ADVERTISEMENT

Getting rid of Tier 2 Nike for Tier 1 Adidas?

All the major companies are pulling back on all school deals. Nike and Adidas are basically letting those deals expire and telling them we will keep FB, MBK and WBk but all others you must purchase from. So some schools like Wake Forest, TCU and some others are splitting deals and letting sports get their own deals. Actually splitting up sports let’s the sports like baseball, softball, soccer, etc get better deals.
Under Armour is pulling out of all that and only interested in FB and Hoops but won’t offer anything else. They leveraged the company to the gills with poor contracts and that’s why they separated from UCLA. They couldn’t afford to pay the deal they signed. UCLA still legally challenging to get what’s owed even though they signed with Nike now.
UCF has approached companies like New Balance for baseball, softball, T&F, Tennis. New Balance is a power in baseball in particular right now and has top T&F and tennis athletes around the world. Plus they are private company and extremely profitable $5 billion company. Look for those deals to possibly materialize.

All the major companies are pulling back on all school deals. Nike and Adidas are basically letting those deals expire and telling them we will keep FB, MBK and WBk but all others you must purchase from. So some schools like Wake Forest, TCU and some others are splitting deals and letting sports get their own deals. Actually splitting up sports let’s the sports like baseball, softball, soccer, etc get better deals.
Under Armour is pulling out of all that and only interested in FB and Hoops but won’t offer anything else. They leveraged the company to the gills with poor contracts and that’s why they separated from UCLA. They couldn’t afford to pay the deal they signed. UCLA still legally challenging to get what’s owed even though they signed with Nike now.
UCF has approached companies like New Balance for baseball, softball, T&F, Tennis. New Balance is a power in baseball in particular right now and has top T&F and tennis athletes around the world. Plus they are private company and extremely profitable $5 billion company. Look for those deals to possibly materialize.
Interesting, thanks.

do you work in that field? I’m always curious how those deals shake out.

Based on some pics I have seen of new signees training in the IPF, I think we will see Adidas next season. The players we’re wearing Adidas cleats.

Anthracite was just one color. We can still have white, gold, and black helmets and a myriad of combos. So we go 80 combos to 25. I'm good.

Anthracite was just one color. We can still have white, gold, and black helmets and a myriad of combos. So we go 80 combos to 25. I'm good.
We used white helmets in 12 games or so. I’m assuming Nike didn’t have control over that.

We used white helmets in 12 games or so. I’m assuming Nike didn’t have control over that.
The issue with the white helmets had to do with the refurbishment facility catching fire and ruining the black, gold and anthracite helmets.

Last edited:
Reactions: UCF_Kaz
Our uniform game has gotten so lame since Frost was here. Its approaching O'Leary-level bad. Colorado dumps all over us so I hope we get better kits. At least we can look ok while we play like ish. That said, Mohajir is free to leave at any time.

I don't get why a brand should play a role in recruiting. I only personally wear Nike and UA and not Adidas but I wouldn't make a career decision based on a brand lol that seems pretty shallow, no offense. Correct me if I'm wrong
Yeah, but you're not a young recruit are you?

Reactions: Knight_Light
Our uniform game has gotten so lame since Frost was here. Its approaching O'Leary-level bad. Colorado dumps all over us so I hope we get better kits. At least we can look ok while we play like ish. That said, Mohajir is free to leave at any time.
Completely and totally agree. The designs are incredibly plain and the color pairings are equally lackluster. The Frost era uniforms definitely had some pop to them and made great use of our ACTUAL school colors.

I understand the history behind the whole Citronaut thing, but I personally think it’s time to shelve that whole gimmick. It was cool seeing the baseball team bring it alive for a game a few years ago, but now we’re branding a good portion of our merchandise with two different mascots. It also doesn’t help that the team is wearing an entire Carolina blue uniform this year. Seems like this whole program is in the midst of an identity crisis.

Completely and totally agree. The designs are incredibly plain and the color pairings are equally lackluster. The Frost era uniforms definitely had some pop to them and made great use of our ACTUAL school colors.

I understand the history behind the whole Citronaut thing, but I personally think it’s time to shelve that whole gimmick. It was cool seeing the baseball team bring it alive for a game a few years ago, but now we’re branding a good portion of our merchandise with two different mascots. It also doesn’t help that the team is wearing an entire Carolina blue uniform this year. Seems like this whole program is in the midst of an identity crisis.
I love the Citronaut because it hails to our University’s traditions and history. But it needs to be utilized for one game per season only. Wear it @ the Space Game and leave it at that.

I love the Citronaut because it hails to our University’s traditions and history. But it needs to be utilized for one game per season only. Wear it @ the Space Game and leave it at that.
I think we should retire the little guy. We don't seem to honor other University traditions and history. For example, our school colors are black and gold. The cheerleaders chant "black" . . . "gold!" We rarely ever where black and gold. The end zones are black and white not black and gold. Etc., etc., etc.

Definitely understand where you’re coming from, but the problem is that other sports use the moniker as well. It seems like anytime you put on ESPN+ or see a UCF athletics social media post, some sport is wearing the citronaut or has some blue schemed uniform throughout the year.

I like the citronaught head logo as an apparel option for fans on shirts or a polo.

But I agree it seems to be used too much . Also I don’t understand how UCF under Gus stopped using Gold with our uniforms. UCF’s colors are not Black & White

I think we should retire the little guy. We don't seem to honor other University traditions and history. For example, our school colors are black and gold. The cheerleaders chant "black" . . . "gold!" We rarely ever where black and gold. The end zones are black and white not black and gold. Etc., etc., etc.
"Little guy" makes $$$...hence why he and the Space Game (merch) are never going away.

• Love
Reactions: Nautiknight
"Little guy" makes $$$...hence why he and the Space Game (merch) are never going away.
Frankly, I am addicted to the Little Guy as a hillbilly in TENNESSEE is addicted to moonshine. I would even consider sending Knightro to the trash ben of history for Citronaut. 😆.

• Wow
Reactions: Yaes
I’ve never seen an actual gold uniform. Saints have numbers and accent as good but not the actual uniform.

I’ve never seen an actual gold uniform. Saints have numbers and accent as good but not the actual uniform.
Don't think I would care for gold uniforms. Notre Dame's official colors I believe are blue and gold and their uniforms look nice. A number of schools use a nice looking representation of gold in their end zone paint scemes. I don't see the problem. I always thought GOL was just trying to get our uniform colors and field as close Georgia Tech's as he possibly could.

Adidas is an athletic footwear company that makes real shoes. Nike is a marketing company that sells sneakers as a side business.

Gimme Adidas anyday !!!

Adidas is an athletic footwear company that makes real shoes. Nike is a marketing company that sells sneakers as a side business.

Gimme Adidas anyday !!!
I went to the Nike store in Chicago and they had Zion’s sneaker that exploded in the middle of the game on display. Marketing company indeed lol.

Two years ago, I didn't know WTH a Citronaut was. I was like WTH are these guys talking about. A symbol means nothing if no one knows what it means.

Making a Citronaut mascot is about as dumb as making a rainbow a symbol of your sexuality.

Two years ago, I didn't know WTH a Citronaut was. I was like WTH are these guys talking about. A symbol means nothing if no one knows what it means.

Making a Citronaut mascot is about as dumb as making a rainbow a symbol of your sexuality.
When I went to UCF no one talked about Citronaut at all. I like it as a once or twice a year thing .

was referring to gold more as an outline on the jerseys which we haven’t done as often

they are wearing gold helmets today that look great

ADVERTISEMENT