ADVERTISEMENT

Finding College Football's Next UCF for the 2018 Season

JAFFX2

Golden Knight
Gold Member
Sep 18, 2016
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...llege-footballs-next-ucf-for-the-2018-season/

"These five teams have the best chance of being the Group of Five darling this coming year"

"2. UCF: Well, of course I'm going to have the Knights on the list, but I'm not putting them at No. 1. The good news is that McKenzie Milton returns to lead the offense, and he was one of the top quarterbacks in the country last season. UCF also has a couple of games against ACC teams like North Carolina and Pitt, as well as a contest against Florida Atlantic."

But seriously FAU number 1??????

"1. Florida Atlantic: Honestly, would you be surprised if the Owls go undefeated in 2018? This is a team that just went 11-3 last season, including a 9-0 mark against C-USA teams. Plus, not only did the Owls go undefeated against conference opponents, but they won those games by an average of 17.9 points per game. That's not an insignificant margin!

The Owls will once again be the most talented team in the conference, and they also have two big "prove it" games against Oklahoma and UCF. Even if they lose to the Sooners, a win over UCF would go a long way toward seeing the Owls ranked ahead of the Knights or another possible AAC champion should they win out elsewhere.

Now, if you thought UCF was obnoxious with its national title claim, can you imagine Lane Kiffin if his team manages to do the same?"

No way they beat us at home...GTFOH!

Last edited:
Reactions: ahabmw
The media love affair with Lane Kiffen continues. I think secretly they want FAU to succeed more than UCF so the noise will stop.

Now, if you thought UCF was obnoxious with its national title claim, can you imagine Lane Kiffin if his team manages to do the same?

If they beat UCF and OU they might deserve a shot. The problem is that none of the C-USA teams will be ranked when they play them. At least we had Memphis x2 and USF in conference that were ranked. Navy as well for a while.

I kind of liked FAU at first, it was a fun program to follow but some of the hype around it now is getting annoying

We're only 2 seasons into a completely new scheme/offense. The current kids are still going to get more comfortable with it, and additional players recruited into it that better fit it. Every team can be hyped and I'm fine with it because 95% of all hype will get settled on the field. My only concern with our team next season is defense. Shaquem wasn't just good, he was an impact, game changing player every week. That said, our two toughest opponents, Memphis and USF graduated thier QB's so our schedule (within conference) should be easier. New staff....yeah, that matters a lot and we won't know how that effects team chemistry until we see the team go through an entire season with each other.

The bash against FAU just sounds like P5 rhetoric. The idea is to to prevent a divide between G5 and P5 is to have multiple teams challenge. No conference is adding any time soon and even if they did UCF doesn't have a magic ticket guarantee.

It's also a team on the schedule, you want them to be good and hyped up. Complaining about them getting recognition is almost as stupid as the overrated chants when a high rank team is beaten.

We're only 2 seasons into a completely new scheme/offense. The current kids are still going to get more comfortable with it, and additional players recruited into it that better fit it. Every team can be hyped and I'm fine with it because 95% of all hype will get settled on the field. My only concern with our team next season is defense. Shaquem wasn't just good, he was an impact, game changing player every week. That said, our two toughest opponents, Memphis and USF graduated thier QB's so our schedule (within conference) should be easier. New staff....yeah, that matters a lot and we won't know how that effects team chemistry until we see the team go through an entire season with each other.
We're not even one season into a new scheme/offense. There are a lot more questions that need to be answered before our hype train continues. We have the talent to go undefeated again, but how much will change with a new coaching staff?

Wow, didn't know FAU plays oklahoma first before UCF. Pulling for the owls for the upset! Then our Oklahoma alumni coach can seek revenge!

Wow, didn't know FAU plays oklahoma first before UCF. Pulling for the owls for the upset! Then our Oklahoma alumni coach can seek revenge!
I don’t think he is on best of terms with Oklahoma. He probably will be rooting for FAU and will want to beat them to beat them. Not for revenge.

They are making it sound like for FAU to replicate what we did it's just a matter of just winning their schedule.

1. We were the only team in FBS to win out.
2. That schedule included Maryland, ranked USF, ranked Memphis (twice), & a tough Navy team, & we blew our most of the others.
3. Beat Auburn (who beat both finalist teams)
4.We had the highest scoring offense
5. We had no Bye week
6. We did all of that while dealing with a Hurricane & an exiting Coaching staff

Like Lee Corso said in an interview about UCF; those set of circumstances that UCF was in was very special & doesn't come around that often, like every 50yrs.

Last edited:
Looking at all of FAU’s games near the end of 2017, and assuming that they will be as good or better this year, I would be very concerned about them. Especially that they will have played Oklahoma prior to us

That being said, their QB situation will be shaky early on in the year, the game is at home, and UCF should be more talented overall than FAU

The key for sure will be to stop their RB. He will probably be one of the best RBs that we face in 2018

Looking at all of FAU’s games near the end of 2017, and assuming that they will be as good or better this year, I would be very concerned about them. Especially that they will have played Oklahoma prior to us

That being said, their QB situation will be shaky early on in the year, the game is at home, and UCF should be more talented overall than FAU

The key for sure will be to stop their RB. He will probably be one of the best RBs that we face in 2018
To beat us you have to outscore us. Hard to do that running. Would need to throw the ball around.

Reactions: JAFFX2

FAU quarterback, “Last Chance U” star De’Andre Johnson set for comeback after surgery http://faufocus.blog.palmbeachpost....andre-johnson-set-for-comeback-after-surgery/

They have Johnson and a transfer from Oklahoma. Would be funny to see the Oklahoma kid beat his former team.

Download the PostNOW app for the latest Palm Beach news you want, when you want, in this free app.

iOS: http://apple.co/2lsDkLZ
Android: http://bit.ly/2kdU30G

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT