ADVERTISEMENT

DW must be doing something right

SCKnight

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
Because the P5 rhetoric has hit an all time off season high. The usual suspects have really latched on to this USF scheduling issue. It was like they were looking for something to beat us with and this seems to work. Everyone knows that there will be no way to tell what the outcome of scheduling like that will be for another 10 years, but it has become an instant "see this is what you do" talking point .

It has really hit a nerve. If UCF fans can continue to cling to the obnoxious outlaw image and not care what others say it will remain a rallying point. The moment that UCF fans try to appease, they get jumped.

The crazy thing is rejecting 2-1 offers isn't anything new for UCF. I recall GOL saying that UCF won't do anymore 2-1s. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the last 2-1 UCF accepted was with Texas and that was negotiated to get them here to open up BHNS.

We did a buy game with Ohio State and Michigan. We did an away-neutral site series with Penn State. Otherwise, all of our agreements with P6 schools since at least 2007 have been H-H. The only difference now is P6 teams don't want to play us because they know they will likely lose. They conveniently use our H-H policy as an excuse to not play us. If we offered 2-1 they would come up with another excuse. Hope we don't start giving in.

The crazy thing is rejecting 2-1 offers isn't anything new for UCF. I recall GOL saying that UCF won't do anymore 2-1s. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the last 2-1 UCF accepted was with Texas and that was negotiated to get them here to open up BHNS.

We did a buy game with Ohio State and Michigan. We did an away-neutral site series with Penn State. Otherwise, all of our agreements with P6 schools since at least 2007 have been H-H. The only difference now is P6 teams don't want to play us because they know they will likely lose. They conveniently use our H-H policy as an excuse to not play us. If we offered 2-1 they would come up with another excuse. Hope we don't start giving in.
I believe Penn State was originally a H-H as well, but they moved our home game.

I believe Penn State was originally a H-H as well, but they moved our home game.

Nope, Penn State had a bowl ban and specifically wanted to give their guys a trip. So we agreed away and a Kickoff game (our home game in Ireland)

From what I understood is that they were going to cancel/buyout the game.

This is the correct version of the events. Penn St was going to buy out the 2014 game at UCF. Ireland had hosted a couple of neutral site games in the years before, and someone thought a game with head coaches named O'Leary and O'Brien would be a neat idea. But O'Brien left Penn St to become the coach of the Houston Texans and didn't end up being the Penn St coach for the game.

Nope, Penn State had a bowl ban and specifically wanted to give their guys a trip. So we agreed away and a Kickoff game (our home game in Ireland)

From what I understood is that they were going to cancel/buyout the game. Orlando would have been a trip.

After reading through some articles from that time, I think you’re both right. It was good for Penn St because of the ban and good for ucf because they’d still get a big time opponent, albeit not at home.

Example article:
http://www.mcall.com/sports/college...nn-state-ireland-obrien-oleary-story,amp.html

This is the correct version of the events. Penn St was going to buy out the 2014 game at UCF. Ireland had hosted a couple of neutral site games in the years before, and someone thought a game with head coaches named O'Leary and O'Brien would be a neat idea. But O'Brien left Penn St to become the coach of the Houston Texans and didn't end up being the Penn St coach for the game.
Yeah, those punks were afraid of losing to us two times in a row.

You are correct, GOL had the same stance and there was only a few occasions where he made that exception. And where the program is today with all of the recent success of winning, increased revenue, ticket sales and fanbase why would we take less money to play on the road at a major brands school. It’s like these idiots from the SEC and the national media can’t get over the talking points.

UCF has played away for money with no return games. We have endured cheating SEC cartel refs in close losses. We have paid our dues. Everyone wants to peg us as a G5 school. I know we’re not a major brand but I be damned if we’re not on a similar level as a lot of mid to lower level major conference schools.

The same rationale that big schools would use about not coming to play at UCF because they can make more money at home is the same rationale that UCF can now use because we make a lot of money at our home games. So all of this crap is pointless.

Why can’t DW get on more of the national talkshows where he can set the record straight. There are only a couple of teams doing what we do outside of the major conferences. It needs to be talked about until we are blue In face and until perception becomes reality.

Reactions: PothTXKnight
We’ve played 4 times. Won once. That guy say we beat them twice in a row?

No...he said Penn St was afraid of losing to UCF two times in a row (the 2013 victory in the game already played, and the 2014 game scheduled to be played at UCF).

I think if that game had been played at UCF instead of Ireland there is a good chance we would have won.

Reactions: hemightbejeremy
No...he said Penn St was afraid of losing to UCF two times in a row (the 2013 victory in the game already played, and the 2014 game scheduled to be played at UCF).

I think if that game had been played at UCF instead of Ireland there is a good chance we would have won.

No doubt we win. Was at that game, too little too late. Heartbreaking loss added to many others.

Wasn’t Holman QB? No chance if he was.

Interesting boxscore. Horrible rushing statistics for both teams. No way a UCF team has those rushing numbers nowadays unless it’s against Alabama maybe.

Thank you Frost/Heupel!
Penn State saw Dinovo try to throw an easy 3 yard pass to an open receiver in the flat that only made it 2/3 of the way there on one of our first plays. They immediately stacked the box with 9 and had their corners crowd our receivers at the line, right up until Holman took over. By then we were playing catch up and mostly stuck with our suddenly revived passing attack through the end of the game.

If Holman started; we win no matter where it was played. We were beat because GOL fell in love with Dinovo’s “fieldmanship”

I was there and it will be forever known as the Croke Park “fieldmanship” Classic
The “statue”!

If Holman started; we win no matter where it was played. We were beat because GOL fell in love with Dinovo’s “fieldmanship”

I was there and it will be forever known as the Croke Park “fieldmanship” Classic

All of this.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Dinovo started and didn’t do very well. Holman came in and almost rallied us to a win.
At face value, that had to be one of the worst decisions Coach O'Leary made during his UCF career. Holman clearly played better than Dinovo. Was Holman being punished for some reason? Otherwise, starting Dinovo in place of him makes absolutely no sense to me.

At face value, that had to be one of the worst decisions Coach O'Leary made during his UCF career. Holman clearly played better than Dinovo. Was Holman being punished for some reason? Otherwise, starting Dinovo in place of him makes absolutely no sense to me.
Exactly. Holman actually played clean up duty in 2013 vs UConn. He was clearly the starter to everyone. At least I thought he was

Reactions: KnightMatt8
Exactly. Holman actually played clean up duty in 2013 vs UConn. He was clearly the starter to everyone. At least I thought he was
Has everyone forgotten that Dinovo came from the Oleary ties back in Jersey. I think Dinovo’s Dad has a prior relationship with GOL.

GOL was showing favoritism. That was one of his biggest downfalls as he didn’t always put the best players on the field especially freshman. Also, he didn’t like taking what he called chances on bad apples.

Don’t get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for GOL and I’m glad he came along and helped build a great foundation for our program. He made men out of boys. He did things his way and that’s fine but I didn’t always agree with all of his philosophies.

Dinovo was from there? I know Calabrese was.
You are correct. I was mistaken. Another GOL favorite Calabrese.

Dinovo is from East Lake I believe. Around Tarpon Springs in Pinellas County. Not sure of the ties to GOL

GOL didn't know how to recruit the QB position but he did know how to take sub-par talent (in most cases) and make them serviceable if they played two years in a row (starting in the second season). Our record in years a guy played 2 or more consecutive years doesn't lie. What I'd really like to know is which guy Taafe wanted to start. My guess is he got trumped by GOL. That said, GOL harped on the fact that Holman wasn't great at practice and didn't seem to run the team well. He was probably trying to make some larger statement within the team. After watching his abysmal performance in the first half, though, I guess he just said to himself, "Wow. He has just cracked under pressure so I have no choice but to roll with Holman." Again, if we had better competition at that time I think the results would have been different.

Presently, we have much better competition at the QB position.

GOL didn't know how to recruit the QB position but he did know how to take sub-par talent (in most cases) and make them serviceable if they played two years in a row (starting in the second season). Our record in years a guy played 2 or more consecutive years doesn't lie. What I'd really like to know is which guy Taafe wanted to start. My guess is he got trumped by GOL. That said, GOL harped on the fact that Holman wasn't great at practice and didn't seem to run the team well. He was probably trying to make some larger statement within the team. After watching his abysmal performance in the first half, though, I guess he just said to himself, "Wow. He has just cracked under pressure so I have no choice but to roll with Holman." Again, if we had better competition at that time I think the results would have been different.

Presently, we have much better competition at the QB position.
Basically, he completely threw away one important first half of football right into the garbage pail.

Has everyone forgotten that Dinovo came from the Oleary ties back in Jersey. I think Dinovo’s Dad has a prior relationship with GOL.

GOL was showing favoritism. That was one of his biggest downfalls as he didn’t always put the best players on the field especially freshman. Also, he didn’t like taking what he called chances on bad apples.

Don’t get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for GOL and I’m glad he came along and helped build a great foundation for our program. He made men out of boys. He did things his way and that’s fine but I didn’t always agree with all of his philosophies.

You’re thinking of Troy Green aka Harry Potter. Dinovo was from Tampa.

scaled.php

ADVERTISEMENT