ADVERTISEMENT

Flynn seeks immunity

He was required by law to register as a foreign agent. He did not. He withheld information from at least Pence.

I would too if I were him.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
Lol. RUSSIA!!!

Really though, Flynn screwed up big time by not being straight forward with Pence. He was highly regarded by both sides of the aisle. I wonder what skeletons he has in the closet to be asking for immunity. The Turkey thing isn't going to cause him any real trouble.

Lol. RUSSIA!!!

Really though, Flynn screwed up big time by not being straight forward with Pence. He was highly regarded by both sides of the aisle. I wonder what skeletons he has in the closet to be asking for immunity. The Turkey thing isn't going to cause him any real trouble.

I'm not sure you ask for immunity if you did nothing wrong. Why is he looking to cut deals? I think it's probably Turkey and his failure to register as a foreign agent. But it's pretty obvious he may be starting to get scared what the FBI and Senate stand to find. His lawyer flat out said that "Flynn has a story to tell" and it surrounds the current investigations.

Last edited:
I'm not sure you ask for immunity if you did nothing wrong. Why is he looking to cut deals? I think it's probably Turkey and his failure to register as a foreign agent or he is starting to get scared what the FBI and Senate stand to find.
If that is the extent of his transgressions, then he wouldn't need immunity. Those are already known and nothing that would land him in jail. Hell, f that were the extent, he probably wouldn't have needed to resign.

I'm not sure you ask for immunity if you did nothing wrong. Why is he looking to cut deals? I think it's probably Turkey and his failure to register as a foreign agent or he is starting to get scared what the FBI and Senate stand to find.
Considering his past, who knows what he has done. I would ask for immunity if I could get it for a parking ticket.

If you wish to talk with congress, I would ask for it. Even if you don't think you did anything wrong.

I'm sure people like bq don't remember this but all those baseball players that testified before congress in 2006 for the steroid stuff which included Sammy Sosa and Rafael Palmero, they also asked for immunity before they testified.

I'm sure people like bq don't remember this but all those baseball players that testified before congress in 2006 for the steroid stuff which included Sammy Sosa and Rafael Palmero, they also asked for immunity before they testified.

Yes, Sir G, I'm like 8 years old.

No. No they did not.

http://www.nytimes.com/learning/teachers/featured_articles/20050318friday.html

The players, who will appear in a panel format, will most likely be asked, under oath during the nationally televised hearings, whether they have used illegal steroids.

Immunity is not expected to be offered, and some of the players may invoke their Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.

The baseball players were not being sought for illegal activities, but rather to testify against MLB for sweeping steroids under the rug. There were to be no criminal charges against players considered. Canseco wanted immunity because he feared he was going to get sued for lilbel/slander, but even he wasn't granted it.

Several of those players simply refused to answer direct questions, or in the case of Rafael Palmeiro, flat out lied.

Reactions: Ace of Knights
No. No they did not.

The baseball players were not being sought for illegal activities, but rather to testify against MLB for sweeping steroids under the rug. There were to be no criminal charges against players considered. Canseco wanted immunity because he feared he was going to get sued for lilbel/slander, but even he wasn't granted it.

Several of those players simply refused to answer direct questions, or in the case of Rafael Palmeiro, flat out lied.
Without bothering to read your links , those guys were concerned about their personal status as well which led them to seek immunity

No. No they did not.

http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Canseco-seeks-immunity-in-steroid-probe-111378.php

http://www.espn.in/mlb/news/story?id=2005291

again, I said only Canseco sought immunity - and he didn't get it.

And this quote form the ESPN article

However, Canseco told ESPN's Pedro Gomez that he does not believe he needs immunity from prosecution in order to testify and that he is definitely leaning toward accepting the invitation from Congress.
"I have nothing to hide,'' Canseco told Gomez. "Everything I have to say is in my book, but if they want me to go, I'll be there. It will be interesting if others go and hide behind the Fifth Amendment. If that happens, well, I think people can make up their own minds when it comes to those types of answers.''

again, I said only Canseco sought immunity - and he didn't get it.

And this quote form the ESPN article
Bob, as I said in a prior post, I take you as a smart person. Would you go before any investigative body that can ask any question and not ask for immunity?

All the Clinton associates wanted immunity before they testified. It really doesn't matter if you know you've done something wrong. It's the thing you did that you didn't think was illegal that actually is or saying something that could possibly incriminate yourself. Flynn doesn't have to testify, he wants to but doesn't want to be on the end of a lib witch hunt if he in fact has nothing to hide.

Bob, as I said in a prior post, I take you as a smart person. Would you go before any investigative body that can ask any question and not ask for immunity?
In reality, I would ask my lawyer, and for good measure bring him with me. Just for laughs, I'd probably go all Martin Shkreli and just answer every question with "I plead the 5th"

But it really depends on the situation. Thankfully, I have never been put in that situation. Like many things, I don't really see it as a black and white yes or no absolute. If I had done nothing wrong, and I am not in a position to perjure myself, I don't think I would need it, but I'd ask my lawyer first.

What really hints at impropriety for Flynn is the fact that he's offering to testify in exchange for immunity. The baseball players didn't offer to testify, they were subpoenaed, and even then most of them didn't ask for immunity. Flynn hasn't been subpoenaed just yet, IIRC.

Here's a good article on the subject.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news..._experimentrandom_1_na&utm_term=.0803dfb643aa

Remember: Defense attorneys generally are quick to advise clients not to talk to prosecutors at all. That Flynn’s attorney publicly demonstrated his willingness to “tell his story” under the cover of immunity gives us a hint of what the strategy might be. As Alex Whiting also noted at the blog Just Security, Flynn’s attorney may be hoping that Congress, not prosecutors, grant him immunity before he tells them anything. Congress can’t make Flynn immune from prosecution, but lawmakers can make his testimony immune from being used against him — as has famously been done in the past.

I'm not a lawyer (perhaps a lawyer can jump in here), but my understanding is there are different types of immunity. There's full immunity for a crime in exchange for information, but there's also immunity from using testimony to further an investigation or self-incriminate. Flynn is asking for the latter. He doesn't want to plead the fifth but he also doesn't want his testimony used against him. Again, not a lawyer, but I wonder whether this is a strategy to help insulate himself from any wrongdoing by making evidence inadmissible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT