ADVERTISEMENT

Football Culture

KnightVision82

Diamond Knight
Jan 26, 2004
I think for many our concern for the culture of this team has been major next to winning games.
It's great to see the culture continue to improve. Playing college sports is a grind to say the least and you have to let the athletes have some fun, especially if you are holding them to a higher level of behavior compared to other college students. I love the culture we have now and believe it will keep us in contention for many good seasons moving forward because it will attract good recruits :)

Listen to past players...

I think for many our concern for the culture of this team has been major next to winning games.
It's great to see the culture continue to improve. Playing college sports is a grind to say the least and you have to let the athletes have some fun, especially if you are holding them to a higher level of behavior compared to other college students. I love the culture we have now and believe it will keep us in contention for many good seasons moving forward because it will attract good recruits :)

I like stuff like this too. I do consider culture a priority, specifically a positive and uplifting culture. I never want to be a team that is full of criminals but fans overlook it because we get Ws.

Reactions: KnightVision82

Our culture is great...as long as we are winning. Then it is not. It all comes down to wins and losses. There are programs with "great cultures" that lose or have mediocre records. The minute that happens everyone will be crying for a new new staff and new culture.

Our culture is great...as long as we are winning. Then it is not. It all comes down to wins and losses. There are programs with "great cultures" that lose or have mediocre records. The minute that happens everyone will be crying for a new new staff and new culture.

I stand corrected. The culture was great every other year with the statue.

We had a better culture with Coach K and won games with him. The issue back then was that he couldn't discipline his players off the field. Otherwise, he would have stayed and we would have moved forward from the success with Daunte. It's important, especially with the kids we have today to allow them to express themselves as they work. "Yelling Silence (Be quiet)!" and treating them like children or 2nd class citizens doesn't work anymore.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
We had a better culture with Coach K and won games with him. The issue back then was that he couldn't discipline his players off the field. Otherwise, he would have stayed and we would have moved forward from the success with Daunte. It's important, especially with the kids we have today to allow them to express themselves as they work. "Yelling Silence (Be quiet)!" and treating them like children or 2nd class citizens doesn't work anymore.

I'll never forget when my freshman year 2003, our starting corner Omar Laurence was arrested and kicked off the team for having a loaded AK 47 in his car during a traffic stop on campus. That team/era was wild!

I will never understand some UCF fan's love affair with the Coach K era. We did not win. Daunte gave us one very good year in 1998 in which we lost to the only teams that had any value. I was there. I drank the kool-aide for a while but it was not a good time for UCF. Here is coach K's record

1998 9-2
1999-4-7
2000 7-4
2001 6-5
2002 7-5
2003 3-9

Would any of you accept this record today?

All of this while playing mostly low level D1 and some D1aa teams. WE lost to all P5 programs except the 3-8 Alabama team (which is great to rub in their faces). Kruz left our program a complete disaster. It was not his fault alone, the AD sucked as well. Yes he had less to work with and less support, but the culture was a toxic, undisciplined excuse filled mess.

If you were into "almost wins and moral victories" then I guess you could think this was a great culture. The culture GOL brought in was exactly what was needed. Discipline, professionalism, academics, instant recognition, focus on conference rather than just big games and yes winning. As much winning as any other "mid major" not called Boise. What "works" is what gets results. Kids may not have felt the warm and fuzzy from GOL but guess what the same is true of coaches like Nick Saben. The new culture worked for Frost and I hope it works for Huep. But if there is no winning you guys will turn on him in a second, guaranteed.

This place runs in here and swings his frosty junk around, then leaves for farmville and you guys swoon. The statue comes in here and growls at players and yells at clouds, but stays for the longhaul and you guys turn your back. Blow.

Reactions: Flem3000 and Mikesi
This place runs in here and swings his frosty junk around, then leaves for farmville and you guys swoon. The statue comes in here and growls at players and yells at clouds, but stays for the longhaul and you guys turn your back. Blow.

This Place won a national championship and got better every year. The Statue had 12 yo-yo seasons. I would rather take the coach that wins quick and leaves. I won't be mad at Track Suit if he goes 28-0 and leaves for more money.

This Place won a national championship and got better every year. The Statue had 12 yo-yo seasons. I would rather take the coach that wins quick and leaves. I won't be mad at Track Suit if he goes 28-0 and leaves for more money.
Track suit. LOL.

Reactions: Mikesi
I will never understand some UCF fan's love affair with the Coach K era. We did not win. Daunte gave us one very good year in 1998 in which we lost to the only teams that had any value. I was there. I drank the kool-aide for a while but it was not a good time for UCF. Here is coach K's record

1998 9-2
1999-4-7
2000 7-4
2001 6-5
2002 7-5
2003 3-9

Would any of you accept this record today?

All of this while playing mostly low level D1 and some D1aa teams. WE lost to all P5 programs except the 3-8 Alabama team (which is great to rub in their faces). Kruz left our program a complete disaster. It was not his fault alone, the AD sucked as well. Yes he had less to work with and less support, but the culture was a toxic, undisciplined excuse filled mess.

If you were into "almost wins and moral victories" then I guess you could think this was a great culture. The culture GOL brought in was exactly what was needed. Discipline, professionalism, academics, instant recognition, focus on conference rather than just big games and yes winning. As much winning as any other "mid major" not called Boise. What "works" is what gets results. Kids may not have felt the warm and fuzzy from GOL but guess what the same is true of coaches like Nick Saben. The new culture worked for Frost and I hope it works for Huep. But if there is no winning you guys will turn on him in a second, guaranteed.
Tough to win when you have quite a few FCS level recruits on team. We weren’t in a conference and couldn’t pitch even a conference crown. Only good recruits we could get were transfers and qualifying risks.

You guys are cracking me up. Some funny shit. Frosty and GOL both did a lot for this program in their own way. Coach K had little to work with, but he did run an undisciplined program

Tough to win when you have quite a few FCS level recruits on team. We weren’t in a conference and couldn’t pitch even a conference crown. Only good recruits we could get were transfers and qualifying risks.

Tough yes. Culture of don't go to class. Not in shape. Not professional. They acted like and FCS program because that was all they had ever known. It took someone with experience and vision to build the roots of UCF program. Every coach since will be the recipient of that base.

Got better every year in two years. Not a tough thing to do

Lol at track suit

There is a poor sample size for Frost. This would have been his first actual test. His tenure here was 20-7? The team still had talent, discipline, and professionalism. They were lacking in morale as GOL had the mentality that the beatings will continue until morale improves. As far as GOL goes, I thought he improved our team every year for over a decade. He got us into the best conferences we were eligible for, and competed. He brought us to conference championships, he brought us bowl wins, he brought us BCS Bowl wins. That wasn’t something UCF was used to. We took great strides during GOL’s tenure. His one dark spot is the death of Plancher.

There is a poor sample size for Frost. This would have been his first actual test. His tenure here was 20-7? The team still had talent, discipline, and professionalism. They were lacking in morale as GOL had the mentality that the beatings will continue until morale improves. As far as GOL goes, I thought he improved our team every year for over a decade. He got us into the best conferences we were eligible for, and competed. He brought us to conference championships, he brought us bowl wins, he brought us BCS Bowl wins. That wasn’t something UCF was used to. We took great strides during GOL’s tenure. His one dark spot is the death of Plancher.

Agreed: But UCF was ready for and needed a change when he left. I have said before that 0-12 was probably the best thing that UCF could have done that year. It ran Key out of the building, it made GOL step down as AD (that was a disaster), brought Danny White and it brought Frost and a fresh new start to UCF. IF UCF wins even 2 games in 2015 I am not sure all those stars would align.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT