ADVERTISEMENT

DW must be doing something right

Because the P5 rhetoric has hit an all time off season high. The usual suspects have really latched on to this USF scheduling issue. It was like they were looking for something to beat us with and this seems to work. Everyone knows that there will be no way to tell what the outcome of scheduling like that will be for another 10 years, but it has become an instant "see this is what you do" talking point .

It has really hit a nerve. If UCF fans can continue to cling to the obnoxious outlaw image and not care what others say it will remain a rallying point. The moment that UCF fans try to appease, they get jumped.

We just need more supporters now. I mean Frenso State should have been furious last year that we didn’t get an Invitational invite which prevented them from a well deserved NY6 bowl game. Heck the whole MWC should be pissed about missing out on that payday.

Same with the Big 10. I said for years, we will get a legit playoff if the Big 10 champ doesn’t get Invited to the Invitational. Clearly I was wrong. They have been capitulate while being screwed.

Both the MWC and Big 10 have everything to gain and nothing to lose in demanding change in the corrupt system.

Danny seems like the only one in cfb who has the fortitude and will to stand up for what’s right.

I really believe if usf and UCF switched places the last 2 years, Danny would be saying the same things for usf. That’s morals and principles, my UCFriends. It appears not many have that in cfb. FWIW, I also believe GOL would do the same as Danny.

It’s a magical time to be a Knight!

Reactions: ahabmw
I'd feel a lot better if there were some significant OOC scheduling announcements. I'm a little wary that the interaction DW had with Stickland in December has back-fired. DW's language and tone sort of indicated he was planning on having the exchange published by Bianchi....I worry that exchange has led other P5 AD's to not even take his calls. We still have a lot of blanks to fill for our OOC the next few years.

Reactions: ahabmw
I'd feel a lot better if there were some significant OOC scheduling announcements. I'm a little wary that the interaction DW had with Stickland in December has back-fired. DW's language and tone sort of indicated he was planning on having the exchange published by Bianchi....I worry that exchange has led other P5 AD's to not even take his calls. We still have a lot of blanks to fill for our OOC the next few years.

The idea that we have a significant scheduling problem is not necessarily true. We have a lot of empty spots, but not all of them are difficult to fill.

Our scheduling philosophy is...
2 P5 per year (one home - one away)
1 G4
1 FCS

In 2020 and 2022 we already have our two P5 games. We just fill in with our annual G4 game and annual FCS game which are much easier to find.

In 2021, we need a P5 home game...plus the G4 and FCS games. Obviously this is worrisome because of P5 reluctance to schedule UCF H&H. If we cannot fill the P5 slot, this is probably where we would try to fill in with an upper level G4 like Boise St, BYU, San Diego St or Fresno St.

We don't have serious problems until 2023 where we have no games scheduled.

The idea that we have a significant scheduling problem is not necessarily true. We have a lot of empty spots, but not all of them are difficult to fill.

1 G4
1 FCS

In 2020 and 2022 we already have our two P5 games. We just fill in with our annual G4 game and annual FCS game which are much easier to find.

In 2021, we need a P5 home game...plus the G4 and FCS games. Obviously this is worrisome because of P5 reluctance to schedule UCF H&H. If we cannot fill the P5 slot, this is probably where we would try to fill in with an upper level G4 like Boise St, BYU, San Diego St or Fresno St.

I'd be curious how may P5 team have openings in their schedule in 21 and 23. I suspect it is going to be very slim pickens

1 G4
1 FCS

I'd be curious how many P5 teams have schedule openings in 21 and 23.

I'd be curious how may P5 team have openings in their schedule in 21 and 23. I suspect it is going to be very slim pickens

I'd be curious how many P5 teams have schedule openings in 21 and 23.

As of a couple weeks ago...

"Power" 5 Teams (& the number of common open dates with UCF in September)
I tried to take into account whether teams needed to fill home or away slots based on six home games for each team. So, for example, if a team had one opening for a home opponent...and UCF only needed a home opponent, I did not put them on this list.

USC (Southern California) (4)
Baylor & Boston College (3)
Wake Forest & Pitt (1 or 2)
Maryland & Miami (1)
FSU, Northwestern, TCU & Texas Tech (2)

Boston College, FSU, USC (4)
Oklahoma, TCU, Northwestern, Ohio St, Stanford (3)
Oklahoma St, Michigan, Michigan St, California, Washington (2)
NC State, Miami, Pitt, Virginia (1 or 2)
Syracuse (1)

The realistic list of teams we might be able to schedule is probably a very small subset of this list.

For example, I don't take into account any teams that might prefer to schedule seven home games rather than six, and I don't take into account which teams are highly unlikely to schedule UCF home and home (like Michigan or Ohio St).

Reactions: OvilleNative
How often do teams rearrange their schedules? Like rescheduling or dropping their FCS games to open a spot?

ADVERTISEMENT