ADVERTISEMENT

Drinking those USF Tears

That is good stuff!
Golden in fact with specs of Waste Management green!

Excuse me while I revel in their tears of anguish and marvel at their truly astounding delusion. MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

They are so out of touch in every way possible. How can so many people be so incredibly stupid?

Reactions: Knight_Fyre
I'm surprised at how many think the AAC games don't matter, and that they don't have anything to play for. Have they not seen our 2013 and 2017 seasons? I know they have.

I harp on this all the time, and this applies to any program, "It's not just about winning games but winning games that matter." Sure, they have beaten some good programs but then when it came to winning a game (or games) that matter they didn't.

We have done a good job of that. Sure, we've lost a ton of games to P5 schools but in the last 5 years we've done better at that, and beyond that in seasons where we lost those games we went on to play for, and win games that matter. It gives you program and players attitude and swag.

We spent 8 years in CUSA but while there we played for the title four times, winning two.

We were given the opportunity in 2013 to be in a bcs league for 1 year and took advantage of it by going 8-0 in conference play and beating #8 Loserville at their place, to give us the opportunity to play (and beat) the Big 12 champ, Baylor. In 5 years in the AAC, we have 2.3 titles (in 2014 we split with 2 other teams).

They don't think that being undefeated, conference champs, and winning a NY6 Bowl against a top notch program (at the end of the season....and not in week 1-2) isn't exciting? If we were in a P5 conference, that would be a great season.

Sure, the whole Invitational system still sucks but it is what it is. The way to upset that apple cart is just keep winning. Houston got their shot a couple of years ago and failed. This year is our shot. We'll just have to see what happens but even if that top-level goal doesn't happen, we could still get that NY6 bowl slot, and/or hopefully still play for a conference title. The pressure on these kids and staff is enormous this season.

They sound like they are still sore that they just didn't get annointed the chosen one and be given a top 25 ranking every year because of their name, and oh yeah, they should be playing in a P5 conference and have rivalries with "real" programs. To this I say the old addage (paraphrasing), "Look at what you have and be focused on it, instead of constantly glaring off into the horizon and staring at what you don't have." Instead of staring at the horizon or even noting it, though, they don't even seem to acknowledge that there is a horizon. They need to build out the facilities and an affordable OCS or will continue to drop further down the pecking order. Rutgers and Maryland show that P5 conferences don't just look at on-field performance only when snapping up new members. It's more like a combination of things on and off the field, including academics, TV markets, etc...

They have to accept where they are at and focus on it, just like we do, while preparing for the future. Nothing is going to change that for now. Our program has done a great job of doing this, even with setbacks like 2015, which could easily derail a lot of programs if they don't have the things in place to get back on track. Every program is going to have a season (or stretch of seasons) where they struggle.

I am super excited to see what we look like, and good or bad, what happens.

They are literally in denial over the fact ...
  • Attendance matters to P5 conferences
    • Chicken-egg here
  • They have not done jack in any conference
    • They were a huge disappointment in the Big East -- both on and off-field!
    • Their basketball was hated in the Big East (could have had UCF football-only)
    • USF was the primary argument against an all-sports UCF later
  • Their own President killed the Big East
    • WTF are they going to wake up to this?!
    • Pitt's AD called it out, 1 school shouldn't control the conference
  • Their program had numerous issues beyond Beaker
    • Being BCS (back then) they got a 'pass' from the NCAA
I'm still big on an UCF-USF 'package deal,' just look at the TV ratings when we're both good!
But with their fans like this ... they are holding us back, badly!

Just like they did the Big East.
No one wants them now.

Kinda sad, because they do have a subset of fans that 'get it.'

'Nor does a Lion ever doubt himself like so many in this post. A lion makes himself king of wherever he is. whether it's in the jungle (P5) or a little encasement in a zoo (AAC) and this team and fans need to have a desire to dominate whatever conference we are in.'
It doesn't matter what UCF accomplishes, while USF doesn't. They will put asterisks on all of our accomplishments ... in football, in basketball, etc... It's why they are in such denial of their problems

Last edited:
They started on 3rd base and now singles and doubles don't excite them. Life lesson to be learned here.
Expectations-Reality= Happiness.
Yep, they skipped 25 years of Division II and I-AA (FCS) and even independent I-A.

But a few are 'getting it.' They recognize part of being a Bulls fan, like us Knights fans, is growing up and not caring what others think ...

'I can’t tell anyone how to live their life or how they should feel about a team or program. What I can say is I’m as excited for this season as I was as a Freshman. College football is a release and this program, no matter what conference, is ours. This time of the year, everyone is asking “who is your team?”, and there are plenty of UF, FSU, etc to go around. When I say USF I get “that look”. I think a majority of you living in SEC country know the look I’m referring to. The thing is, when FSU wins, these people get to call themselves fans. When they lose, they don’t care about college football suddenly. If you identify yourself as a USF fan, take pride in that. Whether it’s more or less than you did 5-10 years ago. Take pride in it. Because when we have success, we don’t have to share it with every brother, sister, father & mother who knows someone that knows someone who lives 15 miles from Tallahassee. We all we got, we all we need. Go bulls. See you all Sept 1'

Although ArmyBull is the best. He is like our typical, 20th Century fan, or at least from early C-USA era.

'This whole thread is so very telling. Truth is we NEVER had a fan base, perhaps the BE was the worst thing that could have happened to us, long term. While the c. florida folks are celebrating increasing ticket sales, national championships (*cough*), etc. We are moaning and groaning that we are no longer part of the club... All of this, after the best three years of our existence.'

USF has had the 3 best years ever. They are no longer losing to teams they shouldn't ... like they did in Big East. The proof is in the statistics, because despite what USF says ...

The first 5 years of the AAC have resulted in far better games and finishes in the top 10, major bowl wins against top 10, etc... than the last 9 years of the Big East. It's all there. The final Big East was having trouble winning against just the top 25, let alone most of their BCS games were often against a low ranked team.

Strength-of-Brand is the only problem with the AAC. The Big East was living on borrowed time, especially when USF entered it. But winning changes that. And they refuse to not only give UCF credit for what UCF has accomplished, but much, much worse ...

Their own fans won't give their own players credit for what they have accomplished!

^ That's why, if I'm a recruit that has a choice between UCF and USF ... I pick UCF, by far!

Reactions: Knight Strength
Okay, new favorite ...

'Person 1: We were NEVER the 2nd best team in the country.

Person 2: If UCF can self identify as the National Champion, then why can't USF identify as the number 2 team in the poll? You're not very open or inclusive of the teams chosen pronouns'

Sure, they can cling on to it ... it means whatever you want it to mean.

But UCF actually had a full, complete, undefeated season, 4 wins against AP top 25, 1 against AP top 10, in 2017. UCF had 3 wins against AP top 25, 2 against AP top 10 (and lost by 4 points to a 3rd, the eventual #4), in 2013 as well.

The problem is that USF is remembering the Big East pre-alignment, before the AP was over-rating West Virginia and others. It was worse 2005-2012 than they realize! Even West Virginia got smacked, hard, when it joined the Big XII for a reason! There's also a Cincinnati came in and dominated too.

The Big East 2005-2012 had trouble, most years, even putting anyone up for a BCS game. People forget that. The statistics don't lie. The AAC has had 3 top 10 finishes in 5 years. The Big East couldn't even do that over 9 years (2005-2012)!

They spent most years in BCS games against top 25, not top 10, and losing half of the latter.

Last edited:
Typical USF, blaming the conference for their woes....never stopping to remember they never did anything in the big east either.

I like my USF tears over ice, very refreshing after another win.

Typical USF, blaming the conference for their woes....never stopping to remember they never did anything in the big east either.
I like my USF tears over ice, very refreshing after another win.
This is why I plan for only 8 wins this year, hope for 10, and would love to go undefeated again.

But most of all, I want to beat USF. I could care less what the record is, in fact ...

I'd love it USF came in undefeated, with their charmin soft special, while we blew it against an in-conference foe (say ... at Memphis), so 7-0 v. 6-1 in-conference, and we delivered that tie-breaker loss to them, and re-matched Memphis in the 'Ship again.

I'm all for a down-to-the-wire game too, like 2008, 2013 and 2017 all were.

They are still living their 'insta-BCS' history, even though they didn't accomplish jack. Years non-BCS teams went, and won, against better teams than they did. They never built a fanbase of tears, and are complaining about a team that has lost only a handful of games in 3 years. They don't know what it's like.

They literally don't know what even a divisional championship feels like, or why it matters!

Which is why they don't understand why their stadium isn't full, and why rivalries get the most fans and viewers ... USF is the anti-Boise State. They really just don't know, and are clinging on to a couple of top 10 victories long gone, which UCF has done 3 times in the past 5 seasons.

Teams aren't built on a couple of top 10 victories over a dozen years ... but repeat success over a decade, with fans showing up because you're playing, not who you are.

That's why, even though UCF has accomplished as much, or more, as Boise State, TCU and Utah in NY bowls, we're still not as good as Boise State is with the continuous, winning seasons. That's why I want UCF to be like Boise State, not like a P5 program (although we're flirting with being better than most of them), while USF is still remembering a history in the worst years of the Big East.

Those 9 years that were worse than the AAC has accomplished in just 5.

Last edited:
Did they really come to USF games when they were in the Big East to see USF? Sounds like all the whining is because they don't wanna see THEIR team play schools they don't like. WTF?

My favorite line from an Alum trying to save a dejected USF season ticket holder:

"Stay with us, bro!"

Reactions: UCFBS
Did they really come to USF games when they were in the Big East to see USF? Sounds like all the whining is because they don't wanna see THEIR team play schools they don't like. WTF?

Like I've been saying. They need to join another conference.

Like I've been saying. They need to join another conference.
They honestly believe they deserve to be P3 (not even P3+2). It's not even worth touching that any more.

It's sad their players are out there, busting their butts, getting lots of Ws, and their own fans don't see it. And they try to downplay the rivalry, not realizing that is what college football is built on, more than anything.

But they haven't had a program long enough to realize that. Their fanbase is where ours was in the '90s.

If the B12 announced today they were expanding and adding 2 teams, UCF/FAU is the smarter long term play.

I get what some of them are saying about the big picture of the College Football system but they just look like the worst fans ever to complain that they are too good for 'this level' when they have never won a Conference championship.

Okay, new favorite ...

Person 2: If UCF can self identify as the National Champion, then why can't USF identify as the number 2 team in the poll? You're not very open or inclusive of the teams chosen pronouns'

But UCF actually had a full, complete, undefeated season, 4 wins against AP top 25, 1 against AP top 10, in 2017. UCF had 3 wins against AP top 25, 2 against AP top 10 (and lost by 4 points to a 3rd, the eventual #4), in 2013 as well.

The problem is that USF is remembering the Big East pre-alignment, before the AP was over-rating West Virginia and others. It was worse 2005-2012 than they realize! Even West Virginia got smacked, hard, when it joined the Big XII for a reason! There's also a Cincinnati came in and dominated too.

The Big East 2005-2012 had trouble, most years, even putting anyone up for a BCS game. People forget that. The statistics don't lie. The AAC has had 3 top 10 finishes in 5 years. The Big East couldn't even do that over 9 years (2005-2012)!

They spent most years in BCS games against top 25, not top 10, and losing half of the latter.

I get what you're saying but I think you're forgetting what happened to West Virginia in there. They lost Rich Rodriguez in 2007 who was the main reason they were as good as they were. Then they went to the Big12 but are on an island which is hardly ideal. They were probably overrated but not that much.

The false sense of superiority and entitlement from USF never fails to amaze however.

I get what you're saying but I think you're forgetting what happened to West Virginia in there. They lost Rich Rodriguez in 2007 who was the main reason they were as good as they were. Then they went to the Big12 but are on an island which is hardly ideal. They were probably overrated but not that much.
Again ...
Code:
  American (‘13-17)                                Big East (‘08-12)
'Group of Five (G5)'     Moniker / Qualifier     'BCS Auto Qualifier'
3 of 3 (‘13, ‘15, ‘17)      Major Bowl Wins*       2 of 5 (‘11, ‘12)
   3   (‘13, ‘15, ‘17)      AP Final Top 10           1   (‘09)
  10   (2, 2, 2, 1, 3)      AP Final Top 25           9   (2, 3, 0, 2, 2)

*American: 3 of 3 (v. top 10) – Big East: 1 of 2 (v. top 10), 1 of 3 (v. top 25)

Take-away: The Big East teams were overranked (had trouble beating even top 25, well outside the top 10 teams), while the American teams continue to get under ranked (let alone by the CFP), when beating top 10 teams, P3+2 divisional and even P3+2 conference champions.

The false sense of superiority and entitlement from USF never fails to amaze however.
From a conference that was worse than the AAC.

The AAC has won more NY bowls against top 10 teams in 5 years, in only 3 chances, than the Big East did in 9, with a crapload more opportunities.

Last edited:
Reactions: SublimeKnight
The AAC certainly is underranked and underappreciated but we all know that already. All of this with a lackluster media deal makes it that much more impressive.

Reactions: UCFBS
Okay, new favorite ...

To be accurate the Big East had teams finish in the top 10 (I just looked at the AP):
2005; West Virginia won the Sugar Bowl and finished top 10
2006; had 2 teams finish in the top 10; Louisville won the Orange Bowl
2007; West Virginia won the Fiesta Bowl and finished top 10
2008; Cincy was just outside the top 10 going into the Orange Bowl but got beat.
2009; Cincy was undefeated going into the Sugar Bowl but lost, still managing to finish in the top 10.
2010; The Big East rep was 8-4, and shouldn'the have even been playing in a major bowl....they got thumped.
2011; 9-3 West Virginia was barely ranked going into bowl season but they beat Clemson in the Orange Bowl 70-33.
2012; Louisville finished just outside the top 10 and whipped UF in the Sugar Bowl.

That's 5-3 in BCS bowl games. You can point that their success was due to 3 programs but you can basically say that about every conference.

When I look at these results I see a solid conference that won a lot of games that mattered. Probably no better or worse than the other P5 conferences.

The difference is just the conference in general...where the powers that be seemed to make sure that the Big East teams just weren't ranked as high. My guess is the other conferences saw they could leverage the competition and remove them by sharing in the over-flowing coffers, so they made sure that only the top dogs in the Big East got votes and just crater everybody else so that they end up worse in CBS poll. It's called muscling out the competition. That way they get more money in the end. Nobody likes to admit these kinds of shenanigans went on but that's what it looks like to me from the outside looking in, especially knowing how our conference now gets treated.

Last edited:
Isn't it kind of an understood rule that you can't be too good for a conference before you've even won it? Before you've even won a division in it?

Reactions: Mikesi
I think south Florida fans are just going through a rough time looking ahead to a downturn this season. A lot of fans experience this.

Not looking forward to the depressing posts we might see on our board if/when we don't do so well in the future.

I have to admit though, the amount of depression in that thread, along with the poll & report that the alumni and students don't want to pay for an OCS, gives me the vibe that they'll be dropping down a subdivision sooner or later.

We are doing a lot of building and are keeping an exciting vibe though. If we keep that up,and keep DW, we have a good chance of powering through any downturn.

Reactions: Mikesi
Drinking those USF tears....LACES OUT WILCOX....

Wilcox estimates he has watched the UCF game a half-dozen times, and for a while dwelt on the fateful final play, when he caught a short Quinton Flowers pass at the Knights 47 and turned upfield before defensive back Richie Grant popped it loose with 39 seconds remaining.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf...-wilcox-seeks-new-beginning-after-ucf-ending/
38739751_499730970448209_2364164168262615040_o.jpg

I took this right after it happened. Knew it would come in handy someday. :joy:

" "You know what, one thing that has looked good is the way they've been kicking the ball," Strong said."

This kind of reminds me of the story of the airline captain making an announcement to his passengers. "Ladies and gentlemen this is your captain speaking. I have some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that we've had a system failure here in the cockpit, we've lost all of our navigational instruments, and we're hopelessly lost. But the good news is we have a tail wind so we're making good time."

Wow. They are absolutely DELUSIONAL over there! While bitching they deserve to be in the P5 based on a string of truly meaningless accomplishments, they downgrade their rivalry with us, despite that we've surpassed them by just about every imaginable measure. It's laughable. While they continue to struggle to put 20K in Buccaneers' Stadium every game, we're nearly sold out of our season ticket allotment and our fans are happy and proud, despite the SAME quality of competition on the field. It's akin to their recent "study" that suggested anything less than a state of the art OCS was "beneath them" and would tarnish their brand. They need to get over themselves QUICK, or they're going to continue to live in a perpetual world of disappointment. Of course, it's all VERY well-deserved. Don't you just LOVE karma!?

Their fanbase needs to drop that negative nancy attitude and get on board to help the team otherwise that toxic atmosphere will permeate into the players and then they will be in FCS.

I don't get how all those rocket surgeons over there fail to recognize the cancer of their President's leadership is what killed the Big East. USF is why the Big East fell apart.

What is on display there is the bigger problem found in our culture. They essentially bought a Division 1 program. They are like a spoiled kid whose parents bought them a brand new Mustang for their 16th birthday. They went out and got drunk and wrecked it. Now they are 24 years old and drive late model Nissan Altima. It's a nice car but they still think they should be in a new Mustang or Lexus. In the end their entitled attitude keeps them from seeing their reality. They feel entitled to be in the ACC or SEC.

On the other hand UCF fans old and some young have experienced the blue collar hard work and sweat poured into our program. We are the kid who bought a $900 Datsun 310 hatchback with no air. We worked hard, worked out our way up and now we drive Toyota Tundra. We appreciate where we are and where we came from. We know we are not entitled to anything. Though on the national title ...well we just took it.

USF fans act like self entiteled mallenials. They need to wake up because it takes work and time to build a successful anything. In a way I feel sorry for them. They just don't enjoy the moment. They don't appreciate the struggle so when success does come , they truly don't know how sweet it is.

ADVERTISEMENT