time for the wheels to fall off. I'm chilling on the sidelines until I can see if there is a second wave in the fall and we see the earnings numbers/effects of unemployment in Q3.

I'm sure unemployment will improve with mobs destroying businesses in major cities. Companies always hire more when their stores are looted and charred.

"Has had", as in past tense. This thing isn't coming back.

The economy is never coming back? Im not sure you understand how money printers work.

It won't come back to what it was 6 months ago for at least 5 years.

Let's just do a quick overview of the fundamentals that have given us a 25,000 Dow:

Commodities are in the crapper
Record unemployment
Largest budget deficit ever
Highest personal savings rate ever
Worst economic quarter in history
Pandemic
Riots and military being called into cities
Looming housing collapse
Travel and leisure industry near bankrupt
Eastern hemisphere famine
Liquidity trap

Let's just do a quick overview of the fundamentals that have given us a 25,000 Dow:

Record unemployment
Pandemic
Looming housing collapse
Liquidity trap
Boomers will not pull their money out.

Record unemployment
Pandemic
Looming housing collapse
Liquidity trap
Uber is at 95% of their precovid price. Uber.

Think about that, who uses UBER?
People drunk after a night at the bars
Vacationers
Business travelers

Three things no one is doing right now. They laid off like 60% of their workforce and have seen rides drop 80%. The google trends page for people searching fo UBER is at a 5 year low and the stock is near an all time high.

No one is selling at a loss so the price wont drop for a while here. 2 more months at least.

Uber is at 95% of their precovid price. Uber.

Think about that, who uses UBER?
People drunk after a night at the bars
Vacationers
Business travelers

Three things no one is doing right now. They laid off like 60% of their workforce and have seen rides drop 80%. The google trends page for people searching fo UBER is at a 5 year low and the stock is near an all time high.

No one is selling at a loss so the price wont drop for a while here. 2 more months at least.

I still think we will see a "correction" this summer and then it will rebound through the end of the year. Thats when the slide begins.

Record unemployment
Pandemic
Looming housing collapse
Liquidity trap

You're forgetting that we have 17 fire hoses of money turned on full blast, with the future possibility of overclocking those hoses with negative rates soon.

You're forgetting that we have 17 fire hoses of money turned on full blast, with the future possibility of overclocking those hoses with negative rates soon.
That would do as much damage as good.

That’s because Trump is president. Who would you rather have to try to fix a destroyed economy after a global pandemic?

I’ll hang up and listen
This. The business climate is favorable for growth. If obama was in charge we already know there would be no rebirth of economic recovery

Reactions: Ucfmikes
This. The business climate is favorable for growth. If obama was in charge we already know there would be no rebirth of economic recovery
Really?

Because Obama wasn't in charge last time a Republican President caused an economic collapse and a Democrat President had to clean it up?

Reactions: Poolside Knight
How is the business climate favorable? Please explain that because I don't see it

do not get why people still get a hard on for the Dow as an accurate metric on how the economy is doing as a whole. if anything 15% + unemployment shows that even more. Andrew Yang was talking about this pre pandemic

What did he do to clean it up?
Not sure if serious.

First, he inherited the second worst economic situation in American history.

Passed ARRA, Auto company bailout, Dodd-Frank, CARD Act, Homes Act, Small Business Jobs Act... I could go on and on with the bills passed by the Democrat Congress and Obama which led to the next 11 years of economic growth.

Reduced the deficit more than any recent president other than Bill Clinton.
Increased the value of the dollar more than any recent president.
75 months of job growth, and steady GDP growth.
235% growth in the S&P500 from day 1 until he left office.

Between deficit reduction and economic growth, Obama and the 111th Congress have a better track record than almost any in history.

Reactions: UCFVanWilder
Not sure if serious.

Passed ARRA, Auto company bailout, Dodd-Frank, CARD Act, Homes Act, Small Business Jobs Act... I could go on and on with the bills passed by the Democrat Congress and Obama which led to the next 11 years of economic growth.

Between deficit reduction and economic growth, Obama and the 111th Congress have a better track record than almost any in history.
Sounds great. Why didn't those things survive a 2 month shutdown 11 years later?

do not get why people still get a hard on for the Dow as an accurate metric on how the economy is doing as a whole. if anything 15% + unemployment shows that even more. Andrew Yang was talking about this pre pandemic

Did anyone here say that?

Really?

Because Obama wasn't in charge last time a Republican President caused an economic collapse and a Democrat President had to clean it up?

The last downturn came because of the subprime loan process.. They were pushed under Clinton, just took a long time for the chickens to roost. Banks were pushed into doing those loans, not by Bush but by the Clinton administration. As much as I didn't like John Mc Cain, he tried to get congress to look into Fannie Mac and Salle Mae. W and the Congress were guilty of looking the other way, while the housing market was booming and then bubbling.

Not sure if serious.

It was not the 2nd worse in history. There have been multiple world wide DEPRESSIONS throughout history. this was simply a bad recession. I would argue the Jimmy Carter recession was worse, and yes I went through both. Unemployment was higher, we had double digit inflation and interest rates, an housing crash very much like the one in 2008. And the Saving n Loan bank crash that ended an entire industry. As for deficit reductions, he only cut them from the massive ones he and Bush made trying to bail out the economy. Spending remained high but not on hyper spend like they were for 18 mos. Deficits today are off the charts for the same reason, and if spending goes back to something resembling the normal out of control, this years insane budget deficits will also fall.

ADVERTISEMENT