ADVERTISEMENT

Florida House passes bill banning transgender athletes from women’s sports

Trans individuals have always existed. They didn’t suddenly start existing in 2021. Given that, it should be real easy to produce plenty of examples of people “losing out.”
This is true. But the environment where lawsuits for discrimination are being filed when they are not allowed to participate as their chosen gender is new. The atmosphere where colleges are honoring and being forced to honor the chosen gender in all things regardless of impact is new. Cancel culture is new.

Last edited:
There is a profound lack of understanding when it comes to transgender individuals. Which isn’t shocking. Quite a bit of hatred too simply because of that lack of understanding. Which has been a thing with tons of minority groups over the years.

Not sure why people seriously think that someone would change their gender in order to dominate a sport. It seriously trivializes the realities of being trans. Also not sure why people think that with appropriate hormone treatment, a trans individual would still somehow develop the same types of physical characteristics and performance of their biological sex.

This is a solution in search of a problem and it isn’t shocking that a conservative government would use that to humiliate a minority group. Having to show their genitals to prove their sex? Real weird stuff. Urgency on a topic like this and neglect on things actually that are a problem.
It is not about lack of understanding or hate. Men are built different than women. They by nature are stronger, faster and simply put together differently. I doubt anyone would go thru the transgender thing to compete as an woman, that being said even with hormone therapy a trans gender person is still underneath the external changes a man. As an 16 to 18 year old I was anything but a jock, I would not have made the football, track, basketball nor base ball team, but still could outperform 95 percent of all female students and easily took spots from female athletes..

This is true. But the environment where lawsuits for discrimination are being filed when they are not allowed to participate as their chosen gender is new. The atmosphere where colleges are honoring and being forced to honor the chosen gender in all things regardless of impact is new. Cancel culture is new.
Interestingly, you talk about mainstream society being "forced" not to discriminate but describe "cancel culture" as new.

The only thing new about the so-called cancel culture is that YOU aren't the self-appointed arbiter of what's right or wrong any more.

Reactions: chemmie
People aren’t “choosing” anything.

This type of legislation is also the ultimate form of “cancel culture.”
It is not about lack of understanding or hate. Men are built different than women. They by nature are stronger, faster and simply put together differently. I doubt anyone would go thru the transgender thing to compete as an woman, that being said even with hormone therapy a trans gender person is still underneath the external changes a man. As an 16 to 18 year old I was anything but a jock, I would not have made the football, track, basketball nor base ball team, but still could outperform 95 percent of all female students and easily took spots from female athletes..
Your post is lack of understanding personified.

Why shouldn't boys that dont identify as girls be allowed to compete in their sports?

Yes, they are choosing. Their biological gender was not a choice. They then choose to live in the gender that they feel more attuned to. But no one and nothing is forcing them to change their biological gender nor to attempt to compete in their chosen gender.

This legislation is not cancel culture. It’s not outlawing trans-female leagues/divisions nor is it outlawing trans people. It is providing the protection for female athletes that was always intended when they created separate divisions/leagues. Why do you want to remove that protection from women?

Yes, they are choosing. Their biological gender was not a choice. They then choose to live in the gender that they feel more attuned to. But no one and nothing is forcing them to change their biological gender nor to attempt to compete in their chosen gender.

This legislation is not cancel culture. It’s not outlawing trans-female leagues/divisions nor is it outlawing trans people. It is providing the protection for female athletes that was always intended when they created separate divisions/leagues. Why do you want to remove that protection from women?
Being trans is not a choice. Fundamental lack of understanding in plain view right there.

As for the rest, the only people here being targeted and humiliated are trans people. You can’t cite any significant amount of issues with trans women competing in high school sports and neither can any legislator that is pushing these types of laws. Pick out something people don’t understand, claim there are massive immediate problems, and that certain people need to be “protected.” Then vilify them, point them out, pass laws, and score some hateful culture wars points with the base. It’s the same old story that plenty of minorities have been subjected to throughout American history.

Reactions: DaShuckster
Being trans is not a choice. Fundamental lack of understanding in plain view right there.

As for the rest, the only people here being targeted and humiliated are trans people. You can’t cite any significant amount of issues with trans women competing in high school sports and neither can any legislator that is pushing these types of laws. Pick out something people don’t understand, claim there are massive immediate problems, and that certain people need to be “protected.” Then vilify them, point them out, pass laws, and score some hateful culture wars points with the base. It’s the same old story that plenty of minorities have been subjected to throughout American history.
If it's not a choice, nobody should have the choice on who can participate in men's or women's sports.

Why do we have to wait for girls to lose out on things before we act?

If you listen to them they're already losing out. Take us in this thread out of it... what is the message to the biological girls that are upset? That they're hateful? And what exactly is the ask here? That we log all examples out there until we meet some magical threshold where it's ok to ask questions or take action?

Took 2 secs to pull this up from earlier this month.

-------------------------------------------------------

“I know what it’s like to be beat by a biological male in my own sport,” Madison Kenyon, 19, a sophomore runner at Idaho State University, told ABC News. “I’ve seen them beat some of the fastest girls in this nation. … We’re not here for a participation trophy. We’ve been working so hard. We’ve been making so many sacrifices, and we’re not just here to participate. We want to compete, and we want to compete on a fair playing field.”

“I know what it’s like to be beat by a biological male in my own sport,” Madison Kenyon, 19, a sophomore runner at Idaho State University, told ABC News. “I’ve seen them beat some of the fastest girls in this nation. … We’re not here for a participation trophy. We’ve been working so hard. We’ve been making so many sacrifices, and we’re not just here to participate. We want to compete, and we want to compete on a fair playing field.”

Chelsea Mitchell, 18, is another cisgender woman who says she lost several state track titles after running against two trans girls in high school. Mitchell came in third place, behind the two transgender girls.

“Personally, I lost four state championships … and countless other opportunities to advance to meet, to place,” she said. “So, I decided to speak out, because I believe that this was unfair for me and my other competitors.”

They’ve both said their position is not based on hate or anti-trans sentiment but about fairness and opportunity in their sport.

“I think that everyone should have a place to compete and everyone has a right to participate in sports, but the question is, where is that most fair?” Kenyon said. “For female athletes, it’s most fair for biological women to be competing against biological women.”

Joanna Harper, one of the world’s leading researchers on transitioning athletes, who is a trans woman athlete herself, said the science and biology related to who has an advantage in sports are more nuanced than these laws make it seem.

“Many critics of transgender women have suggested that trans women have unfair advantages over gender or typical women, and it is certainly true that as a population group, trans women do have athletic advantages over [cisgender] women,” she said. “We do, however, allow advantages in sports.”

For example, Harper said it’s not uncommon in baseball for left-handed players to have some advantages over right-handed players. Athletic abilities vary regardless of the gender someone is assigned at birth, she said.

Moreover, she said, the hormone replacement therapy that a trans woman undergoes during transition changes her body in a way that allows “trans women and [cisgender] women to compete against one another in a meaningful fashion in most sports.”

“I would suggest that it is never the right response to outright ban trans athletes,” Harper said, adding that she believes that for all sports at all levels, “there is some set of solutions that can be implemented … and still allow for trans women to be integrated within women’s sports.”

-----------------------------------------------------

There are biological women with legitimate concerns. How can one claim to be an advocate for women when summarily dismissing their position? Does not compute for me.

Joanna makes a good point, that at the very least this is a nuanced discussion with merit all around and people need to respect that. I have not come to hold a particular firm position on this issue but I despise the idea that everyone on one particular side of this is said to be motivated by hate.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/trans-women-targeted-sports-bans-advantage/story?id=76909090

Last edited:

I respect your opinion and I respectfully disagree. I also have no issues whatsoever with trans people. They have every right that everyone has. But I draw the line at the reality that they are biologically born in a gender and their body naturally follows that gender until they make the choice to medically intervene.

No one is vilifying trans people here. But again I ask you, why is it so important to you to force biological females to have to compete with biological males?

If you listen to them they're already losing out. Take us in this thread out of it... what is the message to the biological girls that are upset? That they're hateful? And what exactly is the ask here? That we log all examples out there until we meet some magical threshold where it's ok to ask questions or take action?

Took 2 secs to pull this up from earlier this month.

-------------------------------------------------------

Chelsea Mitchell, 18, is another cisgender woman who says she lost several state track titles after running against two trans girls in high school. Mitchell came in third place, behind the two transgender girls.

“Personally, I lost four state championships … and countless other opportunities to advance to meet, to place,” she said. “So, I decided to speak out, because I believe that this was unfair for me and my other competitors.”

They’ve both said their position is not based on hate or anti-trans sentiment but about fairness and opportunity in their sport.

“I think that everyone should have a place to compete and everyone has a right to participate in sports, but the question is, where is that most fair?” Kenyon said. “For female athletes, it’s most fair for biological women to be competing against biological women.”

Joanna Harper, one of the world’s leading researchers on transitioning athletes, who is a trans woman athlete herself, said the science and biology related to who has an advantage in sports are more nuanced than these laws make it seem.

“Many critics of transgender women have suggested that trans women have unfair advantages over gender or typical women, and it is certainly true that as a population group, trans women do have athletic advantages over [cisgender] women,” she said. “We do, however, allow advantages in sports.”

For example, Harper said it’s not uncommon in baseball for left-handed players to have some advantages over right-handed players. Athletic abilities vary regardless of the gender someone is assigned at birth, she said.

Moreover, she said, the hormone replacement therapy that a trans woman undergoes during transition changes her body in a way that allows “trans women and [cisgender] women to compete against one another in a meaningful fashion in most sports.”

“I would suggest that it is never the right response to outright ban trans athletes,” Harper said, adding that she believes that for all sports at all levels, “there is some set of solutions that can be implemented … and still allow for trans women to be integrated within women’s sports.”

-----------------------------------------------------

There are biological women with legitimate concerns. How can one claim to be an advocate for women when summarily dismissing their position? Does not compute for me.

Joanna makes a good point, that at the very least this is a nuanced discussion with merit all around and people need to respect that. I have not come to hold a particular firm position on this issue but I despise the idea that everyone on one particular side of this is said to be motivated by hate.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/trans-women-targeted-sports-bans-advantage/story?id=76909090
Agree that it’s a nuanced discussion but it’s a false equivalence to say that it’s similar to the difference between right and left handed players. That type of logic doesn’t really help the discussion.

I respect your opinion and I respectfully disagree. I also have no issues whatsoever with trans people. They have every right that everyone has. But I draw the line at the reality that they are biologically born in a gender and their body naturally follows that gender until they make the choice to medically intervene.

No one is vilifying trans people here. But again I ask you, why is it so important to you to force biological females to have to compete with biological males?
They definitely are being vilified here. People acting like they’re just lurking, waiting to take sports spots away from biological females. Before that, trans individuals were just waiting in bathrooms waiting to peek at and rape others. People intentionally using the wrong gender, people suggesting this is a choice. One weird trick to be an elite athlete I guess.

My posts have specifically mentioned trans individuals on hormone therapy. That suppresses biological expressions of their born sex, which doesn’t match their gender identity. If someone is on HRT, their hormone levels should be within normal ranges of the gender they identify with. If that’s the case, I don’t see a reason to force them to compete in a sport with the gender they don’t identify with. Especially if they were able to start prior to puberty.

If we want nuance, that’s what any sort of legislation could have clarified. Instead, it went down the path of showing genitals and birth certificates and other things. Maximum humiliation and ostracization. Similar to other legislation across the country attempting to ban individuals from HRT and other medical interventions that support their gender identity.

Last edited:

Your post is lack of understanding personified.
You're dealing with shitbags. Just call them names and be done with it.

Why are you defending women on this issue? I'm just curious why you think they are incapable of competing with men.

Why are you defending women on this issue? I'm just curious why you think they are incapable of competing with men.
Because I was an athlete growing up and you can’t ignore the biological advantage males have over females. Even in sports where you’d think there is a more even field, like golf, women have not been able to equal the men. Look at the objective sports, like track or swimming, and the records for women compared to men.

But hey, if we want to follow BS’s and get rid of gender-based divisions, then I’m fine with that. But if we are going to have the divisions, they should be respected.

They definitely are being vilified here. People acting like they’re just lurking, waiting to take sports spots away from biological females. Before that, trans individuals were just waiting in bathrooms waiting to peek at and rape others. People intentionally using the wrong gender, people suggesting this is a choice. One weird trick to be an elite athlete I guess.

My posts have specifically mentioned trans individuals on hormone therapy. That suppresses biological expressions of their born sex, which doesn’t match their gender identity. If someone is on HRT, their hormone levels should be within normal ranges of the gender they identify with. If that’s the case, I don’t see a reason to force them to compete in a sport with the gender they don’t identify with. Especially if they were able to start prior to puberty.

If we want nuance, that’s what any sort of legislation could have clarified. Instead, it went down the path of showing genitals and birth certificates and other things. Maximum humiliation and ostracization. Similar to other legislation across the country attempting to ban individuals from HRT and other medical interventions that support their gender identity.
I get your point on the pre-puberty hormone treatments. If that were reliably certifiable, then sure, I’ll buy it. But you’re arguing for nuance in a society that has thrown that away. Therefore, you’re not allowed to even test or ask anymore. Therein lies the obvious opportunity for exploitation. I would far prefer that we go back to taking nuanced approaches to everything.

Because I was an athlete growing up and you can’t ignore the biological advantage males have over females. Even in sports where you’d think there is a more even field, like golf, women have not been able to equal the men. Look at the objective sports, like track or swimming, and the records for women compared to men.

But hey, if we want to follow BS’s and get rid of gender-based divisions, then I’m fine with that. But if we are going to have the divisions, they should be respected.
So how long do you have to hear the narrative that men and women are equal in every way before you give them what they want? I'm cool with having men compete with women on an equal footing in every aspect of society and that meritocracy is proven to be an undeniable fact of life.

So how long do you have to hear the narrative that men and women are equal in every way before you give them what they want? I'm cool with having men compete with women on an equal footing in every aspect of society and that meritocracy is proven to be an undeniable fact of life.
Holy Exaggeration, Batman! What women want is EQUAL pay for EQUAL work. Is that too much to ask?

Holy Exaggeration, Batman! What women want is EQUAL pay for EQUAL work. Is that too much to ask?
I dont understand why that is an exaggeration. Women and equal to men. There is no reason whatsoever that they should be protected from competition from men, whether it be in athletics or in business.

So girls play professional basketball riiight? Is that equal pay value to men? Have you done anything ever in business?
Did you see me comment on the USA women's soccer thread?

For the record, NO, I don't believe female professional athletes should be paid the same as the men. It's all about the revenue they generate -- same with entertainers. It's all about their box office.

But what is your excuse for not paying women holding regular jobs the same as men in the same office doing the exact, same thing? That's the real issue.

Did you see me comment on the USA women's soccer thread?

For the record, NO, I don't believe female professional athletes should be paid the same as the men. It's all about the revenue they generate -- same with entertainers. It's all about their box office.

But what is your excuse for not paying women holding regular jobs the same as men in the same office doing the exact, same thing? That's the real issue.
Oh my. This should go well.

The best quote from the below that lay bare your idiocy: “The “gender wage gap” is as real as unicorns and has been killed more times than Michael Myers.”

So a professional basketball player that plays 48 minutes should be paid the same regardless of gender.

Please go on, this is going well for you.
What part of my previous post didn't you understand?

Trans individuals have always existed. They didn’t suddenly start existing in 2021. Given that, it should be real easy to produce plenty of examples of people “losing out.”
nobody is pretending mental illness is a new thing

Cancel culture is not new. It’s been used fir decades to suppress those who speak up. It was used to suppress abolitionist press, civil rights and most recently attempts to speak out against police aggression. You just don’t like the consequences of it being used against Republican power.

Reactions: DaShuckster
Cancel culture is not new. It’s been used fir decades to suppress those who speak up. It was used to suppress abolitionist press, civil rights and most recently attempts to speak out against police aggression. You just don’t like the consequences of it being used against Republican power.
Nobody is cancelling people who speak out against police aggression. The exact opposite is happening as businesses that support the police are losing contracts with universities, governmental organization, and media providers. Anti-police activists are being enriched in today’s society while never actually addressing the real issues with the communities and with police-community relations. The people that are actually trying to do this work, and succeeding in some places, aren’t out protesting in front of any camera they can get to record them.

You mean the ones that deny science and biology? Start with chromosomes as the beginning. Maybe check if a man has ovaries or can have a baby🙄 maybe look up testosterone and how it leads to muscle development.
We're talking human psychology, dumbass.

Back in the 1950s and early sixties, any deviation from heterosexuality was considered a mental illness -- you know, like you still opine.

I'm talking simple biology and a science that never changes. How it relates to physical advantages playing girls sports as a biological born male. If you can’t understand basic science I can't help you.
Oooooooooh, Doctor KNIGHTTIME is now Scientist KNIGHTTIME. Yeah, nobody knows about viral science and human sexuality like you. :)

Do away with Title 9. Problem solved.
I'm 100% for Title IX. I want women's sports to not continue, but flourish, and become as well funded as men's. Same with seeing more women in STEM, and hopefully C-level does equalize in just another generation as some predict.

But destroying things without due process has undermined it. I think we've had a good decade of seeing this happen.

I'm all for fair pay and sharing, I wish that would be the focus. But destroying things, people's lives, without a real hearing, that's just stupid.

And I do think if this isn't addressed, we will see the end of women's sports, and the whole purpose for them. That would be a negative in the eyes of many women, but like end of segmented bathrooms, I'm all for unisex ones out of sheer simplicity

No more waiting on stalls... for anyone. Now no more 'askerisks' for anyone. Women will lose, but that's what some want I guess.

I mean, biologically born women are bigots for asking for biologically born men transgenders have to take certain chemicals?

Oh, I forgot, it's bigotry to even suggest biologically born men have significant, physical advantages and, more specially, can be limited with chemicals, and usually are for transgender.

This is where political correctness >> biology and chemistry. Sigh... needs to stop.

Last edited:
I'm 100% for Title IX. I want women's sports to not continue, but flourish, and become as well funded as men's. Same with seeing more women in STEM, and hopefully C-level does equalize in just another generation as some predict.

But destroying things without due process has undermined it. I think we've had a good decade of seeing this happen.

I'm all for fair pay and sharing, I wish that would be the focus. But destroying things, people's lives, without a real hearing, that's just stupid.

And I do think if this isn't addressed, we will see the end of women's sports, and the whole purpose for them. That would be a negative in the eyes of many women, but like end of segmented bathrooms, I'm all for unisex ones out of sheer simplicity

No more waiting on stalls... for anyone. Now no more 'askerisks' for anyone. Women will lose, but that's what some want I guess.

I mean, biologically born women are bigots for asking for biologically born men transgenders have to take certain chemicals?

Oh, I forgot, it's bigotry to even suggest biologically born men have significant, physical advantages and, more specially, can be limited with chemicals, and usually are for transgender.

This is where political correctness >> biology and chemistry. Sigh... needs to stop.

Title 9 cannot exist if we allow transgendered people to compete in whatever sport they want. It's as simple as that.

Reactions: UCFBS
ADVERTISEMENT