ADVERTISEMENT

Fired for Being Gay

DaShuckster

Diamond Knight
Nov 30, 2003
So the Catholic Church fired a respected and well-loved HS counselor for being gay?

I could of sworn Jesus Christ's Most Important Teaching said to "treat others the way you want to be treated." If Christ were around today, he'd be shaking his head in shame at the despicable behaviors that so many so-called "Christians" justify in His Name.

So the Catholic Church fired a respected and well-loved HS counselor for being gay?

I could of sworn Jesus Christ's Most Important Teaching said to "treat others the way you want to be treated." If Christ were around today, he'd be shaking his head in shame at the despicable behaviors that so many so-called "Christians" justify in His Name.

The old republican double standard

Reactions: DaShuckster
I'm a life-long member of the United Methodist Church -- same with my wife. Nothing pisses me off more than so-called "fellow" Christians who use their religion as a platform to justify their bigotry.

Reactions: _glaciers
The United Methodist church still states marriage is between a man and a woman. Homosexuality is a sin, that said it is ok for gays to attend and be members. Your church states homosexuals should not be clergy nor pastors. Is that much different than a counselor? Maybe you need a new church, that practices what you preach.
Gee, thanks for the update, goodknightfl* :)

Maybe my church is in the midst of splitting so the UMCs in the Southern States can keep on hating homosexuals. But the vast majority of our churches will remain United Methodists and embrace gay clergy and gay weddings.

One interesting development is that those Southern churches were expecting the African congregations in the UMC to follow them lock, stock, and barrell into their new church since they tend to be anti-homosexual too (in many African countries, homosexuality is a death sentence crime.)

Yet the African churches began balking on joining up once they began to realize its those Mainstream UMC branches across the country --- the vast majority who (um, like Jesus) support all people --- who generously provide their funding. They've discovered their "theologically-aligned soul-brothers" in the American South don't provide them with diddily-squat. Wow, what a shocker! ;)

I went to UM church for a few years. I no longer attend any church, If you believe the Bible is the word of God, that word has to be the beginning the end of any and all arguments. If the Bible isn't the word of God, it is all a huge fairy tale and there is no bedrock to build the church on. There is no reason to have a church, it is like believing a story about Peter Pan, and building a tinker bell cult.

I went to UM church for a few years. I no longer attend any church, If you believe the Bible is the word of God, that word has to be the beginning the end of any and all arguments.
Only if you are a fundamentalist where everything has to be black and white.
If the Bible isn't the word of God, it is all a huge fairy tale and there is no bedrock to build the church on.
The Bible as a whole is full of contradictions. On the other hand, being a Christian, it's pretty easy to believe in the New Testament teachings of Jesus Christ.
There is no reason to have a church, it is like believing a story about Peter Pan, and building a tinker bell cult.
I guess I don't consider following the Golden Rule to be cult-like. It's about being a kind, caring person and helping others less fortunate than ourselves.

I agree on the golden rule. That is simple morals held by individuals. Do un to others as is human. Belief in a church structure is something else. To believe the Bible, you have to accept Jesus was born of a virgin impregnated by the Holy Spirit, was the son of God, Lived a sinless life, and died for your sins. If you can believe that and that the rest of the Bible is easy in comparison. If Bible is the word of God, then believe the whole thing. If it isn't then it is a hoax and throw it in the dumpster. Don't pick and choose your pieces. If it isn't the word of God it is total BS. It can't be both.

I won't call pedophile's MAPS, because it hurts their feelings to be called pedophiles. because their sin if acted upon causes children real harm. I won't excuse drag queens acting out and having young kids rubbing their crotches and tell them it is ok. I also won't accept people born Male pretending to be girls competing in girls sports when real girls can't compete against men. If you wish to perform as a Drag Queen with adults who are ok with you great. If you wish to pretend girls can be born with genetics and sex organs that are male great, but don't abuse women athletes in the process.

Jesus loved, and forgave sinners, but he also called them out on those sins and told them to go forth and sin no more.
John 5-14.,

Last edited:
I agree on the golden rule. That is simple morals held by individuals. Do un to others as is human.
However you want to describe it. It came from Jesus Christ.
Belief in a church structure is something else.
The church structure had absolutely nothing to do with Jesus. Heck, he was Jewish.
If Bible is the word of God, then believe the whole thing. If it isn't then it is a hoax and throw it in the dumpster. Don't pick and choose your pieces. If it isn't the word of God it is total BS. It can't be both.
The people who take the Bible literally -- be they fundamentalists or the scoffers -- are two sides of the same coin.

Faith (IMO) is about the intangibles (emotions and feelings), not the attempts over the centuries to produce tangibles for needy folks to hang on to. Was all the joy, excitement, and love we experienced as little kids sitting with our parents on Christmas morning meaningless once we learned Santa Claus wasn't real?

I believe that all of humanity -- be it during the biblical times or today -- is ill-equipped to understand 'what comes next.' But over the centuries we've made many attempts at it. But no matter how lame or compelling they are, it all comes down to how we feel.

Church (at least for me) isn't about 'organized religion,' its about a community of like-minded people coming together and bonding. Whether that human bonding is accomplished through a church, a neighborhood garage sale, or through our support of a college football team, that can't be all bad.

Last edited:
Like minded people also joined together to bomb the world trade center, round up 6 million jews and exterminate them, no it isn't always bad, but sometimes it is bad. I don't relate the Church to that. I am a Christian and have belonged to churches, even serving as a deacon, and Sunday school teacher. But plenty of bad has been done by the Church.

Reactions: DaShuckster
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT