ADVERTISEMENT

Economics and my story

Nautiknight

Golden Knight
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2003
Cullowhee, NC
I own a couple of businesses here in the Smoky Mountains. I am largely in the travel and tourism industry. Prior to 2006 I was an environmental planner doing Greenway and trail work, bike ped planning and some permitting and tourism economic development. I quit my career and moved to NC in 2006 when I bought my business. I took a second mortgage out against one of my vacation rentals.

Things were going well until 2008 when the economy took a nose dive and fuel prices went north of $3.75 to $4.00 a gallon. Tourism here tanked. It tanked and stayed slow through about 2016. I call it my lost almost decade. We struggled mightily keeping our vacation rentals and retail business afloat.

I don't fully blame presidents when the economy sucks nor do I give them tons of credit when it's good. In a Republic no one person should have that much power over a free market free enterprise economy. However, I do think consumer behavior is driven in part by fear. There was a lot of concerns under the Obama years about all the changes and radical anti-free market ideas going around especially in healthcare and energy.

We are now in a growth economy. For two years my business sales and over night stays are up year after year. I expanded and added a second location and anticipate a good 4th quarter.

Recently, with the Democrats impeachment hopes dimming , I have seen more and more stories across my news feed with headlines about a possible future recession and so forth. I saw one from the NY Times giving advice on how to live with the recession then in parentheses it said maybe or something or the other.

I am convinced the media is hoping, begging or even egging a recession to start in 2020 because they hate Trump. They know a strong economy favors the incumbent see Bill Clinton or even George Bush or Regan. I know there are Knight fans who loathe Trump and others love the guy. I am luke warm on him.

For me, I have son starting college which we save for and my business is starting to grow. I spent 8 years under stress and struggling. I wish the American Press would actually be positive , hopeful and regardless of the election , I wish they would want Main Street to see growth, hire people and be successful. I just get the vibe they want guys like me to struggle and families like mine to suffer so their guy can win a stupid election.

I want a decade of good economic conditions. I want a press that doesn't instill fear when things are good. I wish both parties would celebrate the good times and work towards policies to help not only Wall Street , but Main Street too. I and many others struggled for nearly a decade. Can't we try to enjoy and celebrate what the past two years have meant especially for small businesses? Can't we stop trying to prime a pump of doom and gloom?

I own a couple of businesses here in the Smoky Mountains. I am largely in the travel and tourism industry. Prior to 2006 I was an environmental planner doing Greenway and trail work, bike ped planning and some permitting and tourism economic development. I quit my career and moved to NC in 2006 when I bought my business. I took a second mortgage out against one of my vacation rentals.

Things were going well until 2008 when the economy took a nose dive and fuel prices went north of $3.75 to $4.00 a gallon. Tourism here tanked. It tanked and stayed slow through about 2016. I call it my lost almost decade. We struggled mightily keeping our vacation rentals and retail business afloat.

I don't fully blame presidents when the economy sucks nor do I give them tons of credit when it's good. In a Republic no one person should have that much power over a free market free enterprise economy. However, I do think consumer behavior is driven in part by fear. There was a lot of concerns under the Obama years about all the changes and radical anti-free market ideas going around especially in healthcare and energy.

We are now in a growth economy. For two years my business sales and over night stays are up year after year. I expanded and added a second location and anticipate a good 4th quarter.

Recently, with the Democrats impeachment hopes dimming , I have seen more and more stories across my news feed with headlines about a possible future recession and so forth. I saw one from the NY Times giving advice on how to live with the recession then in parentheses it said maybe or something or the other.

I am convinced the media is hoping, begging or even egging a recession to start in 2020 because they hate Trump. They know a strong economy favors the incumbent see Bill Clinton or even George Bush or Regan. I know there are Knight fans who loathe Trump and others love the guy. I am luke warm on him.

For me, I have son starting college which we save for and my business is starting to grow. I spent 8 years under stress and struggling. I wish the American Press would actually be positive , hopeful and regardless of the election , I wish they would want Main Street to see growth, hire people and be successful. I just get the vibe they want guys like me to struggle and families like mine to suffer so their guy can win a stupid election.

I want a decade of good economic conditions. I want a press that doesn't instill fear when things are good. I wish both parties would celebrate the good times and work towards policies to help not only Wall Street , but Main Street too. I and many others struggled for nearly a decade. Can't we try to enjoy and celebrate what the past two years have meant especially for small businesses? Can't we stop trying to prime a pump of doom and gloom?

You pretty much nailed it, but I will add that something about the economy isn't quite right. Yes, we finally do have real growth. Yes, people who want to work are finding jobs. Yes, pretty much every market indicator is on the plus side. But there's no inflation, and no economist can figure out why. The Fed is going to lower interest rates this month because they are afraid of am upcoming recession even when everything is telling them not to. I'm not going to lie, I'm starting to get nervous about what might be on the horizon.

You pretty much nailed it, but I will add that something about the economy isn't quite right. Yes, we finally do have real growth. Yes, people who want to work are finding jobs. Yes, pretty much every market indicator is on the plus side. But there's no inflation, and no economist can figure out why. The Fed is going to lower interest rates this month because they are afraid of am upcoming recession even when everything is telling them not to. I'm not going to lie, I'm starting to get nervous about what might be on the horizon.

Yes,I follow business stuff and try to keep track of economic indicators like new car sales and repos of recently sold new cars, housing starts and consumer confidence numbers. I could deal with the concerns by the media wonks better if they only could have been reporting the good news along the way. The economy does ebb and flow. I get it. Their motivation of reporting good news or lack there of is pretty darn obvious. Lol.

The Trump economy is proving the value of consumer confidence and the American spirit. So, how do you kill that? A concerted effort to flood people with doomsday predictions about the economy seems like a pretty good method.

Reactions: UCFWayne
The Trump economy is proving the value of consumer confidence and the American spirit. So, how do you kill that? A concerted effort to flood people with doomsday predictions about the economy seems like a pretty good method.
Honestly, I don't think that the us media can kill it but our currency issue is way out of our control now. There is almost 3 times the numbers of dollars circulating out there in the world than what we have circulating domestically. All of those dollars should have been flowing back in by now but they aren't and nobody seems to know why. US investment and repatriation has been solid, and interest rates have been following that but not at the level that anyone thought was expected. IDK, something else is going on and it makes me nervous and other than the idea of those dollars being burned or lost I can't figure it out.

Honestly, I don't think that the us media can kill it but our currency issue is way out of our control now. There is almost 3 times the numbers of dollars circulating out there in the world than what we have circulating domestically. All of those dollars should have been flowing back in by now but they aren't and nobody seems to know why. US investment and repatriation has been solid, and interest rates have been following that but not at the level that anyone thought was expected. IDK, something else is going on and it makes me nervous and other than the idea of those dollars being burned or lost I can't figure it out.

Lots of money being torn up in the washing machine*

ADVERTISEMENT