ADVERTISEMENT

Fickell to USC rumors

cash big checks for 3-4 years, never get a head coaching job again.
build a program for 15 years, your check grows and your program grows, stability for the entirety of your kids lives.
Not really. Most P5s that are fired are hired somewhere else. See Strong, Taggart, Kiffin, Malzahn, etc. When Frost gets fired he will catch on elsewhere. And like those others he can break his fall with a safety net of millions and millions of buyout dollars.

cash big checks for 3-4 years, never get a head coaching job again.
build a program for 15 years, your check grows and your program grows, stability for the entirety of your kids lives.
Taggart wound up with somewhere between $20-$30 million from FSU. For a successful smaller program coach that's 7-15 years of coaching and the coach has to be delivering the entire time.

It's a no brainer to take $20+ million guaranteed vs. A $10 million contact with the hope of another $10 million over the longer time span.

Worst case scenario you retire set for life for you and your family. The only people that think forgoing the guaranteed big payday is the best decision for a person is the fans that don't want a coach to leave.

Same reason why athletes want the guarantee big contract, past performance is no guarantee of future success. Fickle could end up with a season or two full of freak injuries, bad calls, recruiting misses, players getting in trouble, or maybe wants to devote more time to his family and suddenly Cincinnati wants to go in a different direction or offer him a smaller extension.

Last edited:
No Mahomes at USC. Could be another Josh McDaniels riding Tom Brady’s coat tails, but he deserves a shot for sure. McDaniels sure got multiple shots…
there's a reason he's not a head coach, already. and before people pull the race card, the African American "passing game coordinator" for the Ravens was given a job over him. Brian Flores was getting interviews when he was still a LB coach. The dude doesn't interview well, doesn't even call plays, and has very little to do with QB's. Also has a past littered with sexual assault, DUI's, out of control fireworks parties, and oversaw the rape scandal while at Colorado.

The fact of the matter is USC is not as attractive of a job as people think. These hyper-woke campuses like USC/Texas/Michigan/Nebraska foster a soft culture that bleed into every aspect and make a fall from grace very difficult to recover from. Factor in unrealistic expectations from the fanbase and its always a recipe for disaster.

This is kind of wild…I have my doubts Oklahoma would be interested. Their fans dislike him as a coach almost as much as we dislike him as a whole.
Riley would leave Oklahoma why? They can pay him plenty of money.
Also that article talks about Heup going to coach at Utah. Why in the world would ge quit TN for UT?

Luke is a brilliant man. He said he hasn't talked to anyone about that job yet. And also goes on to say, I hope I get a lot of calls at the end of the year.

This does several things. 1. He knows not to take a call about the job because of the perception it would have 2. He won't take a mid season job, especially because of how much his players love him and how good Cincinnati is this year and 3. He says he would love these calls at the end of the year.

Luke is effectively signaling let's talk after the season and for USC to make an intern head coach without actually saying it
I agree that if he speaks about getting an offer from USC it most likely have a negative effect on his players. I really hopes he waits until the season is over.

USC has nothing in common with Michigan and Nebraska. Not hard to convince people to come to Southern California and in a strong recruiting state to begin with.

I also don't believe if a school struggles for 10 years means they will never be good again.

Any school can succeed if the right situation happens. Clemson was an average program with minor success for 20 years in the middle of nowhere South Carolina.
Clemson may be rural or nowhere but it's pretty there. The campus borders lake Hartwell and you can see the foothills from there . it's close to Greenville which is nice and in two hours you can be in the Atlanta metro area too. it's not like say in Columbia or Florence. lol. I do get your drift though.

Doesn’t matter Fickle will be the head coach of Michigan at the end of the year

Clemson may be rural or nowhere but it's pretty there. The campus borders lake Hartwell and you can see the foothills from there . it's close to Greenville which is nice and in two hours you can be in the Atlanta metro area too. it's not like say in Columbia or Florence. lol. I do get your drift though.
I live near Greenville. There is not much in Clemson, but it's a total college town with plenty for college kids to do, like most college towns. Those players are God's there too. As you mentioned, it's close to Greenville and they're 3.5 hours to the beach.

Is USC still a good job?

LSU could want Luke too. LSU can make you one of the top5 highest paid coaches.

SEC wallets are a lot bigger than PAC wallets.

Is USC still a good job?

LSU could want Luke too. LSU can make you one of the top5 highest paid coaches.

SEC wallets are a lot bigger than PAC wallets.
Yes it is. The SEC has just lost it’s mind chasing Saban, the PAC placing limits on bidding wars is not a bad thing

ADVERTISEMENT