ADVERTISEMENT

Frost May Not Live up to the Hype

SCKnight

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
Interesting read from the land of Nobs

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/sport...al&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

While I agree that UCF made Frost look better than he is, there is no denying that his recruiting and motivation was spot on. His play calling year two was very good. But I also think he recruited a real diamond in the rough with Milton. I think UCF and Frost were a very good fit. Not so sure the same is true in Nobsville.

The real Question is will Heup live up to the hype....

Heup will live up to the hype. He is set up to win. Frost just doesn't have the firepower and his schedule is a lot harder. I said from day 1 with Frost that he had advantages over everyone in the league (except maybe Houston) with better facilities, more money and a better recruiting footprint. He doesn't have those advantages at Nebraska and the gap is much closer between Nebraska and the rest of the B10 vs UCF and the rest of the AAC. Frost was set up for life here and could have parlayed this job into an NFL HC job at some point or one of the true blue bloods like USC, Bama, Ohio State or Texas. He sold himself short based on emotions.

Last edited:
wow. Probably the first Nebraska based article that has done some research on UCF and how there are certain intangibles in place that make it an easy place to win at. You know I wasn't the biggest GOL fan and he went 12-1, if Heup does the same in getting to a New Years day Bowl it would be the 3rd HC in short time period to do it.

good stuff here:

Any decent coach could’ve walked into Orlando and done something similar to the turnaround Frost exhibited at UCF. Coaching in the state of Florida can be mastered by many coaches due to the ease of in-state recruiting. Florida was the No. 1 overall state for high school talent during the 2017 recruiting cycle, Frost’s first recruiting season as the UCF head coach, according to Bleacher Report.

The amount of elite, high school talent in the state of Florida has made it a very competitive football state. In fact, of the four Florida programs that received votes in the final AP Top 25 poll in 2017, three of them — UCF, South Florida and Florida Atlantic — weren’t from Power 5 conferences.

Even coaches who struggled at big-name programs have had early successes at smaller Florida schools.

Former Texas head coach Charlie Strong, who went 16-21 and never experienced a winning season in his three seasons with the Longhorns, went 10-2 and finished No. 21 in the AP Top 25 poll in his first season with South Florida in 2017.

Heup will live up to the hype. He is set up to win. Frost just doesn't have the firepower and his schedule is a lot harder. I said from day 1 with Frost that he had advantages over everyone in the league (except maybe Houston) with better facilities more money and a better recruiting footprint. He doesn't have those advantages at Nebraska and the gap is much closer between Nebraska and the rest of the B10 vs UCF and the rest of the AAC. Frost was set up for life here and could have parlayed this job into an NFL HC job at some point or one of the true blue bloods like USC, Bama, Ohio State or Texas. He sold himself short based on emotions.

Not sure I would qualify a guaranteed $35 million dollar payday as selling yourself short. A sell out maybe but not sold short. He parlayed a great situation for the best money deal he was likely to get. I agree he gave in to the peer pressure of the "come home to Nebraska" mumbo jumbo as did Vedral. If he does turn the Nobs around he will have my full admiration as a coach.

Last edited:
You know I wasn't the biggest GOL fan and he went 12-1, if Heup does the same in getting to a New Years day Bowl it would be the 3rd HC in short time period to do it..

As a GOL fan I agree. It would be telling of the opportunity and potential UCF has if Heup can pull it off. IMHO the biggest factor of making UCF such a great place is the OCS. Say what you want about the bounce house, but it has truly transformed this program into a real college football atmosphere no matter who is coaching.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Heup will live up to the hype. He is set up to win. Frost just doesn't have the firepower and his schedule is a lot harder. I said from day 1 with Frost that he had advantages over everyone in the league (except maybe Houston) with better facilities more money and a better recruiting footprint. He doesn't have those advantages at Nebraska and the gap is much closer between Nebraska and the rest of the B10 vs UCF and the rest of the AAC. Frost was set up for life here and could have parlayed this job into an NFL HC job at some point or one of the true blue bloods like USC, Bama, Ohio State or Texas. He sold himself short based on emotions.
yeah and this was something said pre Frost. Under the current conference situation and how UCF compares no Coach should ever average less than 8 wins a season. Houston & USF are the only 2 Programs in the AAC that can consistently match the Athletes any competent staff should be bringing in at UCF.

Not much in that article touches on points that we haven’t already mentioned for the last several months. It’s just broken down in a more concise and logical manner.
Frost is a great motivator, good recruiter, and an improved gameday coach who is now still only above average. His system was made for a Florida school, especially UCF with it’s talent at the time when he was hired and the additions that were gained through recruiting and transfers.
I doubt he will have a successful first year, but i’m pretty confident that he will have success at Nobraska as he’s a very good overall coach
That being said, will his success be great enough to satisfy the Nobraska fanbase? Will his head coaching inexperience and relatively inexperienced support staff at this level win close B-10 games consistently with equal talent levels?
Ultimately, I feel that he’s just not going to satisfy the nostalgic fanbase enough finishing 1st or 2nd in their division and losing CCGs.

wow. Probably the first Nebraska based article that has done some research on UCF and how there are certain intangibles in place that make it an easy place to win at. You know I wasn't the biggest GOL fan and he went 12-1, if Heup does the same in getting to a New Years day Bowl it would be the 3rd HC in short time period to do it.

Exactly what knowledgeable fans have been saying.....finally validated by the media and the Nebraska media to boot!

Reactions: Mikesi
I told you so. I said you guys were still butthurt over Frost dumping you. The meltdown continues after nearly 5 months?

Frost has better resources here then he could ever imagine. UCF is literally decades behind Nebraska from a facility standpoint. Not to mention we out recruited you after your best season in school history. Frost first recruiting class at UCF, after taking over the worst program in college football was better then Heupel Furst class taking over one of the best. Let that sink in. Literally no excuse for that.

Reactions: BIGSTICK67
I told you so. I said you guys were still butthurt over Frost dumping you. The meltdown continues after nearly 5 months?

Frost has better resources here then he could ever imagine. UCF is literally decades behind Nebraska from a facility standpoint. Not to mention we out recruited you after your best season in school history. Frost first recruiting class at UCF, after taking over the worst program in college football was better then Heupel Furst class taking over one of the best. Let that sink in. Literally no excuse for that.

Hey dickhead, read the article!

Douchebags Forever at Nobraska Spring Game.
The only insecure one constantly visiting us here that is having a meltdown. Epic insecurity after reading the article. The fear is real!

25ed066f04fe3706a44c9f3963da7bea--nebraska-cornhuskers-all-kinds-of.jpg

Reactions: LemmyKilmister

@Delusiional Forever. Now even YOUR own media says you are.

Not much in that article touches on points that we haven’t already mentioned for the last several months. It’s just broken down in a more concise and logical manner.
Frost is a great motivator, good recruiter, and an improved gameday coach who is now still only above average. His system was made for a Florida school, especially UCF with it’s talent at the time when he was hired and the additions that were gained through recruiting and transfers.
I doubt he will have a successful first year, but i’m pretty confident that he will have success at Nobraska as he’s a very good overall coach
That being said, will his success be great enough to satisfy the Nobraska fanbase? Will his head coaching inexperience and relatively inexperienced support staff at this level win close B-10 games consistently with equal talent levels?
Ultimately, I feel that he’s just not going to satisfy the nostalgic fanbase enough finishing 1st or 2nd in their division and losing CCGs.
He's obviously a good coach but it's all about 'fit' and conference peers. It will help that the Big10 West might be the weakest Power 5 Division but then the Big10 East has Urban Meyer, James Franklin, and Harbaugh. All proven and can recruit. Specifically James Franklin has to be a direct threat, if you watch Penn State the system looks almost identical to what Frost ran at UCF. If he doesn't win those recruiting battles it could be a situation where he wins the Big10 West every few years but gets worked by the Big10 East Champ. Similar to what has happened to the SEC East winner the last few years before Georgia started recruiting at an insane level.

He's obviously a good coach but it's all about 'fit' and conference peers. It will help that the Big10 West might be the weakest Power 5 Division but then the Big10 East has Urban Meyer, James Franklin, and Harbaugh. All proven and can recruit. Specifically James Franklin has to be a direct threat, if you watch Penn State the system looks almost identical to what Frost ran at UCF. If he doesn't win those recruiting battles it could be a situation where he wins the Big10 West every few years but gets worked by the Big10 East Champ. Similar to what has happened to the SEC East winner the last few years before Georgia started recruiting at an insane level.
Exactly. That level of football is the BEST that they can hope for anytime soon and that won’t be good enough. It will still be awhile (2-3 years) for them to reach Wisconsin and Iowa’s level best case scenario. If you don’t win the B-10 West, you’re basically irrelevant. That’s better than Wisconsin AND Iowa.

That's great an all but Nobraska doesn't play in the AAC and UCF doesn't play in the B10. You are missing the point when you compare UCF to Nobraska. You have to face the toughest B10 schedule with a sh*tty roster. Your recruiting footprint is hot garbage (the only thing hot in Lincoln). Plus you don't have the resource advantage in the B10 that UCF has in the AAC. Let that sink in for a moment. You are starting behind the 8 ball, while both Frost and Huepel had/have distinct advantages over the majority of their schedule. Enjoy 2-10.

Douchebags Forever at Nobraska Spring Game.
The only insecure one constantly visiting us here that is having a meltdown. Epic insecurity after reading the article. The fear is real!

25ed066f04fe3706a44c9f3963da7bea--nebraska-cornhuskers-all-kinds-of.jpg
I can always count on you to be so triggered that it requires you to reply multiple times. Sooo salty.

I get! Frost left you high and dry and now you’re obsessed with everything Frosty and Red.

You
7802502.JPG

I can always count on you to be so triggered that it requires you to reply multiple times. Sooo salty.

I get! Frost left you high and dry and now you’re obsessed with everything Frosty and Red.

You
7802502.JPG
Even your own fans think you’re a complete idiot. Every time you come over here to post it shows how insecure and scared you are of failure. You have absolutely no friends and the ony attention that you can get is being bashed by multiple posters day and night. It’s the only thing that saves you from a lonely life in a snowy, cold basement being ompletely delusional and schizophrenic. You’re the last of the Nobraska Trolls coming over The only one triggered, insecure and having a meltdown. The rest are all just content with 5-7.

drxZnv.png

Enjoy 5-7!

images

They have no experience at QB, a new system and a terrible defense without a lot of new faces. Spells disaster. A lot of people are focusing on Frost and the offensive side of the ball. They are going to look a lot like UCF in 2016 with a tougher schedule

Going back to OP question, what is the minimum wins for Heupel to live up to hype?

Agreed. 10-2 and hopefully a bowl win. 3 losses would be disappointing. Going undefeated again is not completely out of the question.

NObraska has the hardest schedule in the nation next year. 1-2 wins is what most people are predicting especially with a freshman QB. I personally see their ceiling at 4 wins and can see the possibility they don’t win a game at all.

He'll win more than any coach since Osbourne. The question is, will it be enough? 9 and 10 wins seasons can get you fired in Lincoln. Their division is a joke outside of Wisconsin. My prediction is he'll succeed there, but ultimately, the inability to get past Urban Meyer & Ohio State and win a Big 10 title will do him in.

NObraska has the hardest schedule in the nation next year. 1-2 wins is what most people are predicting especially with a freshman QB. I personally see their ceiling at 4 wins and can see the possibility they don’t win a game at all.
He'll win more than any coach since Osbourne. The question is, will it be enough? 9 and 10 wins seasons can get you fired in Lincoln. Their division is a joke outside of Wisconsin. My prediction is he'll succeed there, but ultimately, the inability to get past Urban Meyer & Ohio State and win a Big 10 title will do him in.
Wow. What a contrast in predictions!

No way he wins more than 7 or 8 his first year

Anything up to 2 maybe 3 (depending on how they come) would be a good first year for Heupel. Although 0-1 losses is also in play for sure. Anytime there is a coaching change there will be a learning curve for the players however I think the table is set for good run.

Losing Griffin hurts and they need to find somebody to take his spot as a leader and playmaker.

That's great an all but Nobraska doesn't play in the AAC and UCF doesn't play in the B10. You are missing the point when you compare UCF to Nobraska. You have to face the toughest B10 schedule with a sh*tty roster. Your recruiting footprint is hot garbage (the only thing hot in Lincoln). Plus you don't have the resource advantage in the B10 that UCF has in the AAC. Let that sink in for a moment. You are starting behind the 8 ball, while both Frost and Huepel had/have distinct advantages over the majority of their schedule. Enjoy 2-10.
You have no advantage in the AAC. You went 12-0 and didn’t even sniff a playoff spot.

Again, Nebraska recruits better then UCF. Nebraska has better resources then UCF. Nebraska has better infrastructure then UCF. No one would argue this outcome of Disneyland.

We will do better then Frost did his first season. (Which isn’t that hard to do). Will we go undefeated next year? Probably not because we actually play teams with a pulse. It’s not like we get to face cupcakes until the last game of the season.

Even your own fans think you’re a complete idiot. Every time you come over here to post it shows how insecure and scared you are of failure. You have absolutely no friends and the ony attention that you can get is being bashed by multiple posters day and night. It’s the only thing that saves you from a lonely life in a snowy, cold basement being ompletely delusional and schizophrenic. You’re the last of the Nobraska Trolls coming over The only one triggered, insecure and having a meltdown. The rest are all just content with 5-7.

drxZnv.png

Enjoy 5-7!

images
5-7? That would mean Frost did better at Nebraska his first year then UCF. Didn’t Frost go 6-7 at UCF two years ago with one of the weakest schedules in the nation?

I doubt UCF could have done better then 5-7 in the Big Ten last year.

5-7? That would mean Frost did better at Nebraska his first year then UCF. Didn’t Frost go 6-7 at UCF two years ago with one of the weakest schedules in the nation?

I doubt UCF could have done better then 5-7 in the Big Ten last year.
Ok 4-8. 7-5, 6-6, 5-7, 7-5, 8-5. Who the hell cares? Keep striving for irrelevancy.

Nobraska is a middle of the pack AAC school
Memphis, USF, UCF, Navy, Houston and possibly even SMU would have easily beaten them

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT