ADVERTISEMENT

FIRE RANDY SHANNON is

Extremely troubling given the fact that he's now in year 3 of the switch to a 4 man front and should have the players in place to keep teams from scoring that many points. Yes, it sucks to lose Bam and Gowan that's just not a good enough excuse for the performances we've seen this season.

Extremely troubling given the fact that he's now in year 3 of the switch to a 4 man front and should have the players in place to keep teams from scoring that many points. Yes, it sucks to lose Bam and Gowan that's just not a good enough excuse for the performances we've seen this season.
We need to play a 3/4 because it’s difficult to find good defensive linemen

what really should be happening. His defensive numbers have been beyond bad for 3 years against good teams.

Thoughts?
His defenses in 2018 and 2019 gave up ~25 ppg. That is good for #43 in 2018 and #43 in 2019. For reference, in 2017 we were #43 and #50 in 2016. So we have been pretty consistent for four years in a row. So far in 2020 we are giving up 33ppg. Have to wait for the end of the season to see where this ends up.

My point is, our defense has been consistent, and good enough to win lots of games when you score a lot, like we do. In 2016 we didn’t score as much so we lost more. All that matters is that each week your score is more than your opponent. We have been in position to win all 4 games and you can blame coaches, players or both. They’re all at fault. We just didn’t make enough plays.

His defenses in 2018 and 2019 gave up ~25 ppg. That is good for #43 in 2018 and #43 in 2019. For reference, in 2017 we were #43 and #50 in 2016. So we have been pretty consistent for four years in a row. So far in 2020 we are giving up 33ppg. Have to wait for the end of the season to see where this ends up.

My point is, our defense has been consistent, and good enough to win lots of games when you score a lot, like we do. In 2016 we didn’t score as much so we lost more. All that matters is that each week your score is more than your opponent. We have been in position to win all 4 games and you can blame coaches, players or both. They’re all at fault. We just didn’t make enough plays.
I have to disagree with a few items (respectfully). Offense did a very good job against Memphis. Not perfect but 650 yards and 49 points. Our offense type does put the defense on the field for extended periods (as firm mentioned). But let's be honest, the second half, ECU scored at will. And the second half is when opponents are making adjustments. You just cannot give up 500, 600, 700, 750 yards per game period! If Randy hasn't recruited well enough, then that's a problems also. The Defensive line is a big problem this year (playing bad or mediocre teams). QBs have a ton of time to throw. If defense doesn't change, we don't have a chance against good teams.

Reactions: Yaes
Good luck being a DC on this team. If we controlled the ball more, Randy's numbers would be better.

Hard to find a strong DC to come to UCF. They know its an offense oriented team, they know the defense will be on the field more than average, and they will give up points.

Who ever comes also will likely have less authority than Randy Shannon has.

Look, Memphis did things offensively that game that we haven't seen on tape before, give Shannon a break*

Look, Memphis did things offensively that game that we haven't seen on tape before, give Shannon a break*
Look as look as he has been coaching wouldn't he know most offenses by now? Come on. And if it was a new look shouldn't the defensive guru know what to do? Oh, I know he has to wait until have time. What the hell does he have a headset for?

Also didnt the defense have the most TFL's last year and all our starting DB's were on some list for top DB awards. The defense has been good before. Nate Evans was miles above better than these LBs right now. its some on the players some on the scheme this year.

700 yards, penalties, unsportsmanlike....NO BREAK. 3 years Shannon's defense has been a mess.

Look as look as he has been coaching wouldn't he know most offenses by now? Come on. And if it was a new look shouldn't the defensive guru know what to do? Oh, I know he has to wait until have time. What the hell does he have a headset for?
You guys totally missed the sarcasm...Huepel said this exact excuse last year after our loss to Cincinnati, so I like to use it for anything and everything now

Even after the win today, I am still not sold of Randy Shannon. We do seem to be getting the penalties under control and that's good.

ADVERTISEMENT