ADVERTISEMENT

Florida has a damn good governor

I wholeheartedly agree that the first vaccinations should go to front line hospital workers, not elected officials.

But pardon me if I don't believe DeSantis deserves any gushy fanboy praise or a f*king medal pinned to his chest for 'this extraordinary act of selflessness.'

I wholeheartedly agree that the first vaccinations should go to front line hospital workers, not elected officials.

But pardon me if I don't believe DeSantis deserves any gushy fanboy praise or a f*king medal pinned to his chest for 'this extraordinary act of selflessness.'
Of course you don't. He has an R behind his name. There isn't a single republican that you like, so your post goes without saying.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Of course you don't. He has an R behind his name. There isn't a single republican that you like, so your post goes without saying.
Where's your evidence of that? It's pretty clear there are some Republicans (cough, Trump, cough McConnell) that I detest but there are others that I admire. For example, Ohio's Governor, Mike DeWine, seemed like a pretty stand-up guy to me during this age of Covid.

Politicians are assholes. Stating the obvious

Glad that I live in Florida though. Unfortunately, everyone else is coming here

Unless the politicians are over 60 it is a jerk move.

They are doing it to try to show the vaccines are safe. Some concern about vaccines is certainly valid (especially within the African American community, since we dont have a great history with that), but at the same time we live in a country where a lot of people think the vaccines have microchips in them and other conspiracies. If we lived in a normal country I would agree with you, but since we live in a country where a significant portion of the base of one of our major parties has become a post truth/conspiracy riddled party, then they kind of dont have a choice. Can you imagine the conspiracies if politicians didnt get the vaccine? It's kind of a damned if you do damned if you dont situation.

They are doing it to try to show the vaccines are safe. Some concern about vaccines is certainly valid (especially within the African American community, since we dont have a great history with that), but at the same time we live in a country where a lot of people think the vaccines have microchips in them and other conspiracies. If we lived in a normal country I would agree with you, but since we live in a country where a significant portion of the base of one of our major parties has become a post truth/conspiracy riddled party, then they kind of dont have a choice. Can you imagine the conspiracies if politicians didnt get the vaccine? It's kind of a damned if you do damned if you dont situation.
Nobody believes the vaccine has a microchip in it, and if they did then seeing a politician get it wouldn't make a difference. They would just say its a fake shot because those people would be insane to begin with.

Nobody believes the vaccine has a microchip in it, and if they did then seeing a politician get it wouldn't make a difference. They would just say its a fake shot because those people would be insane to begin with.

There are people already saying they are fake shots, and yes, there are most certainly microchip conspiracies all over the place, you are wrong.

There are people already saying they are fake shots, and yes, there are most certainly microchip conspiracies all over the place, you are wrong.
So the publicity stunts that are beinf made out of vaccinations don't really do anything.

So the publicity stunts that are beinf made out of vaccinations don't really do anything.
I didn't say that. Obviously some people will never be convinced, but if politicians weren't being vaccinated then I am sure a lot more people would be wondering why, and questioning the safety of it. Big difference in conspiracy nuts and those that have valid health concerns. The more people getting shots, the more people who will be convinced its safe.

Do you really, truly believe that AOC reversed her rhetoric and jumped the line to get the vaccine in order to show the vaccine’s safety?

No politician from either party should get a shot. Only after we have reached the priority group they are in and are nearing the end of that group.

Do you really, truly believe that AOC reversed her rhetoric and jumped the line to get the vaccine in order to show the vaccine’s safety?

LOL. It's almost as bad as the politicians who ran around screaming that this was a hoax--and then their asses are first in line to get a vaccine.

One of our major parties? Anti vax folks come in both sides. A large group of your liberal hippies in California won't take vaccines at all. Yes there is another group that believes Bill Gates is trying to microchip us but that is a small group. The large group feels like the vaccine was rushed and waiting to see how others do. Others belive they are in the 99.98% survival group and why bother.

Yes there are people who feel it was rushed, which I think is a valid concern. So seeing other people get it, hopefully helps ease some of that concern.

Reactions: Poolside Knight

Death-santis is a Frump Red-hat true and true. He's a liar.

Lame...is he killing people in nursing homes like your moron up in New York? Are you 10?

Thank God we have DeSantis or we wouldn't have in person school, restaurants open, Disney Universal open, sports on, etc
My wife is a teacher and I am not thankful for DeSantis. He strong-armed the school districts to remain open yet changed the priority where anybody over 65 (I am talking about the 2nd tier, not nursing homes and front line workers) gets the vaccine before teachers. Teachers are in confined spaces for 6 hours a day with a large population of untested people. I believe his decision was a political one due to the amount of voters over 65 in this state. This is a terrible decision, teachers are facing a greater risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: chemmie
My wife is a teacher and I am not thankful for DeSantis. He strong-armed the school districts to remain open yet changed the priority where anybody over 65 (I am talking about the 2nd tier, not nursing homes and front line workers) gets the vaccine before teachers. Teachers are in confined spaces for 6 hours a day with a large population of untested people. I believe his decision was a political one due to the amount of voters over 65 in this state. This is a terrible decision, teachers are facing a greater risk.
I know dozens of teachers in Florida and they ALL want to work. Many of them don’t want the vaccine and they absolutely can’t stand the virtual schooling because it’s completely useless

Zero issues are here in Seminole County with in person education/bus. Unless the teachers have preexisting conditions they will be fine. Everyone else works. Why do they think they are special? Work or don't work.
"Zero" - wow, a quick google search led me to an article with this fact:
According to the Seminole Public Schools COVID-19 dashboard, so far, 579 cases have been reported within their schools. It was last updated on Dec. 16.

"Everyone else works. Why do they think they are special?" - I already stated why, because they are in an enclosed room for 6 hours with untested people, is that not a higher risk than a 65 year old person is retired and can stay at home, work from home? Or if they do have to go in to work, how many do you think are in the same room as 15 other untested people for 6 hours?

Last edited:
Reactions: DaShuckster
I know dozens of teachers in Florida and they ALL want to work. Many of them don’t want the vaccine and they absolutely can’t stand the virtual schooling because it’s completely useless
"I know dozens of teachers in Florida and they ALL want to work."
My wife also wants to work, I didn't say otherwise.
"Many of them don’t want the vaccine" - Really? you polled the "dozens" of teachers you know? I doubt it but, that's not the point, they should be allowed the opportunity to get it because they are at higher risk than the average person.
" they absolutely can’t stand the virtual schooling because it’s completely useless"
I didn't advocate virtual schooling, my point is that if you force people to work in a high risk environment, they shouldn't not be moved down the priority list for protection and that is what DeSantis did.

Last edited:
"I know dozens of teachers in Florida and they ALL want to work."
My wife also wants to work, I didn't say otherwise.
"Many of them don’t want the vaccine" - Really? you polled the "dozens" of teachers you know? I doubt it but, that's not the point, they should be allowed the opportunity to get it because they are at higher risk than the average person.
" they absolutely can’t stand the virtual schooling because it’s completely useless"
I didn't advocate virtual schooling, my point is that if you force people to work in a high risk environment, they shouldn't not be moved down the priority list for protection and that is what DeSantis did.
Most teachers are younger. That puts them down the list. Older people should be first and health care professionals that take care of people with COVID or the elderly. That’s the statistically based pecking order. Not a healthy 35 year old teaching kids.

Sorry that your wife can’t get it yet, but she’s down the list as she should be. I should have had it and was offered it, but I don’t want to log jam the system for those in more need

Most teachers are younger. That puts them down the list. Older people should be first and health care professionals that take care of people with COVID or the elderly. That’s the statistical based pecking order. Not a healthy 35 year old teaching kids
As I mentioned before, I am not talking about nursing home and front line workers like health care professionals. They are all part of the first tier. I am talking about the second tier, teachers were on that tier (based on statistics ) but DeSantis went against the "statistical based pecking order" and moved them down so people 65 are older (coincidentally are large portion of his voting constituency) could get it first. There is a difference between the older people living in concentrated areas (nursing homes) and ones still living at home. The ones at home were not supposed to get the vaccine until after the teachers (CDC guidance).

As I mentioned before, I am not talking about nursing home and front line workers like health care professionals. They are all part of the first tier. I am talking about the second tier, teachers were on that tier (based on statistics ) but DeSantis went against the "statistical based pecking order" and moved them down so people 65 are older (coincidentally are large portion of his voting constituency) could get it first. There is a difference between the older people living in concentrated areas (nursing homes) and ones still living at home. The ones at home were not supposed to get the vaccine until after the teachers (CDC guidance).
In my opinion a 65 year old or older person who’s not on lockdown, going to the store, doctors appts etc., has a much higher risk than MOST teachers who are generally averaging in their late 30’s.

It’s my opinion, but that’s not the worst argument against Desantis

Wow...out of all of Seminole County 579 cases in the schools which have a near 100% survival rate with kids. Younger teachers like 99.75% or higher. My kids have been going face to face with zero issues.
In my opinion a 65 year old or older person who’s not on lockdown, going to the store, doctors appts etc., has a much higher risk than MOST teachers who are generally averaging in their late 30’s.

It’s my opinion, but that’s not the worst argument against Desantis

You're opinion is false unless the 65 yr old person is shopping in a 30x20 store for 6 hours with 15 untested people.

"It’s my opinion, but that’s not the worst argument against Desantis" - I agree, there are worse arguments against DeSantis.

FYI, I voted for him. But for me, it was the lesser of two evils, which I think has proven true. I just don't think he is "damn good". For some reason, our society seems to force people to be "all in" on our politicians and that should not be the case. They are all human and flawed. We should analyze each of their decisions to ensure they are for the better good. We need to hold them accountable for these decisions and make them aspire to do better.

You're opinion is false unless the 65 yr old person is shopping in a 30x20 store for 6 hours with 15 untested people.
Studies show 65 year old and above people have such a much, much higher risk than younger people that your argument is statistically insignificant and only theoretical. Those variables have not been demonstrated in a comparison study amongst those 2 groups

We don’t need to lockdown all of the elderly and confine them to shopping when a vaccine is available, so that teachers with a 99.7% survival rate or whatever can get the vaccine. They can wait a few weeks. I have a higher risk than any teacher and I’m waiting. They can too. The elderly want it and most teachers don’t. Is that not true?

Teachers will be coming up soon. It will go quicker than trying to deal with elderly once we get that group done. Once we have private businesses like CVS and others delivering the shots it go at a faster pace.
Publix too. Everyone who wants it will get it soon enough. Let’s not panic

Studies show 65 year old and above people have such a much, much higher risk than younger people that your argument is statistically insignificant and only theoretical. Those variables have not been demonstrated in a comparison study amongst those 2 groups

We don’t need to lockdown all of the elderly and confine them to shopping when a vaccine is available, so that teachers with a 99.7% survival rate or whatever can get the vaccine. They can wait a few weeks. I have a higher risk than any teacher and I’m waiting. They can too. The elderly want it and most teachers don’t. Is that not true?

You keep focusing on only age. Exposure is a key factor as well. Here is an excerpt from an article about a University of Michigan study that states "COVID-19 incidence and mortality in Michigan that cannot be explained away by differences in population age and sex"
--------------------------------------
Large variations in exposure at home, in the community and at work—rather than case-fatality rates—may explain the well-documented racial disparities in COVID-19 mortality during the first wave of the pandemic last spring, according to a new University of Michigan study.

“Our results highlight yawning gaps in COVID-19 incidence and mortality in Michigan that cannot be explained away by differences in population age and sex composition,” said lead author Jon Zelner, assistant professor of epidemiology. “When we consider disparities in mortality from COVID-19, it is critical to examine disparities in both the overall risk of infection as well as the risk of death once an individual is exposed. Each of these has very different implications for prevention.

“As we roll out the first vaccines, understanding the relative contributions of exposure versus case-fatality to disparities will be important for ensuring vaccines are distributed in a way that minimizes rather than exacerbates existing disparities.”

Publix too. Everyone who wants it will get it soon enough. Let’s not panic
No panic here, just frustration that the distribution process was adjusted from the scientifically determined order to accommodate what I am assuming is a political ploy.

No panic here, just frustration that the distribution process was adjusted from the scientifically determined order to accommodate what I am assuming is a political ploy.
Why would you expect any different given it is a government rollout? As soon as seniors started complaining about their risk, anyone that relies on elections to keep their jobs was going to respond in a way that soothed the squeaky wheels.

That's been the problem with the entire global response outside of whatever the Asian countries are doing in their silos. So much of the messaging and response has been affected by media and public hysteria. It's just the way the world is right now.

Why would you expect any different given it is a government rollout? As soon as seniors started complaining about their risk, anyone that relies on elections to keep their jobs was going to respond in a way that soothed the squeaky wheels.

That's been the problem with the entire global response outside of whatever the Asian countries are doing in their silos. So much of the messaging and response has been affected by media and public hysteria. It's just the way the world is right now.
I saw the country galvanize when the towers fell on 911, I see the pandemic as an even greater threat that should unite everyone to do what is right. I agree with what you have said above, and that frustrates me.

California almost 50k daily cases. Damn...and restaurants aren't open. In person school is out. Disney closed. The lockdowns and crazy restrictions still showing a failed strategy.
Those people are living a miserable existence and all for nothing. They can’t even get vaccinated easily

Reactions: UCFBS
ADVERTISEMENT