ADVERTISEMENT

Gifted programs are racist

TLDR. The gifted classes in my schools consisted of games, TV and computers. It was recess for socially retarded nerds.

I didn't see anything sensational about that piece.

This is more institutional racism ( tho I would rather use a less inflammatory word ), not the in your face racism that most ppl imagine when the word racism is used.

Not surprised. The poor have stupid kids. The rich have smarter kids. I will give the writer kudos for looking for ways to bring the downtrodden up rather than call for an elimination of those programs. We should be pulling from the top and attitudes like BTKs are why we are failing as a nation. Being smart shouldn't be criticized as a social flaw. It shouldn't be cool to be dumb.

Reactions: UCFhonors
Not surprised. The poor have stupid kids. The rich have smarter kids. I will give the writer kudos for looking for ways to bring the downtrodden up rather than call for an elimination of those programs. We should be pulling from the top and attitudes like BTKs are why we are failing as a nation. Being smart shouldn't be criticized as a social flaw. It shouldn't be cool to be dumb.

smgdmfh.

The poor have less motivated kids while the rich have more motivated kids. They aren't dumb necessarily, they just have parent(s) that don't give a shit.

It really doesn't even break along rich/poor lines. How a kid develops is entirely dependent upon what type of family structure exists at home (or if one exists at all). There are plenty of low income kids who succeed at school since they have parents (plural) that have committed to the child's well being and have come to the proven conclusion that 2 parents are better than 1.

But don't expect this to change any time soon. Not when the left wing in this country glorifies single mothers and ridicules "traditional family structures".

Reactions: btbones
It really doesn't even break along rich/poor lines. How a kid develops is entirely dependent upon what type of family structure exists at home (or if one exists at all). There are plenty of low income kids who succeed at school since they have parents (plural) that have committed to the child's well being and have come to the proven conclusion that 2 parents are better than 1.

But don't expect this to change any time soon. Not when the left wing in this country glorifies single mothers and ridicules "traditional family structures".
Absolute truth . No insult to single moms but my brother is one of those on the left you speak of . Has a kid that is back and forth from one house and set of routines / rules to the other differing set . It's a mess . The kid suffers

Generally speaking, it does. Sure there are always exceptions, but by and large, poorer kids have less stable homes and don't perform as well in the classroom as richer kids. The biggest reason why there aren't gifted classrooms in poorer zoned schools is that often the culture in those districts is that being smart is seen as a bad thing. It isn't celebrated or nurtured. It's ridiculed. Being good at sports or being cool is much more of a celebrated trait. And of course there's the whole drug abuse angle, which kind of goes along with the "being cool" idea.

Generally speaking, it does. Sure there are always exceptions, but by and large, poorer kids have less stable homes and don't perform as well in the classroom as richer kids. The biggest reason why there aren't gifted classrooms in poorer zoned schools is that often the culture in those districts is that being smart is seen as a bad thing. It isn't celebrated or nurtured. It's ridiculed. Being good at sports or being cool is much more of a celebrated trait. And of course there's the whole drug abuse angle, which kind of goes along with the "being cool" idea.

And why are poorer kids homes usually unstable? Because there's 1 parent at home, whom often has little interest in the child, and more interest in drugs.

And why are poorer kids homes usually unstable? Because there's 1 parent at home, whom often has little interest in the child, and more interest in drugs.

Yea you crossed out of reality when you said the single parent at home is usually more interested in drugs. Some, but not even close to the majority.

I've said it before, generational poverty was created by hundreds of years of an abusive system in the U.S. The only way the cycle gets broken is if people get their hands dirty mentoring kids that have grown up without that structure. nobody wants to do the work though. ain't my job, I'll just sit here and bitch all day about it.

It's not our job. We (not me personally) have our own kids to raise. It's the parents job to raise their children, not teachers, not baby sitters, not the government. If they can't do it then neuter them. I don't have kids right now because there is this magical thing called birth control. I know it's super difficult and expensive to put on a condom or take a pill, oh wait. It's called personal responsibility. That is what this country is all about. It's what it is built on. You don't want that then by all means be a dumfuk and keep supporting a failing entitlement system that continues to degrade our society. There is no incentive for people to get off welfare, especially when it's generational. Nothing will ever change that except reform.

White kids at smaller suburban schools are victims because they don't have the opportunity to play for big time high school football programs like kids at inner city public schools. They aren't getting exposure to college scouts like all the privileged kids at Miami Northwestern, and they're being denied equal opportunity to receive scholarships. Institutional racism. Should start a movement for football equality, complete with hashtag

Yea you crossed out of reality when you said the single parent at home is usually more interested in drugs. Some, but not even close to the majority.

I've said it before, generational poverty was created by hundreds of years of an abusive system in the U.S. The only way the cycle gets broken is if people get their hands dirty mentoring kids that have grown up without that structure. nobody wants to do the work though. ain't my job, I'll just sit here and bitch all day about it.

Right. So instead of people taking a hard look at themselves, and their own communities, they'll just wait for others to come in and do their parenting for them.

sounds great

Reactions: UCFWayne
White kids at smaller suburban schools are victims because they don't have the opportunity to play for big time high school football programs like kids at inner city public schools. They aren't getting exposure to college scouts like all the privileged kids at Miami Northwestern, and they're being denied equal opportunity to receive scholarships. Institutional racism. Should start a movement for football equality, complete with hashtag

#WhiteKidsPlaySportsToo

#WhiteAthletesLivesMatter

#Scholarships4WhiteKids

#WhiteMenCanJump

This and This

#WhiteKidsPlaySportsToo

#WhiteAthletesLivesMatter

#Scholarships4WhiteKids

#WhiteMenCanJump

This and this.

Wait, so Asians generally score better than whites? Clearly this must be institutional racism and the language in the tests must be biased toward Asians.*

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT