ADVERTISEMENT

Expectations and predictions for the baseball season

UCFhonors

Todd's Tiki Bar
Feb 20, 2010
I have no clue how we will be. We bring a ~75th ranked recruiting class (UF #2 usf #4 uhhh) We were slightly above .500 last year. Expectation is we should be in the tourney every year with hopes of making it to the Super Regionals.

So baseball experts, step up to the plate. What should we expect from this team? What should we be on the look out for? How good are we going to be?

How is it possible for a Baseball Program in Florida to be that bad at recruiting? Tino Martinez being part of USF's coaching staff has to help them a lot when recruiting

Reactions: UCFhonors
Maybe our baseball facilities suck? I know Danny White talked about upgrading the baseball facilities.

They are decent. A few million could make them great.

If you want to see the money disparity in full force, google college baseball stadiums. It's shocking. Reminds me of my HS playing days... I batted 1.000. 5A too. We would go up an play in pastures then the next game would be in a legit stadium. Those were the days...

My prediction is I won't see a single game my expectation is that I won't care.

Hey if people enjoy college baseball and wan to support the UCF team I'm all for it. Just not something I've ever gotten into.

If you want to see the money disparity in full force, google college baseball stadiums. It's shocking. Reminds me of my HS playing days... I batted 1.000. 5A too. We would go up an play in pastures then the next game would be in a legit stadium. Those were the days...
You lead the nation in hitting? I did too.

I have no confidence in Rooney or this season. I have been contemplating season tix for years but we are not moving in the right direction. Facilities definitely help....recruiting....fan attraction..etc

I have no clue how we will be. We bring a ~75th ranked recruiting class (UF #2 usf #4 uhhh) We were slightly above .500 last year. Expectation is we should be in the tourney every year with hopes of making it to the Super Regionals.

So baseball experts, step up to the plate. What should we expect from this team? What should we be on the look out for? How good are we going to be?
Wow, that seems like a SUPER low recruiting class. Rooney?

They are decent...if you are a community college.

When UCF built their 5 row baseball stadium some 13 years ago or so...it took them TWO YEARS to build it (construction company made a mistake with their initial base and had to tear it down and built it again!).

USF has a new stadium...obviously UF and FSU have top facilities...heck, years ago even Stetson used a big donation from an alum to work with the city to build a joint use stadium right in downtown:

Stetson's beautiful Melching Field at Conrad Park
COQIHGZCFXAEFTE.20090306183031.jpg

Conrad%20Baseball%207.jpg

600x338

However, with UCF AD Danny White trying to do everything he can to get UCF into a P5 Conf...he is right to spend 95% of his fundraising time to improve the UCF Football Program, Facilities, higher staff salaries, etc...with 4% spent on basketball (somewhat important to future P5) and hopefully less than 1% on Olympic sports which will have no impact if UCF ever receives a P5 invite.

Other Baseball Stadiums around the state:

USF's new ballpark which opened a few years ago:
TNNIQFRVONGXKIR.20140306230019.jpg

ODOBZTUDDHMYFKA.20110421164254.jpg

FSU's Stadium:
howser2021009.jpg

1050x591

TPURHNPBIGEDDES.20140702044545.jpeg

UF's Baseball Stadium
mckethan4.jpg

UF-BaseballStadium.jpg

a025bf44bffd06a7192444cfa7ff2c1b1728fb62.jpg-590x1000.png

And of course, UCF's:

9d2fd78ffe5949784e1015cbd0a0da45600eaffb.jpg-590x1000.png

WOAWAYBRQZSWOFB.20150218163403.jpg

Last edited:
Ucf's baseball stadium looks like a mess. The expansion of seats looks like temporary bleachers. We need to quit tossing money at this stadium and start over.

Ucf's baseball stadium looks like a mess. The expansion of seats looks like temporary bleachers. We need to quit tossing money at this stadium and start over.

That's what they are....1,000 seat bleacher deck at a cost of $500,000. (More lower level chairbacks were added after this picture was taken but the rows are so tight, its almost impossible to walk by those next to you)

2012_02_18_BASEBALL_FISHEYE_UCF_10.jpg

UCF's best chance at a new baseball stadium was to work a deal with the Class A team in Brevard and build a joint-use stadium in the Southeast Corner of the Softball Lot...and move Softball over to Jay Bergman Field (just move in the fences, which opens up more valuable football parking).

That's what they are....1,000 seat bleacher deck at a cost of $500,000. (More lower level chairbacks were added after this picture was taken but the rows are so tight, its almost impossible to walk by those next to you)

2012_02_18_BASEBALL_FISHEYE_UCF_10.jpg

It seems cheaper just to start over. It doesn't look like we have anything worth saving with the current design. Just keep what we have for 5 years without tossing any additional money, then start over and have a regular stadium design.

It looks like we are just chasing to try to make it look decent when the setup doesn't support it. We will keep blowing $500k at a time on temporary bleachers that are an eye sore. Why not just wait until we have the funds to do it right?

It seems cheaper just to start over. It doesn't look like we have anything worth saving with the current design. Just keep what we have for 5 years without tossing any additional money, then start over and have a regular stadium design.

It looks like we are just chasing to try to make it look decent when the setup doesn't support it. We will keep blowing $500k at a time on temporary bleachers that are an eye sore. Why not just wait until we have the funds to do it right?

I agree...and that's why the proposed $2 Million expansion for just a few hundred club seats and a new press box was put on hold:

ucf-baseball-stadium-expansion-042513.jpg

The challenge now that Tinker Field no longer exist is that if UCF wanted to build a new stadium at the same location, UCF Baseball would have to play somewhere else for at least one season...but it would certainly be worth it.

Astros are leaving Kissimmee so that stadium would be available.

Closer option would be the old historic stadium in Sanford:

Historic_Sanford_Memorial_Stadium.jpg

Sanford_-_From_2b2640T.jpg

But without a minor league team partner (who could help invest millions to partner with UCF), its smart if UCF uses any extra funds to help improve first football and then if anything is left over, basketball programs...as that will be why UCF will or won't get a future P5 invite.

Once you are in P5 for awhile...then you can start dumping extra $$$ on programs like Baseball. Texas A&M spent $25 Million...with help of some corporate support like Blue Belle Ice Cream...hence Blue Belle Park, which is probably the best college baseball stadium in the country. (Tampa Bay Rays wished they had a stadium like this)

BLUEBELLPARKFORWEBSITE.jpeg

XDACWPZZVLOBYYY.20120331233207.jpg

IMG_3581.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry Honors, but my bs meeter just went through the roof. I find it very hard to believe you were perfect and had a batting average of 1.000. If so, you only had a couple at bats and managed a couple hits.

As far as college baseball stadiums go, look at LSU's and Texas' stadiums. They are bad a$$.

No doubt, we need a major overhaul on our baseball stadium. However, you could do it with the current facility. Just go out and get architects that specialize in baseball stadiums.

I think what's frustrating to me is that the area is so talent rich for baseball that this really could be a top program, even coming from the AAC. So many professional baseball players come from the I-4 corridor region. We see baseball programs from lesser conferences competing on the national stage constantly, yet UCF hasn't been able to break through. Even though baseball will never be a huge revenue generator, a proper investment could go a long way in improving this program and accepting mediocrity doesn't seem necessary or smart in this sport when success is reasonably attainable. In a city without a professional baseball team, baseball fans in Orlando may enjoy a competitive UCF program with a nice facility to take in a game. Need to sell beer for sure.

I agree...and that's why the proposed $2 Million expansion for just a few hundred club seats and a new press box was put on hold:

The challenge now that Tinker Field no longer exist is that if UCF wanted to build a new stadium at the same location, UCF Baseball would have to play somewhere else for at least one season...but it would certainly be worth it.

Even that redesign looks like garbage. Still the medal seats and just piss poor design with the baseball offices close. Need to bulldoze the batting cages/offices and start over with a real design. Trying to work with the current one is pissing away money. Why does everything have to look like temporary metal bleachers? Why would you design so few seats floating above the lower area?

Maybe our baseball facilities suck? I know Danny White talked about upgrading the baseball facilities.
there should be a huge advantage of not having to play your first month of games on the road bc of winter like many other programs regardless of the facility

I agree with D. White that continuing to build up funds for Football facilities improvements should be Priority #1, without Football success this Athletic Program is going nowhere

Thanks for sharing all that KL. Informative.
Wow......Rooney needs to pick it up. I bet he's gone after this year.
Yeah the baseball stadium is not that great. The concessions are even worse.

Hate that they built the first deck and left it there without balancing it out on the other side. Loopsided as f. Should have waited on funds and do both sides at once. I don't think it's terrible but the press box needs updating. you can save costs by demoing that and added upper deck on the other side.

Hate that they built the first deck and left it there without balancing it out on the other side. Loopsided as f. Should have waited on funds and do both sides at once. I don't think it's terrible but the press box needs updating. you can save costs by demoing that and added upper deck on the other side.

Even doing the other side is tacky as hell. Floating metal bleachers are not a good look. I'd rather them do nothing and save money. Just do it right in 5-7 years. It should feel like a stadium walking into it. I'm not sure who is doing the facilities planning but it sucks. I get the football stadium had to be built fast and arena was going on at the same time (which is nice), but don't continue to add these projects with metal bleachers. Tacky!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: HammerB08
It's all going to come down to winning. Winning will spark interest and draw more fans, then the demand for a stadium upgrade will be a lot higher. The problem right now is that it doesn't seem like enough people care.

Astros are leaving Kissimmee so that stadium would be available.

Closer option would be the old historic stadium in Sanford:

Historic_Sanford_Memorial_Stadium.jpg

Sanford_-_From_2b2640T.jpg

But without a minor league team partner (who could help invest millions to partner with UCF), its smart if UCF uses any extra funds to help improve first football and then if anything is left over, basketball programs...as that will be why UCF will or won't get a future P5 invite.

Once you are in P5 for awhile...then you can start dumping extra $$$ on programs like Baseball. Texas A&M spent $25 Million...with help of some corporate support like Blue Belle Ice Cream...hence Blue Belle Park, which is probably the best college baseball stadium in the country. (Tampa Bay Rays wished they had a stadium like this)

BLUEBELLPARKFORWEBSITE.jpeg

XDACWPZZVLOBYYY.20120331233207.jpg

IMG_3581.jpg
This is now known officially as "Blue Bell Listeria" park

It's all going to come down to winning. Winning will spark interest and draw more fans, then the demand for a stadium upgrade will be a lot higher. The problem right now is that it doesn't seem like enough people care.

1) helps for recruiting to have nice facilities
2) makes for a more pleasant experience for fans and might have them come back.

They built the baseball offices/batting cages too close to the stands. Now they have the dumb design. Really wasting money tossing more metal at this park which makes it visually unappealing.

part of the reason that UCF's Olympic facilities are so bad in comparison is that we never had the Big East TV money and settlement that USF got when that league dissolved. They used all that money and built their new ballparks & renovated their soccer stadium.

UCF put everything into Football and Basketball

You beat me to it, Nashville. I was thinking concession nachos with a side of listeria. I agree with KNIGHTTIME, K_L and others on this. You can't even see all of fair territory from a good part of that $500,000 addition (reminds me of the upper deck view at the garage/old arena) and the proposed expansion is just throwing good money after bad. The Sanford Memoria Stadium is not in a great area and it looks like the press box is very small – but I could live with it for a year if the parking is adequate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT