ADVERTISEMENT

Frost Buyout

Miltonian

Bronze Knight
Jan 30, 2017
Just out of curiosity, his buyout goes directly back to UCF right? And is that immediate or within 2 years etc? Just curious if it could be basically applied to the Football Excellence Fund/fund a new coach.

Just out of curiosity, his buyout goes directly back to UCF right? And is that immediate or within 2 years etc? Just curious if it could be basically applied to the Football Excellence Fund/fund a new coach.
I think it’s a total of 3 or 4 million. Will be paid by the time he is officially announced I believe.

Reactions: Miltonian
Most reports have it at $3M and it is usually paid right after the coach leaves. But we would have to spread that out over multiple years on a new coach and you cannot pay him more early on than you can afford to pay him later. No coach is going to take a pay cut after that money runs out.

My personal opinion...if Danny White has a really top notch, splash hire, he would probably use about $500K per year to increase the new head coach salary. That means we would be able to go six years without worrying about where we would get the money to keep paying him that much.

By that time, the AAC will have a new, hopefully significantly higher TV contract. And if the "splash hire" does really well, the increase in ticket revenue would be able to cover that $500K by itself.

Most reports have it at $3M and it is usually paid right after the coach leaves. But we would have to spread that out over multiple years on a new coach and you cannot pay him more early on than you can afford to pay him later. No coach is going to take a pay cut after that money runs out.

My personal opinion...if Danny White has a really top notch, splash hire, he would probably use about $500K per year to increase the new head coach salary. That means we would be able to go six years without worrying about where we would get the money to keep paying him that much.

By that time, the AAC will have a new, hopefully significantly higher TV contract. And if the "splash hire" does really well, the increase in ticket revenue would be able to cover that $500K by itself.
I'm not saying they would, everyone knows the FEF is mainly to pay top tier coaches. If you add this in, we are at 8 million raised in 2 months. Not counting todays donations.

We can already afford to pay a coach 2 mill a year, no with this on a 4 year contract, we could afford a dam good coach up to 4 mill a year on a 4 year contract (obviously we dont want to hire someone at that rate, but its "possible")

That opens up our coaching pool tremendously.

The other option is to hire another coordinator looking to end up in the P5 ala Memphis with Norvell and then get another buyout check from a P5 in a few years. Let the teams that blow out coaches left and right pay us for ours.

The bigger the splash hire the more likely he is not going to utilize Frost's blueprints and seek to install their own scheme which could result in disruption for the first year.

I'm not saying they would, everyone knows the FEF is mainly to pay top tier coaches. If you add this in, we are at 8 million raised in 2 months. Not counting todays donations.

We can already afford to pay a coach 2 mill a year, no with this on a 4 year contract, we could afford a dam good coach up to 4 mill a year on a 4 year contract (obviously we dont want to hire someone at that rate, but its "possible")

That opens up our coaching pool tremendously.

Remember that the FEF was originally created to increase the assistant salary pool by $1.5M per year. I have no doubt that SOME of that could also go toward a new head coach. But some of that needs to go to attract decent assistants as well. There are what...10-13 assistants and S&C coordinators on a college football staff? The money in UCF's current assistant's pool doesn't go far.

You guys are forgetting that a lot of these are pledges. We don’t hire the next SF and next year the fund dries up

Remember that the FEF was originally created to increase the assistant salary pool by $1.5M per year. I have no doubt that SOME of that could also go toward a new head coach. But some of that needs to go to attract decent assistants as well. There are what...10-13 assistants and S&C coordinators on a college football staff? The money in UCF's current assistant's pool doesn't go far.
False, that was the intention to keep frosts staff. out of those 10-13, only a handful are making more than 100-200k, those being OC and DC. The rest are making good money but nothing to scarf at.

False, that was the intention to keep frosts staff. out of those 10-13, only a handful are making more than 100-200k, those being OC and DC. The rest are making good money but nothing to scarf at.

True...but look at our assistant salary pool and compare it with other G5 programs and bottom rung P5 programs. Our salary pool needs to be increased. I don't know the salaries of each individual on our staff. But even a salary of $150,000 is not very high for a profession where you can be out of work at the snap of a finger (either when the HC gets fired, or a HC moves to another school and does not take you with him).

How about steak and snow cones? Soy beans or soy products?
Soy?
d1EnQRJ.jpg

Interestingly, if Frost is gone, since I believe he got $1.7m last year and $2m this year (and I would assume that requires the bowl game so maybe less?) UCF likely only really had to pay him about $350k/year, so even though we thought we had one of the highest paid coaches in the AAC, it could turn out he was actually the cheapest...

Interestingly, if Frost is gone, since I believe he got $1.7m last year and $2m this year (and I would assume that requires the bowl game so maybe less?) UCF likely only really had to pay him about $350k/year, so even though we thought we had one of the highest paid coaches in the AAC, it could turn out he was actually the cheapest...
That’s some good ROI!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT