ADVERTISEMENT

Frost banking on his boys...

UseeF

Four-Star Recruit
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2013
I don't plan on going back and fact checking myself so please correct me if you feel I'm inaccurate.

I thought frost had a little more change in his pocket to bring in some solid assistant coaches.. Not excited about anyone so far.. However, it could pay off and everything goes wonderful and according to plan, but from paper I'm not sold on anyone thus far.

At least bring in a south east guy who is a wonderful recruiter. None of these guys are from the southeast, and I'm still waiting to see s west coast kid commit here...

I'd like to think I'm an optimist, but this doesn't sit well for me..

Ughh, you're right. Please Frost, by the love of God go out there and crush it.

We brought in Callahan as the special Tampa / CFL recruiter after Kelly got canned. Nothing special came from him IMO.

Look, kids are either going to come here bc of what we offer or they won't. There is no secret or special asst coach who is going to magically be able to recruit 5 stars.

Frost offers a lot and so does UCF. Winning big trumps all of that. Be patient. It's the silent period.

Acording to the article I read, the new DC was considered the best recruiter at Oregon. He is bringing in mostly up and coming young guns. Until I have a reason not to... I will trust his judgement.

We should recruit well. Not sure about coaching or compliance though.

Reactions: UCFhonors
Frost certainly pushing young up and coming coaches who love to recruit and have ambitions of growing in the profession. I think his staff shows that he's not just paying lip service to making aggressive plays and staying on the attack. Young, aggressive, fast, in attack mode. I'm excited. Let's close out this recruiting cycle strong.

I thought the patchwork staff(esp. Walters) did a great job in a very short time before the dead period locally and in state while living out of a suitcase. Just bc a coach isn't born in the State of Florida it doesn't mean he won't have success recruiting here. Most staffs have a couple of coaches that anchor the recruiting, my guess at UCF it will be Frost and Walters.

I haven't been paying attention the past couple of weeks, what defense are we running ?

What did you expect? The guy played for some great coaches and all but let's be real.. His connections at this point in his career are pretty limited. GOL coached forever and had tons of connections. I'm confident in Frost and I think he'll do great but to expect him to bring in a big name ASSISTANT coach is a real stretch.
Also, recruiting will come. I think we need to get past the whole FL and southeast connection thing. I think Frost has shown in a couple weeks the dedication he'll have to recruit the state. Just chill..

What did you expect? The guy played for some great coaches and all but let's be real.. His connections at this point in his career are pretty limited. GOL coached forever and had tons of connections. I'm confident in Frost and I think he'll do great but to expect him to bring in a big name ASSISTANT coach is a real stretch.
Also, recruiting will come. I think we need to get past the whole FL and southeast connection thing. I think Frost has shown in a couple weeks the dedication he'll have to recruit the state. Just chill..

I understand your point on the connections. However, I never said "big name Assistant", i said at least a guy who might not be a big name but has a great track record of recruiting the SE. Notice im not saying FL, and i am definitely tied to the whole southeast connection thing. There is no argument that is where the best football players are, why would you not want to capitalize?

There is no argument that is where the best football players are, why would you not want to capitalize?
why are you saying Frost doesn't want to capitalize on FL players? That is all he has talked about and why he took this job. The reception of HS coaches and players has been great before the dead period & they don't seem to care that Walters or Frost are from the Midwest/West Coast. It's about being young/relatable, starting & building relationships w HS coaches(some already done before the dead period), and selling your system.

I think Frost has shown in a couple weeks the dedication he'll have to recruit the state. Just chill..
+1

I think if frost had Kevin Smith and Jeff Godfrey on his staff, both would come very cheaply, we would have more than enough South Florida recruiting ties.

Reactions: UseeF
We're definitely going with the young coaches here....sort of a 180 from the old man and staff.

Yes.., looks like young, hungry coaches with a lot of energy and great ideas with sound fundamentals as well are the in thing these days. You have to motivate players and get through to them. They want to succeed for a coach and system that the player believes in. Positive energy, feedback from the coaching staff. That was lacking in the past. Kind of like a brother or father figure. Urban Meyer and Jimbo Fisher are great like that.

I understand your point on the connections. However, I never said "big name Assistant", i said at least a guy who might not be a big name but has a great track record of recruiting the SE. Notice im not saying FL, and i am definitely tied to the whole southeast connection thing. There is no argument that is where the best football players are, why would you not want to capitalize?
Well we just took Oregon's 2 best recruiters.

Gentleman Gentleman, I love UCF and i want the best for us. I really hope my hesitation and anxiety is put to rest and we crush it. I would love the top two recruiters at Oregon to apply what they do on the west coast in the south. Im saying that because i have seen no mention from any west coast kids coming here, and we have not had one come on yet. I know we still have time, and many of of our new coaches just came on board, but i think its fair to have my reservations.

UCF once hired LSU's best recruiter...challenge is...its generally much tougher to recruit at UCF vs power teams that have everything (i.e. LSU, Oregon, etc...).

I would think that it's hard to get city or Florida/Texas kids to come to Oregon as well. If we start winning in flashy uniforms and challenging Houston as the team to beat in the conference, we'll be fine.

I would think that it's hard to get city or Florida/Texas kids to come to Oregon as well.

But its not...as Oregon has had some good success recruiting in TX and FL (heck, Frost landed a WR for Oregon from Volusia County last year).

There's a reason why Oregon spent over $120 Million on their football building (Univ said they spent just $73 Million...as they were embarrassed by the total costs). It works in attracting some good talent from all over the US.

All HCs want to bring in people that are familiar with the direction they like to lead their teams. He doesn't want to spend his first year all on schooling coaches and players.

This is probably the biggest reason why Frost would offer the QB who just left Oregon a scholarship at UCF too. He could lead the offense in practice until one of the QBs who are unfamiliar with his offense figures it out. (Note: The QB who just left Oregon doesn't look to have the top speed Frost is looking for but he could get playing time here at least in the beginning of the Frost years.)

UCF once hired LSU's best recruiter...challenge is...its generally much tougher to recruit at UCF vs power teams that have everything (i.e. LSU, Oregon, etc...).
the difference is UCF now has one of its main recruiters in the Head Coach role in Frost, that is a big deal in trying to close on some of these recruits. Even GOL's Inner Circle can concede that recruiting wasn't O'leary's strength

Not expecting miracles in the first cycle but him & the staff here at least shown how much they are grinding on the recruiting front, just look at all the '17 offers they threw out already

Last edited:
Reactions: KnightVision82
the difference is UCF now has one of its main recruiters in the Head Coach role in Frost, that is a big deal in trying to close on some of these recruits. Even GOL's Inner Circle can concede that recruiting wasn't O'leary's strength

Not expecting miracles in the first cycle but him & the staff here at least shown how much they are grinding on the recruiting front, just look at all the '17 offers they threw out already

They're showing GOL and Frost's offers. You can look at the OLs and the NY/NJ/LA and tell that Frost didn't offer those.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT