ADVERTISEMENT

Florida State’s Mike Norvell to take 25% pay cut (as a covid cost cutting measure)

CFKnight

Silver Knight
Aug 5, 2009
I wouldn't volunteer for a pay cut even under the current circumstances. Money is money and you don't know what your future is going to be like. He did just get the gig. They could implode and then when he gets fired he has to take a big pay cut at a new gig. FSU has a bazillion dollars to spend. If they don't, they need to really look into how they are managing their money.

We don't know the story, though, like you said. Maybe it is what you indicated. Maybe by volunteering to take a pay cut the rest of his staff doesn't have to take a pay cut. I guess we only know what we know, and unless he gives a reason we won't.

Reactions: Knight Strength
He should have hired a lawyer. FSU is a program that has the money. Now they know they can push him around. I hope we continue to see FSU football achieve very little in the coming years.

He should have hired a lawyer. FSU is a program that has the money. Now they know they can push him around. I hope we continue to see FSU football achieve very little in the coming years.

They’re really struggling with money apparently. Not exactly sure how that’s possible given their tv deal. But from what I understand they’re laying off ppl in athletics and reducing their budget by 25%.

Their season ticket sales are the lowest they’ve ever been and fewer and fewer ppl are going to Tallahassee for games. It’s not an easy place to get to and the time, effort, and money for ppl is waning on them. If they’re not winning ppl aren’t going.

They’re really struggling with money apparently. Not exactly sure how that’s possible given their tv deal. But from what I understand they’re laying off ppl in athletics and reducing their budget by 25%.

Their season ticket sales are the lowest they’ve ever been and fewer and fewer ppl are going to Tallahassee for games. It’s not an easy place to get to and the time, effort, and money for ppl is waning on them. If they’re not winning ppl aren’t going.
I've heard some of that was going on. I guess that's why we don't hear from their fans these days.

I think I'd be pretty pissed if I was Norvell and I signed a contract at a dream job and 6 months later they lowered my pay by 25%. I think I remember they built a shiny new football building a couple of years ago.

What is the mentality there? Hire WT who has a losing record and we can't succeed?!? WTs recruiting couldn't make us successful and our shiny new fb building isn't making us successful... so let's fire WT and pay his buyout. Then we're strapped for cash and hitting some bumps in the road so let's cut the new head coaches salary and see if that helps things. Sounds like terrible management. Maybe they'll be in the market for a new AD before the end of 2021?

I think this should put him I good graces with the program and buy him an extra one or two years of leash if the program still struggles under his tenure. A program like FSU shouldn't get comfortable becoming a coaching carousel, it really shows instability.
But who knows, it's a business they could fire him after 2 years and pretend like he didn't take a pay cut for them.

Reactions: Knight Strength
I think that the WT buyout just killed them. Obviously, there had to be some other areas in which they didn’t manage their athletic budget properly at the end of the Jimbo tenure. Then came losing seasons followed by a major decrease in fans going to games. Now they are in a major bind

Reactions: KnightVision82
FSU averaged over 30,000 empty seats per home game last year as tucket, booster and game day revenue for them dropped like a rock.

FSU Athletics already laid off 25 staff and now those remaining will see salary reductions.

Everyone there is impacted...including obviously the person with the richest contract on campus: Football HC.

If there is no season, there is going to be a lot of pay cuts all around. Or expect ticket prices to get raised for future seasons, begging of donations, or athletic facility projects shelved indefinitely. Having reduced pay for a coaching staff who will essentially be paid to stay home for the year is better of all the options. Not like any university is going to commit millions of dollars to steal an unhappy coach, coaches are stuck. And if they can't convince head coach, they will go after the support staff.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...imates-40-million-revenue-loss-no-fall-sports

ADVERTISEMENT