ADVERTISEMENT

Gabriel is BAD

In case anyone forgot this was his stat line:

Darriel Mack Jr. 11/30 97 3.2 1 1 13.8

Mack was great in the Memphis game but he only had 69 yards passing against ECU. His sample size is very small to insist he is a winner and DG isn't. I am personally very impressed with DG and I wouldn't mind doing some change of pace plays with Mack to let DG refocus but I don't see enough to think DG needs to sit.
Mack had over a hundred yards rushing vs ECU and something like an 80 yard run called back. Can’t discount that as a weapon

Reactions: PewPew-n-CrossFit
Mack had over a hundred yards rushing vs ECU and something like an 80 yard run called back. Can’t discount that as a weapon
Name a team that consistently has their QB run the ball 22 times a game that isn't a service academy running the option? If you want to install the triple option here at UCF maybe Mack is your guy, but there is a reason that only schools with significant recruiting disadvantages utilize that style of offense.

We utilized that simple QB run offense against ECU because ECU didn't have a pulse. Hell, Heupel sat Milton in that game, in which we still have pretty much zero proof that he was even injured at that time. That's how much of a non-threat ECU was at that time.

Name a team that consistently has their QB run the ball 22 times a game that isn't a service academy running the option? If you want to install the triple option here at UCF maybe Mack is your guy, but there is a reason that only schools with significant recruiting disadvantages utilize that style of offense.

We utilized that simple QB run offense against ECU because ECU didn't have a pulse. Hell, Heupel sat Milton in that game, in which we still have pretty much zero proof that he was even injured at that time. That's how much of a non-threat ECU was at that time.
Nobody is saying that he should be even running 10-15 times again. Howabout an effective 5-10 times for 40-60 yards like Joe Burrow on Saturday?

By the way, G5 schools DO HAVE a significant recruiting disadvantage. That’s why successful G5 schools have QBs that make plays with their legs

What’s with these extreme responses?

Last edited:
Reactions: PewPew-n-CrossFit
sort of related to DG or at least the QB depth chart...

why are our fans assuming Milton will be back next year? and even if he tries to come back he may never be the same, mobility & elusiveness was a major part of what made him 'go' as a QB and that may not be the same.

Didn't Teddy Bridgewater miss 2 years with a similar injury? and he was more of stand in the pocket QB

why are our fans assuming Milton will be back next year? and even if he tries to come back he may never be the same, mobility & elusiveness was a major part of what made him 'go' as a QB and that may not be the same.

Didn't Teddy Bridgewater miss 2 years with a similar injury? and he was more of stand in the pocket QB

I'd assumed he'd be back after they released more positive news about the injury but I've become more and more skeptical as time has gone on. Wish the best for him but I'll be surprised if he plays for us again. Hope I'm wrong.

I'd assumed he'd be back after they released more positive news about the injury but I've become more and more skeptical as time has gone on. Wish the best for him but I'll be surprised if he plays for us again. Hope I'm wrong.
I obviously love the guy and hope he comes back 100% but I don't think the fanbase or the Coaches should operate on the assumption that he is never playing a meaningful down at UCF again

And we need to stop with the 'if KZ was healthy narrative'. A lot of fans forget that durability was an issue before the knee injury.

He also made very many good throws in those games too. Some of those picks were bad decisions, but that doesn’t make him a bad player or mean he played a bad game.

Yes all three losses he was a bad player and played a bad game:

Vs pitt: 25/42 2TD 2 INT QBR: 32.7
Vs Cinncinatti 25/46 1 TD 3 INT QBR: 19.9
Vs Tulsa 23/38 1 TD 2 INT QBR: 36.8

Three away games...three duds..I'm hoping he gets better but lets face it against our best competition and on the road he has laid an egg. Also he has built numbers against inferior competition UCONN, FAMU, Houston (missing half its team), FAU.

I'm not writing him off but he's far from being a stud freshman QB. I still wonder how much different our season would have been had hard head Heup stuck with Wimbush and used Gabriel situationally

Nobody is saying that he should be even running 10-15 times again. Howabout an effective 5-10 times for 40-60 yards like Joe Burrow on Saturday?

By the way, G5 schools DO HAVE a significant recruiting disadvantage. That’s why successful G5 schools have QBs that make plays with their legs

What’s with these extreme responses?
What's extreme about what I said?

Joe Burrow and other top college QBs are effective getting rushing yards through scrambling. They aren't getting a lot of designed runs. Mack's yards were almost exclusively designed runs. He didn't really show much scrambling ability from what I remember, in fact I remember him being considerably flat-footed in the pocket.

And yes we have a recruiting disadvantage against P5 schools, but then again we're only playing at most 2-3 teams a year that have that advantage, and then we play at least 10 games a year that we have a significant recruiting advantage against because of our geographic location.

Last edited:
Also, Boise State, the most successful G5 program ever. I don't remember them ever having a dual-threat QB. Kellen Moore, what a burner.

Three away games...three duds..I'm hoping he gets better but lets face it against our best competition and on the road he has laid an egg. Also he has built numbers against inferior competition UCONN, FAMU, Houston (missing half its team), FAU.

I'm not writing him off but he's far from being a stud freshman QB. I still wonder how much different our season would have been had hard head Heup stuck with Wimbush and used Gabriel situationally
So what we’re all saying is he plays like a true freshman, like 90% or more of true freshman play. I went and looked at Nix’s stats, the kid on TCU, Slovis, Bachmeier, etc... they all stink it up on the road except for Slovis and Bachmeier. Bachmeier’s stats are nowhere near the production Gabriel has put up. Slovis looks like a total stud.

Reactions: muckdawg24
In case anyone forgot this was his stat line:

Darriel Mack Jr. 11/30 97 3.2 1 1 13.8

Mack was great in the Memphis game but he only had 69 yards passing against ECU. His sample size is very small to insist he is a winner and DG isn't. I am personally very impressed with DG and I wouldn't mind doing some change of pace plays with Mack to let DG refocus but I don't see enough to think DG needs to sit.
Again, DG is the better passer and will put up more number. I am not arguing that fact. What I am saying is the DJ has shown to rally the troops and post a comeback victory. He lost to what is now the best team in the country. The next comeback by DG, will be his first one. In all three loses this year he had the opportunity to mount a comeback and he was barely able to get a first down.

I have been consistently Pro DG but I wouldn't be opposed to Mack playing the entire Tulane game at this point. For one this is usually the time of the season where True Freshmen not named Trevor Lawrence hit a physical and mental wall plus I'm suspicious that he may have been concussed in the last game so 3 straight weeks of no contact may be the best thing for him long term.

It also will answer a lot of What Ifs going on here

They also don’t run RPOs, we do!
I am certainly not making the argument that the play-calling has been perfect for DG's given skillset this year. A little of that is to be expected, though, considering this is Heupel's first year with him. I thought Heupel did a good job of adapting to Milton's skillset in 2018, but maybe that was just Milton being able to overcome with sheer ability.

Certainly though, in the offseason, either they need to cut down on the RPO or Gabriel needs to get more comfortable in it. I think some of it is just a holdover from the Milton/Frost era, it's not like Drew Lock was running all over people at Missouri under Heupel.

Rushing:
Pitt 85 yards, 2.5 yards/attempt
Cincy 126 yards, 3.0 yards/attempt
Tulsa 167 yards, 3.6 yards/attempt
Quit blaming the QB when the OL takes games off.

What's your definition of "stud freshman QB" ? You guys drop this moniker like they're out there floating in the wind. Let’s take a look at how the top QB's in the nation fare based on current NCAA QB stats. And save me the weak competition argument because these top 20 QB's are NOT playing fcukin Alabama every week...

Let me know how many "True Freshman" you see on this list...

Dillon Gabriel 7th in passing yards (2,806), 8th in passing TDs (24), 10th in passing efficiency (164.7)

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/751

It also will answer a lot of What Ifs going on here
I’m certainly not going to be the guy who said Mack is better than DG. It’s unlikely he is. I just want to see what he has before we give up on him or have DG run the ball more

Sorry guys. The UCF QB needs to run more effectively. Not budging on that one

Reactions: GoKnights2003
I’m certainly not going to be the guy who said Mack is better than DG. It’s unlikely he is. I just want to see what he has before we give up on him or have DG run the ball more

It was Mack who "gave up on UCF" when he was fooling around this past July 4th Weekend and broke his ankle and then LIED to Coach Heupel on exactly how it happened.

Mack then missed ALL of summer camp and into the start of the season and that's when DG began to shine...so Heupel's decision was an easy one to make.

Too many UCF fans are entitled brats. A lot of them are well over 30. I don’t get it. He’s better than any other Freshman QB in our history. Culpepper was 6’3” 230 and playing La Lafayette and didn’t put up numbers like DG. Again people are complaining about a QB that throws for 290 yards and a TD. Granted the Ints hurt but the no call on targeting and Killins fumble hurt us just as much. Not to mention AK fair catch on 10 yard line with no one within 10 yards of him was a dumb decision. They were daring him to return it and he pussed out. We had 3 running TDS also. That should win us games. Especially against Tulsa, even more so with their backup QB.

You are correct. There is plenty of blame to go around but with the talent we have at QB there was no reason to play him exclusively especially when teams were just teeing off on him because they knew he wouldn't run.

What's extreme about what I said?

Joe Burrow and other top college QBs are effective getting rushing yards through scrambling. They aren't getting a lot of designed runs. Mack's yards were almost exclusively designed runs. He didn't really show much scrambling ability from what I remember, in fact I remember him being considerably flat-footed in the pocket.

And yes we have a recruiting disadvantage against P5 schools, but then again we're only playing at most 2-3 teams a year that have that advantage, and then we play at least 10 games a year that we have a significant recruiting advantage against because of our geographic location.

Those QBs are also more seasoned. What you want your freshman QB to do is stay in the pocket and learn to make his reads. this is the most important thing for him and the advancement as a QB. you want him learning that run is last. Remember Godfry? Kid was brilliant as a freshman because he could not be contained. Once teams learned the trick of pinching him into the pocket he was sunk. He was never able to adjust and then Bortles came in. DG will learn when to tuck the ball. KZ did the same

I don't think KZ will be beck. Certainly not the old KZ with his magic. The guy was the best I'd seen live. Makes me sad

Reactions: Poolside Knight
It was Mack who "gave up on UCF" when he was fooling around this past July 4th Weekend and broke his ankle and then LIED to Coach Heupel on exactly how it happened.

Mack then missed ALL of summer camp and into the start of the season and that's when DG began to shine...so Heupel's decision was an easy one to make.
If true Mack made a bad choice on the story told about how he broke his ankle. Outside of that, everything I have heard about Mack he is that he is an outstanding person and a team player. :sunglasses:

If true Mack made a bad choice on the story told about how he broke his ankle. Outside of that, everything I have heard about Mack he is that he is an outstanding person and a team player. :sunglasses:

True...he has been a good teammate but it was one BIG screw up this summer...as he obviously lost some (not all) trust with the coaching staff plus, his carelessness made him miss ALL of Summer/August Camp, which should have been his most important camp of his career.

ADVERTISEMENT