ADVERTISEMENT

Driving experience in Ireland

Gallahad

Silver Knight
Gold Member
May 31, 2001
Margaritaville, Daytona Beach, Florida
Hey crew, Mrs. G. and I went to Ireland in October 2010 for our 25th, and I rented a Ford Fiesta coupe in Dublin. I didn't even make it 8 miles to our hotel, before I pissed off an Irish bicyclist taking a corner with me. Let me tell ya, sitting on the wrong side of the car, shifting with your left hand, and driving on the wrong side of the road, ain't for the weak-hearted!

After Dublin, we drove to, and stayed a few days in Kinsale (outstanding!), and then to Dingle for a few days (magical!) before driving back to Dublin, to fly home. (Should have flown home from Shannon!)

You will need a car to get out into the countryside, but if you wanna try it, here is my advice, for what it's worth:

1. Purchase the "walk-away" insurance coverage on your rental. You will be glad you did.

2. Fold your side mirrors in, EVERY time you drive and minimize your driving in Dublin or any large city. It is VERY common for Americans to knock off an oncoming car's side mirrors, as well as their own, while driving in Ireland. If it happens, no one usually stops. (Luckily we survived without THAT happening!)

3. Don't err too close to the curb. We heard lots of stories from Canadians and Americans, blowing out a tire, by hitting the curb at moderate speed.

4. DO NOT rely on a GPS in the Irish countryside. It will mislead you horribly! Use a roadmap, your good common sense, and read / heed the road signs. GPS are great for cities and towns.

5. DO NOT drive in the Irish countryside after dark. There are sheep EVERYWHERE in Ireland, and they like to lay in the road at night, to absorb the road's heat. The roads are VERY narrow, very winding and the countryside can be hilly, so your headlights can't necessarily illuminate whats over that rise, or around that curve.

6. Use the "zipper" approach in roundabouts. If there is an vehicle oncoming in your direction, let him go first, and slide in behind him!

7. Purchase Rick Steve's travel book on Ireland. It is the best by far!

8. Take Rick Steve's advice and purchase a CD with traditional Irish folk music to play while driving in the countryside. It will make your day!

And some non-driving tips:

Buy some wine and picnic foods, if you are in the countryside, and enjoy lunch outdoors!
If you are ordering drinks in a pub, if you are gonna order a Guinness, ALWAYS order it first! It takes a while to settle, so they can make the others while it does!

Cheers!

Reactions: 1KnightStan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News