ADVERTISEMENT

***Gavin Blanchard joins the UCF Family following Bounce House Weekend visit (interview) 🏈

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com

At the conclusion of his official visit, Gavin Blanchard knew it was time. Surrounded by his family while meeting in head coach Gus Malzahn's office, the Class of 2025 offensive lineman let everybody know that he's ready to become a Knight.

Moments after the decision, Blanchard explain how it all went down.

"I met with Coach Malzahn, Coach (Herb) Hand and Jeris (McIntyre), my guy," Blanchard said. "I let them know I was committing and I'm all in through thick and thin. They all stood up and gave me big hugs. It was a good moment between my parents, the coaches, Miss Kristi (Malzahn) and all them. It was a great time."

Blanchard had been favoring UCF since the spring. He booked his Bounce House Weekend OV date while on campus in April for the spring game.

"(The official visit) basically affirmed what I already knew," Blanchard said. "This place is family. They're here through thick and thin. That's the most important thing. It's family here. That's why I want to be a part of it."

His family was also totally on board.

"This is huge for my whole family," Blanchard said. "I've got a few cousins that went to UCF and a few more that are planning to. When I say it was a family decision, it was a whole family decision. We decided on this and it's the right choice. I'm blessed to have them in my life."

The recruits stayed on property at Universal Orlando Resort and made a visit to the Islands of Adventure theme park.

"Universal, it doesn't get bigger than that," Blanchard said. "I went on a few rides. I didn't go on the VelociCoaster, that's a little scary... My favorite ride was probably the Hulk ride. I'm not going to go on it again though. The loop de loop threw me off. I almost passed out. But I had a great time."

Blanchard added the most fun they had was probably on campus participated in the Bounce House Weekend scavenger hunt. He also appreciated the relationship he forged with his player host, Cam Kinnie.

"He was a transfer from Georgia, so he's kind of new too," Blanchard said. "Me and him were going through some things together. He's a great guy. I appreciate him a lot."

UCF and Hand see Blanchard, who will attend Wiregrass Ranch High School as a senior, as a future offensive guard.

"I think from the conversations we had my base position will be left guard," Blanchard said. "In their offense they pull a lot. As a I grow here, I can play left guard, right guard and center. Be versatile with all three."

He prides himself on two traits in particular: Physicality and leadership.

"I'm going to come in and work, do my job and work to get my spot," Blanchard said.

Blanchard is looking forward to developing under Coach Hand.

"I think Coach Hand offered in the December/January time period and ever since then I've gotten so close to him," Blanchard said. "He's like a father figure in my life. I really appreciate him."

Blanchard said Georgia Tech, Ole Miss and Miami are a few of the other schools he considered, but his recruitment is done. He's canceled all upcoming visits.

"I feel like this really is the program of the future," Blanchard said. "I don't think they're blowing smoke. I feel like this is the place to be. I feel like I can do something special here and lead the way for what is to come."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News