ADVERTISEMENT

Florida State & Clemson to the XII??!?

DaShuckster

Diamond Knight
Nov 30, 2003
I heard this rumor hit the interwebs yesterday and was surprised there hasn't been any comments about it here. It sounds like Yormark is willing to make those schools (and I also heard Notre Dame mentioned) the highest paid programs in CFB if they joined the Big XII.

It may just be summer talk but if Yormark could actually pull this off, the future landscape could be a three conference super league.

UCF should help Clemson and block FSU. Let them wallow with duh canes & bulls in the AAC. Lol. Just trying to spur the summertime silly season. :p Charge On.

• Haha
Reactions: KnightMatt8
Big 1G wont take either because they are not AAU. They are being blocked by SEC by other members (Florida and SC east).

Big 12 is actually a smart move. FSU, Clemson, NC and (Duke, Pitt, NC State, Virgina)

Never going to happen. But I do believe this was a shot to the ACC to make us appear stronger in hopes that when destabilization happens we can go raid Miami, Louisville, Nc State, and Va Tech.

FSU and Clemson would both take reduced shares in the B10 or SEC for several years before they joined the B12. Only way those schools even remotely consider the B12 is if both the B10 and SEC say no, we don't want you.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't want them in the B12. They would be just a bunch of entitled snobs demanding significantly more money than everyone else, like TX and OU were when they were bossing around the other B12 members.

Lol. This is all b.s. It was leaked by either FSU or Clemson to help with SEC negations. I personally hope they both go to the Lil 12. It would guarantee a spot for Miami in the B10.

The only thing this shows is that the Lil 12 is willing to pay up to get a national football brand.

FSU and Clemson would both take reduced shares in the B10 or SEC for several years before they joined the B12. Only way those schools even remotely consider the B12 is if both the B10 and SEC say no, we don't want you.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't want them in the B12. They would be just a bunch of entitled snobs demanding significantly more money than everyone else, like TX and OU were when they were bossing around the other B12 members.
I can understand that thinking. But if there is any truth to these reports, Yormark is putting the conference in a position where it's possible they could crash the B1G/SEC party and make it a three-conference league down the road.

The only trouble with this strategy is that it's going to take some serious $$$$ for programs to compete in this future Big Dawg league. Frankly, I see it as a genius strategy to give extra money goes to FSU, Clemson, or ND to entice them to make the jump to the Big XII. But if Yormark is successful, UCF and other others still need more money if they hope to compete at a championship level with the B1G and SEC teams as well as their own conference programs getting special treatment.

Last edited:
I wonder if using PE money to assist in their buyouts would be attractive enough to get them to take equal shares. Then everyone could potentially win, PE included on the next round of TV contract negotiations.

Haha, this one’s good. Love all the Twitter posts about all of this. Could be nothing, I feel like it’s unlikely even, but when there’s smoke….

The Notre Dame is definently a pipe dream. They aren't in Big Ten because they want more than what they will offer, not because they are not wanted. They would make Texas seem like they were benevolent.

FSU and Clemson are not only going to request higher payouts, but they aren't going to make the same mistake with ACC agreeing to a long term deal. They will likely have provisions that allows them to bolt the moment the big 2 conferences extend an offer.

B12 doesn't have really any other options, but even with these additions. Any team in the conference including UCF would drop B12 is a second if they got called up by the other two conferences.

FSU and Clemson are not only going to request higher payouts, but they aren't going to make the same mistake with ACC agreeing to a long term deal. They will likely have provisions that allows them to bolt the moment the big 2 conferences extend an offer.
Yormark has shown he's willing to 'think outside the box' in order to make the Big XII a player in the Super League Sweepstakes. He has to be well-aware that neither of these two Big Dawgs are going to commit to anything long-term. On the other hand, if the Big XII wants to be a viable option for some form of CFB Super League, (IMO) they need Clemson and Florida State.

I think Yormark has already laid his cards on the table. I read somewhere where he's guaranteed them the opportunity to be The Highest Paid Programs in CFB. IMO, THAT is the kind of enticement that could actually work. Once the Super League is formed, all the rules going forward will change anyway. But he's betting the upfront money (especially if they make significantly less up-front as newbies in the SEC or B1G) will keep them in the fold long enough for him to work his magic in negotiating a Super League with three conferences instead of two.

Whether it works or not, I've gotta admire Yormark for his gamesmanship.

Yormark has shown he's willing to 'think outside the box' in order to make the Big XII a player in the Super League Sweepstakes. He has to be well-aware that neither of these two Big Dawgs are going to commit to anything long-term. On the other hand, if the Big XII wants to be a viable option for some form of CFB Super League, (IMO) they need Clemson and Florida State.

I think Yormark has already laid his cards on the table. I read somewhere where he's guaranteed them the opportunity to be The Highest Paid Programs in CFB. IMO, THAT is the kind of enticement that could actually work. Once the Super League is formed, all the rules going forward will change anyway. But he's betting the upfront money (especially if they make significantly less up-front as newbies in the SEC or B1G) will keep them in the fold long enough for him to work his magic in negotiating a Super League with three conferences instead of two.

Whether it works or not, I've gotta admire Yormark for his gamesmanship.
Serious questions.

If given entry into the Big 12, what is stopping Free Shoes U and Clempson from demanding and receiving the same influence and power that Texas and Chokelahoma weilded in the Big 12? Is CFP relevancy worth trading one blue blood oligarchy for another?

Last edited:
Serious questions.

If given entry into the Big 12, what is stopping Free Shoes U and Clampson from demanding and receiving the same influence and power that Texas and Chokelahoma welded in the Big 12? Is CFP relevancy worth trading one blue blood oligarchy for another?
Neither Florida State or Clemson is as valuable as Texas and Oklahoma, it looks weak that Big 12 will treat them like crown jewels.

Also if FSU wants to use this new found power, which conference mate do you think they will lobby to weaken.

Okay, I'm gonna say this again. We don't need to offer them more money to join the big twelve, there is no way they're going to the Big 10 or SEC.

Neither FSU and Clemson are AAU members. The Big 10 has already laid this out and rejected them on that ground. More likely to take Notre Dame. UNC, Virginia, Pitt or Miami. It is a huge reason Rutgers is in the Big 10.

Coincidentally, four SEC East teams have annual non-conference rivalry games: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, and South Carolina. If they all were adamant about not wanting their rivals to join the SEC, they could form a voting bloc that could successfully prevent entry for FSU and Clemson. (and possibly Louisville and Georgia Tech). I would also imagine Alabama in Georgia don't want FSU and Clemson in their backyard, recruiting grounds.

The "we are guaranteed to Big 10 or SEC" because of history/program etc. is just pipe dreams of the FSU and Clemson alum who see they are being left behind. Because 1- the factors listed above and 2- neither school is in a major media market.

Okay, I'm gonna say this again. We don't need to offer them more money to join the big twelve, there is no way they're going to the Big 10 or SEC.

Neither FSU and Clemson are AAU members. The Big 10 has already laid this out and rejected them on that ground. More likely to take Notre Dame. UNC, Virginia, Pitt or Miami. It is a huge reason Rutgers is in the Big 10.

Coincidentally, four SEC East teams have annual non-conference rivalry games: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, and South Carolina. If they all were adamant about not wanting their rivals to join the SEC, they could form a voting bloc that could successfully prevent entry for FSU and Clemson. (and possibly Louisville and Georgia Tech). I would also imagine Alabama in Georgia don't want FSU and Clemson in their backyard, recruiting grounds.

The "we are guaranteed to Big 10 or SEC" because of history/program etc. is just pipe dreams of the FSU and Clemson alum who see they are being left behind. Because 1- the factors listed above and 2- neither school is in a major media market.
Great reply. Maybe b12 can offer them 20-30% more than other members to jump ship but in doing so the b12 should lock them into the same time commitment as everyone else

I’m not seeing Pitt mentioned for the Big 12 here…
tenor.gif

No one in any league should get preferential treatment or benefits. That is a recipe for disaster and I don’t think that will ever happen. Yormark is too smart for that. I do believe the private equity and all the endorsement stuff will become more valuable and push conference revenues higher with the addition of some key ACC schools. Big12 already has higher payouts than the ACC and if adding in the additional funds, hey $10-15 mil more than what you had is better than nothing.

Of course all of this is moot if the ACC lawsuit and GOR doesn’t get settled. No ones paying hundreds of millions to get out and join the Big12. FSU, Clemson and others need to find the loop hole that shows them the way out.

I think the other factor is that the SEC and Big10 is pulling away, and it’s clear the Big12 and ACC can’t keep up. A third league could if combined with the best pieces of each of the two. I think adding FSU, Clemson, Miami and maybe 1-3 more would do that.

Reactions: Knight59 and Yaes
I think the other factor is that the SEC and Big10 is pulling away, and it’s clear the Big12 and ACC can’t keep up.
The thing that is becoming increasingly clear is that the question is no-so-much 'Who does the Big Ten and SEC take?' but 'Who outside of the B1G and SEC can afford to play Big Dawg CFB?' once the it will cost $22 million-plus annually just to pay the players.

Lol. This is all b.s. It was leaked by either FSU or Clemson to help with SEC negations. I personally hope they both go to the Lil 12. It would guarantee a spot for Miami in the B10.

The only thing this shows is that the Lil 12 is willing to pay up to get a national football brand.
Miami was never seriously in the conversation regarding the Big 10 or SEC. Click bait. Both conferences have a model that targets large, state flagship schools - Look at their additions, Maryland, Rutgers (NJ) Nebraska, Washington, Oregon, UCLA. The exception is USC. Miami is no USC. If the Big 10 does anything, they will target Virginia, North Carolina, as will the SEC. Both conferences may do nothing for the simple reason that they don't need more schools. Brett McMurphy states that Sankey is getting ready to move on some BB national brands.
Imagine Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina in the same conference. Could happen.

Not interested in any team that wants more money than everyone else. And fsu has proven to be a bad business partner.

It isn’t like these two chuckleheads are Alabama and Georgia.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT