ADVERTISEMENT

Duke vs UCF Military Bowl

Central Floridave

Todd's Tiki Bar
Aug 21, 2001
I guess we eventually have to start talking about the bowl game....

Duke probably gets the edge in the “happy to be here” department. The Blue Devils are back in the postseason for the first time since 2018 following an 8-4 campaign under first-year coach Mike Elko. UCF is bowling for a seventh straight year but would probably rather be in another one after falling short in the American Athletic Conference finale.

Ugh....

Who is Duke's QB?

Riley Leonard. He pretty much does it all. He has thrown for 2,794 yards and 20 touchdowns and is the Blue Devils’ leading rusher with 636 yards and 11 more scores. His overall average of 285.8 yards of total offense a game is good for 26th in the country.

True. I would like to win though. I'm sure TC will get a bunch of snaps since he already burned his redshirt. It ain't as fancy as the cotton bowl against USC....would be nice if we were in that game though. The article mentions it perfectly. Duke probably wants it more. Dear Gawd...come on UCF...Beat Duke, it's a basketball school and we almost beat them last time we played in that sport. :p :p :p

Pretty sure Gus wants to win so the detractors keep quiet until next September at least. JRP starts and plays most if not all of the game.

Pretty sure Gus wants to win so the detractors keep quiet until next September at least. JRP starts and plays most if not all of the game.
Yeah, we need a win to keep momentum.

And If JRP is healthy, I agree. But even then I think we will see TC come in for some “packages” to disrupt momentum a la gatewood, unfortunately.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
Doubt UCF and Malzahn wants to risk a 5 loss season to get guys practice, which would be the worst since 2016. 9 losses in two seasons is not a good look no matter what the situation is with the team.

Is bowser playing? Any O'line sitting out? Since UCF runs the Navy offense now we need both them. Plumlee hamstring got plenty of time to heal...hopefully, he is being smart about that and not practicing stealing 2nd base for baseball spring practice.

No idea why everyone thinks we get beat badly in the bowl, we should handle them fairly easily if we don’t have a ton of opt-outs. They only had 1 win against a team with a winning record and that was a 7-5 Wake team. They probably had the easiest OOC and ACC schedule out of anyone in the ACC.

Can win the bowl games you don't play.

I wouldn't be upset with an L. I actually think it would be good to gwt TC and some younger players reps. Dont burn any redshirts.
I speak for the majority of the fanbase when I say it would be incredibly upsetting if we don't come out to play and win against this very winnable, boring, lackluster Duke team. Gus needs to win this for the fanbase he let down this season, and still fight for relevancy and momentum heading into the B12. We get that momentum by having a big time win and finishing the season ranked in the top 25 which we haven't since the 2019 season.

I speak for the majority of the fanbase when I say it would be incredibly upsetting if we don't come out to play and win against this very winnable, boring, lackluster Duke team. Gus needs to win this for the fanbase he let down this season, and still fight for relevancy and momentum heading into the B12. We get that momentum by having a big time win and finishing the season ranked in the top 25 which we haven't since the 2019 season.
Boring, lackluster Duke team? Could you be any more of a homer? What absolute nonsense. This is like the “Loserville” garbage people still say around here, even though we’ve lost to them twice in a row. Duke had one of the most balanced and successful offenses in the ACC this year. The ACC was down, but Duke played good football.

Down four starters on a woof defense already is probably not the time to talk shit. Exactly why people can stand our fans.

Reactions: PositYourself
Boring, lackluster Duke team? Could you be any more of a homer? What absolute nonsense. This is like the “Loserville” garbage people still say around here, even though we’ve lost to them twice in a row. Duke had one of the most balanced and successful offenses in the ACC this year. The ACC was down, but Duke played good football.

Down four starters on a woof defense already is probably not the time to talk shit. Exactly why people can stand our fans.
Who the hell have they beaten?! You are easily impressed by a team that got beat by GT and Pitt!

Who the hell have they beaten?! You are easily impressed by a team that got beat by GT and Pitt!
Exactly. Looked like they played an easier schedule than us. Only FBS team they beat w/ a winning record was a 7-5 Wake team that completely fell off end of year. They missed playing Clemson and FSU also.

I feel like our defense couldn’t be worse w/out Brown blowing coverage and JJB missing tackles. If JRP is healthy we should expect to win.

Last edited:
I've got BYU vibes about this one.
Nah. BYU was rolling going into that bowl game. We were punching way above our weight. They were 10-1. Duke is 8-4 and they started 3-0 against Temple, Northwestern (1-11) and NC A&T. They only beat one team with a winning record, Wake Forest (7-5) and they lost 4 of their last 5 games. Our defenses are ranked within two spots of each other. Our offense is 30 slots better but that’s going to come down to whether Plumlee is healthy or not.

We definitely have problems on the defensive side of the ball unless some guys get healthy. Bowl games are such a crap-shot anymore. Plus, it’s going to be cold as f-ck and I guess we’ll see who wants to overcome that. That’s going to be our Oct/Nov from now on in conference play. They better get used to it.

Last edited:
I dont think the States we play in is much different in October November than AAC. Ohio, Maryland, Texas, Oklahoma is much different than Big 12. Its actuallly the same but change Maryland to Iowa and W Virginia.

I dont think the States we play in is much different in October November than AAC. Ohio, Maryland, Texas, Oklahoma is much different than Big 12. Its actuallly the same but change Maryland to Iowa and W Virginia.
The biggest change is no guaranteed Florida game to finish the season in late November. Could be in Utah, Ohio, West Virginia in freezing temps.

The biggest change is no guaranteed Florida game to finish the season in late November. Could be in Utah, Ohio, West Virginia in freezing temps.
Ok so 1 game. Every other year. Not that much different. Aren’t joining Big 10.

With our defense I will be ok with a close game at the end. We have a QB who likely is not 100% a bunch of starters gone of a poor defense.

Thisi s what I'm talking about..winning and finishing ranked matters. People say "who cares about end of year rankings." Kids do. Recruiters do. When you can make a statement like "UCF is a winning program who has finished the season ranked 5 times out of the last 8 years....ranked in the top 10 3 times out of the last 10 years" etc. is what keeps UCF in headlines, pre-schools polls, it keeps the UCF brand name going and going and going.

Thisi s what I'm talking about..winning and finishing ranked matters. People say "who cares about end of year rankings." Kids do. Recruiters do. When you can make a statement like "UCF is a winning program who has finished the season ranked 5 times out of the last 8 years....ranked in the top 10 3 times out of the last 10 years" etc. is what keeps UCF in headlines, pre-schools polls, it keeps the UCF brand name going and going and going.

If the temps stay at 39-40 and if it rains , that is the worse weather to play in and watch in person . I have hiked in that weather where I live in the mountains and it's miserable. Cold is one thing , wet and cold is another . Wet and cold adds a risk of hyperthermia. Weatherwise it would be best for sun and no wind , then possible snow and worse is cold and rain . The good news is if the weather is crappy both teams have to play in it.

Our defense is so suspect , the DC left , have a new one . We have a number of issues on the D side of the ball . I want to win but I am not counting on a win.

If the temps stay at 39-40 and if it rains , that is the worse weather to play in and watch in person . I have hiked in that weather where I live in the mountains and it's miserable. Cold is one thing , wet and cold is another . Wet and cold adds a risk of hyperthermia. Weatherwise it would be best for sun and no wind , then possible snow and worse is cold and rain . The good news is if the weather is crappy both teams have to play in it.

Our defense is so suspect , the DC left , have a new one . We have a number of issues on the D side of the ball . I want to win but I am not counting on a win.
When I checked yesterday, the forecast changed. It’s now saying 30-40 degree weather for the day but no chance of rain/snow.

I bet someone has compiled our record in cold weather. What would you consider cold? Anything under 60 degrees? 50 degrees?

UCF is the better team at full strength but they clearly aren't right now with injuries and defections. I’m not sure this lower-tier bowl matters that much to the Knights.

Whoever plays wants to win. Im not turning into a P5 snob. We should be able to score. We’ll see about defense.

Plus, it's a gambling site. Gonna base your money wager on a perception that UCF isn't 'Clearly' not into this bowl with injuries and defections. Yeah right-O.

Any word on Plumlee? Assumed the extra time to rest the hammy would make him good to go but you never know in bowls.

Agreed, that is the media take that UCF is not taking this 'lower-tier' bowl serious.

Kind of funny though.
I think most of us would agree.....and it's not about it being a "lower tier" bowl.....it's the way the season ended, the QB injury, and the loss of both coordinators.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT