ADVERTISEMENT

G5 College Football Playoff

surfer98

Four-Star Recruit
Nov 30, 2017
I'm new to the board. I wanted to get thoughts of G5 playoff. I think it might be time to start it because we (UCF) clearly won't get an invite in the current system. Could end up being a moneymaker for the top G5 schools. UCF vs. Boise State would be an incredible match up and lots of people would watch.

Would make us admit we are second class. I liked someone else’ idea I heard on here that the two highest ranked g5 teams (not in the same conference) from the end of the season play a ooc game at the beginning of the next.

A G5 playoff would get no money because there would be absolutely no interest in it from the tv cartel.

Outside of our fanbase, and some other teams in our league, most other G5 teams get no support and have no fan base to speak of. We are really caught in no man’s land. We don’t belong in the G5 but can’t get into the P5.

I think if Power 5 conferences are looking to expand at some point it may be a way for UCF to separate itself from other group of 5 schools to be consistently in the group of 5 playoff. Currently, if we are not in a NY6 bowl we play in a crap bowl and no one watches. This would at least give something to play for beyond a conference championship. It would look better to be AAC and Group of 5 champion than just AAC champion.

Would make us admit we are second class. I liked someone else’ idea I heard on here that the two highest ranked g5 teams (not in the same conference) from the end of the season play a ooc game at the beginning of the next.

That does nothing to help us though. All it does is give one team a loss and the other a win that the committee wont recognize as quality. The G5's just have to schedule the best P5 teams they can and hope they are having a good year when they beat them.

P5 or bust is the only answer. The system sucks for sure. It is an invitational not a true National Champ playoff. What other sport does it this way? It all about TV and $$$..so unless your a P5 your not getting any.

I would rather see something like the NIT where it’s a mix of all conferences. Invite four teams; the top conference champs shunned by the CFI and other similarly qualified teams.

Would be better than watching two 6-6 teams playing in the nowhere bowl on a Tuesday afternoon.

You want to let asshats like Brett McMurphy win?

You don't throw in the white towel when you have one of the largest enrollments in America pumping out alumni in a State as Populous as Florida. An Anti Trust Lawsuit is a better idea.

Reactions: Nyght Shadow
We already have bowl games where G5s play each other. There is enough interest in those for them to exist currently. If we turn 3 or 4 of those into a G5 playoff system they will have more interest, sponsors and fans than they currently have. Also, then 60 0r 70 teams that currently have nothing to play for other than a bowl game in mind, UCF included, can then play with a true national championship in mind.

No quality G5 teams other than in the AAC? Not so sure that's true. A playoff including the top 8 of the likes of Boise State, Toledo, San Diego State, USF, Houston, Appalachian State, Marshall, Wyoming, Navy, Northern Illinois, UCF, Troy, Southern Mississippi, Colorado State & Memphis would definitely see interest. Many of those are already playing each other in year end bowl games. However, turn some of those bowl games into a championship playoff and the whole energy of those games, and the season of those conferences, will change.

It is proven that G5 games can get interest when there is something on the line. Look at the TV ratings for the War on I-4 this past Friday when both teams had an excellent season and there was something at stake for that game. Not talking about bowl games including G5 teams with 6-6 records like we currently see sometimes. This would be a playoff with G5 teams that have won 10, 11 or 12 games in the season.

It will be awesome, and we can finally say to the P5, we have our championship...until they get tired of the competition and then invite us back with an expanded playoff system.

I'm new to the board. I wanted to get thoughts of G5 playoff. I think it might be time to start it because we (UCF) clearly won't get an invite in the current system. Could end up being a moneymaker for the top G5 schools. UCF vs. Boise State would be an incredible match up and lots of people would watch.
Exactly.

I disagree. It would make us eligible to be a national champion, who is also willing to play, and defeat, any power 5 team who is not scared to play us.

Also note, this G5 playoff system could set up a OOC game for the next year where the P5 champ plays the G5 champ. IF the P5 isn't scared of it. That would also see significant interest, fans and sponsors.

You realize this is exactly what the P5 want. They can't separate themselves to a different division without the approval of a super-majority of Div1 schools, which will never happen. If we self downgrade ourselves, that would make thier lives so much easier.

Separating from the P5 is not the answer. But it's on the right track.

Someone needs to think of a nuclear option that will shake the P5 to its very foundation without jeopardizing our standing in D1.

Or compromising pictures. Blackmail could work, too.

It is proven that G5 games can get interest when there is something on the line. Look at the TV ratings for the War on I-4 this past Friday when both teams had an excellent season and there was something at stake for that game. Not talking about bowl games including G5 teams with 6-6 records like we currently see sometimes.
No offense but i think there's a perception that USF/UCF is above your typical G5 game.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
If i missed this my apologies, i'm against a g5 playoff, but i think the bowl payouts for American sponsored games needs to be increased.

"We(UCF)"...

C'mon, son. Your posts reads like that kid pretending to be an adult on Bojack Horseman
0lghgu0.jpg

You realize this is exactly what the P5 want. They can't separate themselves to a different division without the approval of a super-majority of Div1 schools, which will never happen. If we self downgrade ourselves, that would make thier lives so much easier.
Not a downgrade. We will still be just as good as they are. Just taking our ball and playing elsewhere since they are scared to play us.

Not a downgrade. We will still be just as good as they are. Just taking our ball and playing elsewhere since they are scared to play us.

That strategy never worked for the nerd who couldn't compete in back yard football.

The cool kids will just get another football.

We have to fight this fight from the inside. Once we step outside we can fight no more, making it impossible for us to realize our ultimate goal of ruling the nation.

It worked for the AFL. They are now called the AFC of the NFL.
I don't see something like that ever happening again. The powers that be took that voice of reason you're referring to outside long ago, and they continually stuffed dollars down its throat until it suffocated to death. That voice no longer exists, IMO. Not in college football, anyway.

Reactions: Nyght Shadow
I don't see something like that ever happening again. The powers that be took that voice of reason you're referring to outside long ago, and they continually stuffed dollars down its throat until it suffocated to death. That voice no longer exists, IMO. Not in college football, anyway.
Necessity is the mother of invention. Millions realize that a change is necessary. I don't know if that change will be any of the proposals that anyone in this room suggests...but the signs are there. A change is gonna come.

Reactions: ThreeDogKnight
Necessity is the mother of invention. Millions realize that a change is necessary. I don't know if that change will be any of the proposals that anyone in this room suggests...but the signs are there. A change is gonna come.

Divide & Conquer (not to be confused with the previous Rise & Conquer).

The CFP downfall starts with infighting within the P5. B1G must be infuriated with the results. Those flames need to be fanned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT