ADVERTISEMENT

Findings on Heupel's Offense

Frost was great, there's just no point in holding on to the past. I must admit, rose-colored glasses are helping me through this time as much as any other fan. No point in worrying all off season just because I don't know what will happen. Looking forward to seeing how recruiting goes these next few months.

Thanks for going through some of this data and showing us what it means in context.
Admit we have unknowns but Heup interviews very well and demonstrates tremendous knowledge and composure. Unfortunately, I still remember year 1 of SF and it was a learning year for him as HC with his on field decisions.

Reactions: Money_Milton
Bored at work today (again), so I decided to look at Otis Anderson's #'s from last season as I feel he's UCF's most dynamic offensive player and is probably the biggest key to UCF's success on offense (other than Milton).

Couple of tables, a few more I want to do in the future such as looking at his stats based on time and score as it seems he always came up big when putting teams away (USF, Navy, Memphis GW Td), but here is what I did today.

S0kSxE.jpg

BWBp2Z.jpg

To put YAC in perspective when contacted at or behind the LOS, 1.5 seems low, but Barkley was at 0.42 I believe last season so 1.5 is probably about average. I know Rashad Penny was over 3 which is crazy.

He also dominated 1st down touches compared to other downs and I would love to eventually look at how his first down success led to UCF points.

Bored at work today (again), so I decided to look at Otis Anderson's #'s from last season as I feel he's UCF's most dynamic offensive player and is probably the biggest key to UCF's success on offense (other than Milton).

Couple of tables, a few more I want to do in the future such as looking at his stats based on time and score as it seems he always came up big when putting teams away (USF, Navy, Memphis GW Td), but here is what I did today.

S0kSxE.jpg

BWBp2Z.jpg

To put YAC in perspective when contacted at or behind the LOS, 1.5 seems low, but Barkley was at 0.42 I believe last season so 1.5 is probably about average. I know Rashad Penny was over 3 which is crazy.

He also dominated 1st down touches compared to other downs and I would love to eventually look at how his first down success led to UCF points.
Barkley had a few bad games and was invisible on offense. Usually made up for it in return game though.

S0kSxE.jpg

BWBp2Z.jpg

For Comparison sake, here's a brief of Ak's and Taj's rush #'s.
Otis blows out both of them. Crazy to me how many more carries AK got and it's obvious he's not a physical runner. Otis is more physical even though they are pretty close i size. Taj's #'s before contact are astonishingly awful. Not sure how he had a 52% success rate with those ypc.

Qj0SlC.jpg

QaQLZM.jpg

Finally finished charting Mizzou, not going to post anything unless anyone is curious about something.

Just one thing I will, is a lot of people mentioned Heupel's offense including a lot more deep passes.

This isn't true, it is basically the same.

I charted 349 passes for Milton on the season, 65 (18.6%) traveled 21+ yards in the air and 50.77% of them were completed.

For Mizzou, I charted 316 Passes (1 less game than UCF, bc Heupel didn't coach bowl game), 61 (19.3%) were thrown 21+ yards and 44% were completed (still a really good %) and a couple of drops hurt Lock in this area.

So in terms, of deep shots, expect the same this season as last. About 1 in every 5 passes is going deep and with UCF's receivers coming back, I expect the 50.77% completion % to improve a bit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT